Author Topic: How far can a fish see?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline cognito

• IceShanty Rookie
How far can a fish see?
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:26 AM »
What distance can a fish seeand smell bait ? Im sure some see better than others.assume the water is clear.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How far can a fish see?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:43 AM »
I know Walleyes have special eyes that help them see better than most fish at night, the range of their sight however, I have no idea.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 01:21 PM »
Apparently they can see pretty dang far or else guys wouldnt sread tip ups so far apart ;D

Offline cognito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:57 PM »
Apparently they can see pretty dang far or else guys wouldnt sread tip ups so far apart ;D
LOL, good point. :D

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2007, 09:45 PM »
Whats a "tip-up"?    ;)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Whats a "tip-up"?    ;)
Its an object that fisherman often place around the lake to be used as pilons for racing snowmobiles and ATV's ;)

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:02 PM »
What distance can a fish seeand smell bait ? Im sure some see better than others.assume the water is clear.

It depends on water and species.
Get this. A lake I fish for perch, when the perch are on will start to shoot off the bottom from 40'-45' when my lure is only down 10'-15' from the surface. Also I have tried to use a Aqua-view and the visibility with the camera is no greater then 2'-3'.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Its an object that fisherman often place around the lake to be used as pilons for racing snowmobiles and ATV's ;)

ahh yes, now I understand ;)
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline HuntCast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Fish have fixed pupils....... they can't adjust their focus between near objects and far. A foot or two and their whole world starts to go blurry. They can hear and feel vibrations MUCH better.
Smell/Taste?? REAL good.

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2007, 02:24 AM »
Fish have fixed pupils....... they can't adjust their focus between near objects and far. A foot or two and their whole world starts to go blurry. They can hear and feel vibrations MUCH better.
Smell/Taste?? REAL good.

I do not agree!
Ever fish a jerkbait in any of the great lakes? Smallies come out of nowhere and will take a jerkbait floating on the surface over 30'-40' of water. Not much sound, vibration, or smell with this tactic. I think fish can see better than most people give them credit for. Until you can get a fish to talk, we can only make semi-educated guesses.
JAZII

2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline HuntCast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:24 AM »
I do not agree!

With what part? That fish have a fixed iris and the pupil is stuck open? Look it up, lol.
Ever fish a jerkbait in any of the great lakes? Smallies come out of nowhere and will take a jerkbait floating on the surface over 30'-40' of water. Not much sound, vibration, or smell with this tactic.

LOL, look at my profile. But yes, I've seen fish do things like that too. It could also be that they are seeing the silhouette of something blocking the light, like a shadow. I also think you are not giving the fish enough credit for it's other senses. If they can find a dying shad in the pitch black night from a distance, then I bet that you could find smallies that can do that, even on a moonless night.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:24 AM »
You hit the silhouette thing right on, and its a huge factor on bright days. The eyes staying at one focus point is true about fish but some have them fixed distances to suit the enviroment they prefer, which is why you see Bass come shooting out from god knows where sometimes, and why Brown trout will turn away after getting to within inches of striking. But like someone said until we get the little buggers to start talking we can all only make a guess from our experiences and others.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:43 AM »
With what part? That fish have a fixed iris and the pupil is stuck open? Look it up, lol.
LOL, look at my profile. But yes, I've seen fish do things like that too. It could also be that they are seeing the silhouette of something blocking the light, like a shadow. I also think you are not giving the fish enough credit for it's other senses. If they can find a dying shad in the pitch black night from a distance, then I bet that you could find smallies that can do that, even on a moonless night.
I could carless about your profile. ;D
I know that they have a fixed iris and open pupil. How do you know that their site is focused for only 2 feet? Maybe they can see very well out far and let all their other senses take over at close range.
Everyone has their own oppinion.
Like I said it's all an educated guess until you can get a fish to talk.
The part about blurry after 2 feet.
Question for your opinion. If it was the silhouette or shadow, why would color make a difference in pulling them up off the bottom to even take a look at the motionless floating lure?
I did not say that their other senses were lacking. I know 1st hand how well they can sense sound, vibration, and taste.

If fish did everything by the book and followed all the rules set by science, anybody could just read about fish and win every fish tournament that they chose to enter. Catch my drift?
Everyone should have their own opinion based on their own experiences, not what someone else tells you they should do.
JAZII

2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline HuntCast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Whoa....... don't take it personal. I said look at the profile because Lake Superior is outside my window, lol, so yes I have fished the clear water in the Great Lakes :) Sorry if you mis-understood where I was coming from. I'm not arguing, because there are lots of guys here who know more about this stuff than I do.

As for my opinion...... I think there is no such thing as opinion in science. Doesn't matter what my or anyone elses OPINION is, because it doesn't effect the science of the question one iota.
As far as the two foot part?? Well, I've been reading it for years in Bass Mater, and there are several mentions of it in previous articles posted on the internet. I'll take the people who study fish for a living at their word on this.
Also, I didn't say they couldn't see past two feet. I said past that is where they start to lose their ability to focus. What I meant is this. Look at your hand two feet in front of you. Can you still see the other side of the room? Absolutely.
As for the rest?? Who knows why fish do the idiotic things they do, lol. I will have to take the word of any biologists who happen to be reading the thread, lol.

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:49 PM »
I didn't take it personal, and I didn't mean anything personal to you. ;D

I summed-up my last post by the last few remarks.
JAZII

2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Trout can see 20+ feet beyond the water surface! :)

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:18 PM »
http://http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html

This is a link I found regarding what fish see, colors, distance, lighting, etc..

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.