Author Topic: Marcum M1  (Read 621 times)

Offline Stickjiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum M1
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 02:44 PM »
Hi all.
I just won a Marcum M1 from a local sportsman club raffle and would like to hear your thought and opinions and any advice you have about this unit.
I currently use a vexilar FL-18.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: Marcum M1
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 03:21 PM »
I have a  marcum lx5 ... I only used it a few times before buying a panoptix...
But I liked it better than the fl18 my buddy had

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2024, 03:43 PM »
Use it a time or two and see what you think. I have one and a vex f 18 and find they both do the job.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2024, 03:49 PM »
Very similar in function to the FL18 ..you may miss the low power setting though .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2024, 04:05 PM »
Congratulations on your prize...... I have had the Marcum LX-1 for 14 years. Pretty much bullet proof. Has the bottom zoom which helps jigging or setting tip ups. With the split screen for bottom zoom you can also see what's higher in the water column. Never can tell what's off the bottom going in blind. Your machine is probably digital but mine has the motor. Never a single problem unless the battery is low. Good Luck......
      Kim
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2024, 05:00 PM »
Both are good. Each have there pros and cons. I was a life time marcum guy and most recently was using a lx5i. Picked up a Vexilar flx30 and would never go back. So many more functions and settings.  Wish I would have switched to a flx20 or 28 years ago.

Try it out and see what you like better,  but personally I'd say sell both and buy a flx20. Best value buy out there. Lot of like new ones on marketplace with end of the year here. Unless you have a use for 2 flashers.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2024, 02:02 AM »
I use it, pretty basic and does the job.  All I need is to mark the fish and bring my lure to it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:19 AM »
I'll never own another Marcum or Vex. I made the switch to Garmin and will never look back
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:07 AM »
If you have the 12deg transducer on the Vex, you might notice the wider 20deg cone on the M1 if you are in deeper water. That might be a good thing if you are on a clear basin, or not so much on a drop off or with a lot of structure. I had the older version, the VX1i, and it worked OK, I like the soft case they put on it. I actually also had a FL18 at the time, and ended up selling them both and getting the FLX28 when it came out, mostly for the increased depth ranges, which is really nice for me, in my area I'm usually in less than 15ft, very rarely over 30ft here.

Offline ZLaLonde

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2024, 09:39 AM »
I got the M1 a couple years ago and it hasn’t let me down yet. Fantastic for panfishing, though the separation from lure to fish gets a bit sucky past 60 feet, unless you’re fishing for lake trout or bigger fish.

The deepest I've gone with it is 110 feet and it was honestly pretty good. Gain was turned all the way up to 5 for a good 10 hours straight and the battery didn’t even start to fade.

While i’d love panoptics or a livescope for that extra bit of information you get on fish behavior, flashers are fantastic on a budget, and i find it better at detecting bites, as livescopes tend to lag a little.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2024, 10:44 AM »
I got the M1 a couple years ago and it hasn’t let me down yet. Fantastic for panfishing, though the separation from lure to fish gets a bit sucky past 60 feet, unless you’re fishing for lake trout or bigger fish.

The deepest I've gone with it is 110 feet and it was honestly pretty good. Gain was turned all the way up to 5 for a good 10 hours straight and the battery didn’t even start to fade.

While i’d love panoptics or a livescope for that extra bit of information you get on fish behavior, flashers are fantastic on a budget, and i find it better at detecting bites, as livescopes tend to lag a little.

I have the Garmin Striker 5 no live scope but I do however get the benefit of having both flasher and graph screen I like to run them side by side
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2024, 07:31 AM »
I just bought a M1 for my daughter to fish with.  It seems to work fine for entry level graph.  I have a LX 7 and love it.  Whatever graph you get, it is better than no graph ;D  Best of luck.  Nez

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.