Author Topic: Between trips to the ice  (Read 680 times)

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Between trips to the ice
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 11:37 AM »
I constantly try to improve my gear. Knocked out a few rod holders in the last 2 days.
Just 1/4” rod bent to desired config.
Breakthrough came w/ the tall one. Most of us carry an electric drill for holes, hut stakes. So a very compact design and a 5/32 bit makes this one secure. Height can be of your choosing. I like thigh high as my hand is right there when standing.

Offline jdpark88

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Between trips to the ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 10:05 AM »
I haven’t ice fished in 40 years, so I’m considering myself a noob here. What kind of rod is your ‘1/4” rod’ you’re using for your pole holder. I like the looks of that. I had always used an old folding camp stool. TIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2024, 09:32 PM »
Just some discarded display rack from Tractor Supply. Nothing special, bends easily w/ a HF bending jig. You can also clamp 2 bolts in your vise and bend around those.

Offline jdpark88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2024, 09:32 AM »
Just some discarded display rack from Tractor Supply. Nothing special, bends easily w/ a HF bending jig. You can also clamp 2 bolts in your vise and bend around those.

Thank you

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2024, 10:12 AM »
By coincidence I made 3 similar holders 2 weeks ago with varying heights. Mine just has the single U so that the rod rocks back and forth. There wasn't enough wind to jig my bait/lure. The rod was bending quite a bit with the weight of the rod being blown a bit in the wind.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2024, 09:07 PM »
Already upgraded to version 2.0.
The tall one that slips into a drilled hole works, however thanks to our intense sun it slowly melts out the hole and leans. Painted the bottom 1/3 white after I returned from the lake today.👍🏻

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2024, 09:29 PM »
Mine leaned a bit too but I did not see that as a problem----mine are fairly tall.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.