Author Topic: Record through 2 inces of ice!!!!  (Read 1904 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Record through 2 inces of ice!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2024, 07:14 PM »
I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed in a record holder. How can you make such a terrible decision, and still come out ahead?
-Tom

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2024, 07:36 PM »
Looks like he's on a pretty consistent sheet of ice, probably safer than some of the late ice many find acceptable

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:05 PM »
I know good, solid, clear ice is surprisingly strong, I always play with it on shore, but he was one fall away from breaking through. You could probably pee your way through 2" of ice. I will never condone something so stupid, and now we have video of a guy showing the world his risk vs reward.
-Tom

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2024, 02:03 AM »
#googan ;-)
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2024, 03:26 PM »
I have went through 4-5 times and was always 6-7 in of white ice never went through 2” of clear.but some people go just of what a tape measure says.be careful with that mindset

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2024, 05:25 PM »
I have went through 4-5 times and was always 6-7 in of white ice never went through 2” of clear.but some people go just of what a tape measure says.be careful with that mindset

Says the guy who didn't learn after the second time. ::)

0 times through the ice for me, other than screwing around on shore to see what ice will hold. It's not that hard to break through 2" of ice. A good solid fall will do it.
-Tom

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2024, 09:57 AM »
Same, way more faith in 2" of clear ice than a foot of frozen slush

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2024, 11:55 AM »
I know good, solid, clear ice is surprisingly strong, I always play with it on shore, but he was one fall away from breaking through. You could probably pee your way through 2" of ice. I will never condone something so stupid, and now we have video of a guy showing the world his risk vs reward.

Every moment in life is all risk v reward... There's a risk you'll be killed on your commute to work, the reward is a paycheck and I'm guessing you do it 5 times a week... He's a young fit guy wearing a float suit who appears confident he'd survive and be successful at self rescue after falling through into 2'-3' of water right next to shore. The tiny pond he was on is 13 acres total with an average depth of less than 3 feet, most every monster bow I've seen caught in the northeast came from very shallow water typically around knee deep, it's a bow's normal hunting grounds and where most folks target them...

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2024, 01:58 PM »
Every single ice trip is a risk. Knock on wood I have never gone in further than one leg up to the hip. However I have been on 8" of clear black ice and 50 yards away is 1-3" of clear black ice. I was on 1.5-2" of ice couple years ago walking in and could hear it cracking under us
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2024, 02:52 PM »
ABS! Always Be Spudding!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2024, 05:46 PM »
Risk is Relative:

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2024, 11:21 PM »

Wow you’re so badass!

And no spikes or floatation in sight. I checked some of his old posts. He seems to post that standing picture as a brag and has for years. It's only a matter of time until he ends up like those "experienced" guys in Minnesota from a couple weeks ago. All it takes one bad day.
-Tom

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2024, 05:03 AM »
Slayer curious how you got that jacker set up see you have line around trigger also enlighten me please.  Love your all photos btw

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2024, 11:00 AM »
Hey if the Ice is safe it's safe.  Been icing for 50 years+. A few years ago me and a buddy pushed the envelope a little too far and ended up floating on a wind-blown sheet of ice into the middle of the lake. The sheet was only 4-6" thick but got lucky when the wind shifted and blew us back onto another sheet that we jumped to and made it back to shore.

tape measure is meaningless.  Other factors are much more important to ice safety. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2024, 11:01 AM »
Slayer curious how you got that jacker set up see you have line around trigger also enlighten me please.  Love your all photos btw

Its a normal setup.  I use a loop of braided line in place of that plastic trigger loop that comes with the jackers.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2024, 11:03 AM »
And no spikes or floatation in sight. I checked some of his old posts. He seems to post that standing picture as a brag and has for years. It's only a matter of time until he ends up like those "experienced" guys in Minnesota from a couple weeks ago. All it takes one bad day.

I like to post it for you Nervous Nellies! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2024, 02:00 PM »
Hey if the Ice is safe it's safe.  Been icing for 50 years+. A few years ago me and a buddy pushed the envelope a little too far and ended up floating on a wind-blown sheet of ice into the middle of the lake. The sheet was only 4-6" thick but got lucky when the wind shifted and blew us back onto another sheet that we jumped to and made it back to shore.

tape measure is meaningless.  Other factors are much more important to ice safety. ;D

Why is it always guys who end up in ridiculous emergencies the ones giving safety advice? Saying the tape measure is meaningless is bullcrap and you know it. If you really want to push the envelope to where you are 1/2" of melting from falling through, then at least have a life jacket, spikes, rope or something. Don't be dumb. Don't get cocky. So many people have gone through this year and it's really getting hard to feel bad for them. Your family doesn't deserve for you to be doing something so stupid.
-Tom

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2024, 08:17 PM »
Do I really need to be Politically Correct when ice fishing? :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2024, 11:05 PM »

Of course not. The same way people on shore can just stand and watch instead of help as you flop in your own stupid decision.

Just don't tell people what you do is safe. Not that you need to as you stand next to a melting hole with a smug look. We get the message. You are so cool.
-Tom

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2024, 05:11 AM »

No you don't have to be. But use some ****censored word****ing common sense unless you have nothing to live for. You are flittering with death just plain stupid. I love ice fishing and I love swimming but I never want to mix the 2
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2024, 06:09 AM »
No you don't have to be. But use some ****censored word****ing common sense unless you have nothing to live for. You are flittering with death just plain stupid. I love ice fishing and I love swimming but I never want to mix the 2

Not telling anyone what to do or not to do here. Just passing along my experience which is that you can’t rationalize an irrational mind. I learned this long ago and it gives me peace in knowing people will do and say what they will, and that I have zero say in it. So, I don’t let it affect me in the slightest, and I don’t try to change it in the least. That would be like, pushing a boulder, up a hill, and expecting it to stay at the top of the hill….

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2024, 08:36 AM »
Man never seen a Chromer look so dark, he have that thing on the hood like a dead deer?
Congrats on the record, caught quite a few off Erie water threw the ice, man do they scream!!! Lots even more ;D
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2024, 07:03 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.