Author Topic: New to Me Safety Item  (Read 906 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New to Me Safety Item
« on: Feb 06, 2024, 11:33 AM »
I added a new item to my plethora of fishing gear this year.  A waterproof rolltop backpack.  I more so intended for it to be used in saltwater surf fishing but seems like a great addition to the ice fishing arsenal and another added piece of safety equipment when walking out.  Any dry bag can be used as a flotation device so having one strapped to my back on top of my floatation bibs seems like a great way to keep me above the ice surface if I was to fall through.  They can be had for like $60 but at any price it seems like a no brainer.  Can keep batteries, drills, etc. dry in the bag if it inclement weather.  All around a great addition.
westernmas on the finder

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to Me Safety Item
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:20 PM »
A dry bag is not a bad idea, but I think you are over estimating it's ability as a safety item. You wouldn't really float unless it was filled with light items, and filled with air. If you had your drill, battery, and more in there, it would not float. I just don't see a person dumping out the contents, filling it with air, and then using it to float. You could have used that energy to just get out of the water. You would be better off clipping a foam throwable flotation seat onto the pack, and using that.

The dry bag, fine idea. For less demanding tasks, those 2.5 gallon Hefty bags are amazing and cheap.
-Tom

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:07 AM »
The floating boat seat cushion.  However I haven't brought it out in forever.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:20 AM »
If it did float I will push your face into the water. Better off with chest rig so it will make you float on your back. Ice picks around neck and mounted on front of chest. Get out as fast as you can is your best bet.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I think you guys overestimate how much it takes to make you buoyant.  You aren't a cinderblock plus I have flotation bibs.  The bag is 38L and a drill and battery and me is not going to sink a bag that sized even partially filled with air.  Go take a basketball and try to bring that to the bottom of a pool or even 10L dry bag filled with air.  Heck you can even use a pair of pants as a flotation device in an emergency.

Obviously you can wear a life jacket and I have when checking early/late ice but figured this serves multiple purposes.  Now I'm going to be floating around on it in the bath tub to test the theory.  I'll be sure to post a pic for you guys.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:28 PM »
I would like to see you try to get your pants off . I have done it in SAR training in the NAVY  in warm salt water.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2024, 05:39 PM »
Idk if I would consider it safety gear although I understand what you're getting at. Only need ≈1.5gal of air to float someone and your fancy bag has the potential to hold 10.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2024, 06:03 PM »
Idk if I would consider it safety gear although I understand what you're getting at. Only need ≈1.5gal of air to float someone and your fancy bag has the potential to hold 10.

Hell just tie a couple empty 1 gal. milk jugs around yer neck! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:44 PM »
This isn’t a bad idea at all - but it’s a good point that having this on your back could push your face into the water - which, depending on the exact circumstances, could obviously be very bad.   Have a super efficient flotation device readily available is never bad - but with most good ideas, appropriate execution is critical to success. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:31 PM »
Pat you should just rock a dry suit!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:09 PM »
Floatation is only good if it helps you get out of the water. If you cannot do that quickly you will die from hypothermia, not drowning
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.