Author Topic: Dewalt batteries for Kdrill  (Read 452 times)

Offline granters11

• IceShanty Rookie
Dewalt batteries for Kdrill
« on: Jan 23, 2024, 10:59 PM »
I used my kdrill for the first time today. I have the dewalt dcd999 and used a 5ah battery. The first battery only drilled 8 holes at 16 inches of ice. I was kind of disappointed so I’m wondering if there’s a better dewalt battery to use. I kept the batteries warm. Had 2 of them with.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dewalt batteries for Kdrill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:17 AM »
The k drill cuts the worst of all augers they will consume alot of batt. Power I had one when they first came out and got rid of it within a weak.and got the lazer hand auger in 7in what a difference in cutting ice. I also have the dewalt 996 platform and 5ah Batts. Check and do a search for k drill info on this site. You will see that they are the worst on batteries

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:52 AM »
The DCD999 shines with a Flexvolt battery ..as stated the K drill does take more power to turn.

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dcd999t1/20v-max-12-brushless-cordless-hammer-drilldriver-flexvolt-advantage-kit

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:01 AM »
I use the Milwaukee platform on my K drill.  I used to use the 5 ah battery and started to notice the same thing.  Mine could have been age of the battery, and I could get about 20 holes thru 20" ice.  Tried to drill some of the holes, let the battery cool down, and then drill out the rest.

I ended up moving up to the 8 ah and 12 ah level, and have no issue drilling the amount of holes we need.   
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 12:30 PM »
I started out with a DeWalt DCD996 and 5 Ah batteries with my 7.5" K-Drill. As mentioned, chipper blades are not the most efficient at drilling holes but it was and still is very good at re-drilling previous day holes (in a permanent shack). Eventually acquired the 9 Ah Flexvolt batteries which provided much more torque and staying power than the standard 5 Ah.

I've since upgraded to the DeWalt 999 designed to work best with the Flexvolt batteries, and yes does work very well with them. Then purchased a DeWalt lawn mower last year with dual 12 Ah Flexvolt batteries. Started using these this season and WOW! Amazing how much more torque and life is provided by the higher amp batteries. Can't imagine how fast it would cut with a shaving bit.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2024, 12:35 PM »
 Drift Dodger  a question for you my buddy has the DCD996 and 9ah Fexvolt and quite a difference in performance from the 5ah ...is there a large noticeable difference between the DCD996 vs DCD999 using the 9ah Flexvolt ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2024, 02:27 PM »
I no longer have the 996 but it definitely performed much better with the 9 Ah than the 5 Ah battery. I got a 6 Ah Flexvolt battery packaged with a different tool, but it doesn't seem to provide much improvement over the 5 Ah non-Flexvolt.

With the Dewalt DCD999 the 9 Ah Flexvolt is very good, perhaps somewhat better than the 996. Never had the 12 Ah Flexvolt with the 996, but definitely is awesome on the 999.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:52 PM »
As said any chipper blade gas or electric auger will need to work harder than a shaver blade. It was the main reason I went with the Pistol Bit/M18 combo. I used the 5 amps that came with it and they did pretty good for a lot of the season until we got 3 ft of ice then the amount of holes really dropped off. I bought a 12 amp this fall and we have had a couple trips so far where I get home and the charger is still on green with full bars on the battery. Our last time out we had about 15 inches of ice and this beast never hesitated for a second. Love the big 12 amp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.