Author Topic: THERE IS NO ICE FISHING IN ATLANTA  (Read 3027 times)

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
THERE IS NO ICE FISHING IN ATLANTA
« on: Dec 18, 2023, 11:21 AM »
Greetings all ! Yes...I live in Atlanta and headed to the Brainerd JC Fishing Extravaganza in Minnesota !
Never been Ice Fishing in my life...much less ever seen a frozen lake. lol
I am an avid bass fisherman in Georgia and wondering about equipment. I’ve been trolling this site which is very helpful, but I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer to this.
Fishing Reels!
Looks like you guys use really light line for this. I have lots of light spinning reels I can mount up on an Ice Rod. Is that ok? Do I really need to invest in an “ice specific” reel? I’ll probably only do this once in my life so I’m hoping I can use some equipment I already have.
Any guidance or other recommended threads appreciated.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: THERE IS NO ICE FISHING IN ATLANTA
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:01 PM »
I assume you will be fishing for walleye, or panfish since you are going to be in Brainerd?  There is no reason why you cannot use a spinning reel you already have.  I switch reels out between hard and soft water fishing all the time.

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:01 PM »
The short answer - yes, that’s okay.  There are a lot of options and variability for reels, line, rods, and technique - depending on what you really want to target.  Be careful, be respectful, and have fun.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/gofishing/learn-ice-fish.html

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:12 PM »
Really appreciate it. Unlike a typical Bass tournament where you turn in your best 5 fish... this appears to be a "big fish" competition.
So yes, Walleye or Pike are probably my primary targets.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:25 PM »
Important tip: You don't need to buy ice to keep the beer cold.  ::)  Don't snicker. My non-ice fishing brother actually did this the first time I got him to traipse out with us. At least his intentions were good! Can't have you lookin' the fool  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:28 PM »
That's like the best tip I have received. lol. I was actually concerned the beer would freeze !
I have never been in a situation where I needed to keep the beer warm.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:40 PM »
Forget about reels. Hope your dressing well because a frozen southern boy popsicle is not going to matter which reel you have….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
 Welcome to the site and I hope you have a great experience…✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:44 PM »
Another important tip: keep your hands dry.

Doesn’t matter what type of reel you use

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:46 PM »

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Another important tip: keep your hands dry.

Doesn’t matter what type of reel you use

...thats a good point. Noted sir lol

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2023, 12:58 PM »
Forget about reels. Hope your dressing well because a frozen southern boy popsicle is not going to matter which reel you have….🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
 Welcome to the site and I hope you have a great experience…✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️

Wise words.  Keeping your hands and feet warm is key. Nothing turns an outing to crap faster than cold fingers or feet, imho.

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2023, 01:03 PM »
Wise words.  Keeping your hands and feet warm is key. Nothing turns an outing to crap faster than cold fingers or feet, imho.

Heated gloves...Heated socks... Check!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2023, 02:51 PM »
Good boots ...going up a size or two can be helpful for wiggle room ...neck gator/scarf....gloves ...xtra gloves and xtra xtra gloves ..swapping them out when they get wet . some rechargeable double sided hand warmers can be quite useful.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2023, 03:12 PM »
Maybe put some braid on that reel.  Low stretch and lack of memory helps detect the bites better. 

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2023, 05:18 PM »
If you are targeting pike or walleye, get ahold of some tipups if the tournament allows these to be used. I am nearly exclusively a tipup fisherman, for all species that can be caught in NY.

Not only do they allow you down time from active angling so that you can eat and drink and socialize while still fishing, the sight of a flag going up still gets us guys in their 4th decade of doing this excited.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2023, 06:23 PM »
I haven't been out that way yet, but Brainerd area is ice fishing mecca, and the socializing will be a huge part of it for sure. You'll meet some characters, and I'm sure they'll be just as glad to meet you.

Looks like you've gotten some great advice so far. Keep browsing threads, plenty more to learn.

I grew up trout and bass fishing in Virginia, and fell desperately in love with ice fishing when I moved up to Minnesota. I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the same way. Just remember to stay warm. It's easier to shed layers and cool down than warm up if you're under-dressed.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask any and all more questions, this might be the most helpful and friendly website left on the internet
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2023, 07:53 AM »
Don't have your 1st beer till after noon! Long day,  ::)

Get some hand/footwarmers
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2023, 09:11 AM »
Don't have your 1st beer till after noon! Long day,  ::)

Get some hand/footwarmers

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!!  ;D
-Matt

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2023, 09:44 AM »
Maybe put some braid on that reel.  Low stretch and lack of memory helps detect the bites better.

This is the first mention of using braid. I will definitely look into that. Thanks

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2023, 09:53 AM »
If you are targeting pike or walleye, get ahold of some tipups if the tournament allows these to be used. I am nearly exclusively a tipup fisherman, for all species that can be caught in NY.

Not only do they allow you down time from active angling so that you can eat and drink and socialize while still fishing, the sight of a flag going up still gets us guys in their 4th decade of doing this excited.

I've read up on these a bit. Definitely WAY out of my wheelhouse with these...but i get the advantage. I am allowed 2 holes. Maybe I "tip" one and work the other. I see them on amazon. They don't cost any more that an ice rod is going to. Ill continue to research. Thanks !!!

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2023, 09:54 AM »
I haven't been out that way yet, but Brainerd area is ice fishing mecca, and the socializing will be a huge part of it for sure. You'll meet some characters, and I'm sure they'll be just as glad to meet you.

Looks like you've gotten some great advice so far. Keep browsing threads, plenty more to learn.

I grew up trout and bass fishing in Virginia, and fell desperately in love with ice fishing when I moved up to Minnesota. I wouldn't be surprised if you feel the same way. Just remember to stay warm. It's easier to shed layers and cool down than warm up if you're under-dressed.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask any and all more questions, this might be the most helpful and friendly website left on the internet

Thank you ! I cant wait  :)

Offline BASSCYN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2023, 10:30 AM »
I've read up on these a bit. Definitely WAY out of my wheelhouse with these...but i get the advantage. I am allowed 2 holes. Maybe I "tip" one and work the other. I see them on amazon. They don't cost any more that an ice rod is going to. Ill continue to research. Thanks !!!

Although...not being local...and up against 10,000 fisherman. Im not even going to try to get live bait. Ill be relegated to plastics if in going to use one of these. Not sure how effective that will be.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2023, 12:18 PM »

Works pretty good on braid and guides

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Although...not being local...and up against 10,000 fisherman. Im not even going to try to get live bait. Ill be relegated to plastics if in going to use one of these. Not sure how effective that will be.

A wise member of this forum told me a few years back, in derbies with a large turnout it’s important to have a presentation different than all the others. I since added beads and blades to my pike tip up leaders. Some beads even glow for an added attractant.

Thanks again for that tip esox_xtm!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2023, 12:39 PM »
 Good one  ATC never hurts to think outside the box

Offline sodussut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2023, 01:06 PM »
I prefer mittens to gloves; gloves will not keep your hands warm like a leather.lined work glove. And don't put on your warm weather clothes until you get to your fishing destination to prevent sweating and wetting your body. That is a killer for sure!
Beer will freeze, try fortified  wines with alcohol over 16%  or the hard stuff!  Better yet, don't drink and you will stay warmer.
Have a ball!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2023, 01:22 PM »
A wise member of this forum told me a few years back, in derbies with a large turnout it’s important to have a presentation different than all the others. I since added beads and blades to my pike tip up leaders. Some beads even glow for an added attractant.

Thanks again for that too esox_xtm!

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2023, 01:44 PM »
Important tip: You don't need to buy ice to keep the beer cold.  ::)  Don't snicker. My non-ice fishing brother actually did this the first time I got him to traipse out with us. At least his intentions were good! Can't have you lookin' the fool  ;)2

If you have beverages on the ice it is harder to keep them warm enough so they do not freeze.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2023, 01:51 PM »

They are allowed. You can also buy 2 tickets and fish 2 holes. i would not run a tip-up but I would run one jigging pole and one bobber rig with a live minnow.

https://www.icefishing.org/about/faqs/

https://www.icefishing.org/about/official-rules/

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2023, 02:09 PM »

I believe you have to buy a ticket for each hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.