Author Topic: Will this DeWalt drill be good for drilling the ice?  (Read 3432 times)

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
Will this DeWalt drill be good for drilling the ice?
« on: Jan 30, 2022, 07:20 PM »
I burnt up my Dewalt non brushless DCD771 today. Will this DCD996B be a good replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DR90MM6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AUEUXQQV6YS3R&psc=1

Offline Fireg529

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Will this DeWalt drill be good for drilling the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2022, 09:12 PM »
I’m not a Dewalt owner, or user, but reading the specs. It looks like it is more than capable of the task at hand.
Better to have fished and lost, than to have never fished at all.

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2022, 09:41 PM »
Worked perfect 3 years for me on  pistol bit!! :) :)

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2022, 12:02 AM »
I made the same mistake and made the same replacement. This is my second season with the brushless and no complaints so far. Punched a couple hundred holes at least. Keep your blades sharp and your batteries warm and you will love it.

Offline LDAWG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:31 AM »
Good question. If you don't mind I would also like to ask if anyone has a favorite Makita drill that doesn't burn out on the ice. I've already have their cheapest model die on me but I still have a bunch of Makita Lithium ION batteries, so I want anther Makita drill that can handle an auger. Thanks!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:50 AM »
Good question. If you don't mind I would also like to ask if anyone has a favorite Makita drill that doesn't burn out on the ice. I've already have their cheapest model die on me but I still have a bunch of Makita Lithium ION batteries, so I want anther Makita drill that can handle an auger. Thanks!

Some of the tool outlets may have them cheaper and/or refurbished

The 18V LXT Brushless Cordless ½" Hammer Driver-Drill  Model XPH14Z

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-1-2-In-Cordless-Hammer-Driver-Drill-Tool-Only-XPH14Z/315293584?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-205598811-_-315293584-_-N&
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:56 AM »
If I had batteries I would try to stay with that brand. I don’t know anything about Makita specs but they were definitely one of the leaders before the lithium ion craze hit. It took them a little while to catch up but I’m sure they’re back.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:52 AM »
Worked perfect 3 years for me on  pistol bit!! :) :)

Since it has 3 speeds do you still run it on the lowest speed?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:25 AM »
I have the Dewalt drill that you are looking at (DCD996) and it has been great.  I've been using it with a 6" mini-Nero for a few years with no issues whatsoever.  Hard pressed to kill a battery with that setup.  I just bought an 8" Pistol Bit for it and that is a completely different animal.  I used about a battery and a half drilling 30-40 holes in 12" of ice.  Figured out that this combination isn't great for hole hopping!  Will stick to the 6" for hole hopping and the 8" when setting up tipups.  Also was never concerned with keeping the batteries warm before.  Going to have to pay more attention to that with the 8".

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Since it has 3 speeds do you still run it on the lowest speed?

Yes, I run mine at the lowest speed.  I am using a K-Drill and it drills 15" of ice in less than 30 seconds with the 996.

Chris

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2022, 10:10 AM »
For those kicking across the thread these are the battle tested drills

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2022, 08:52 AM »
I have been using that same drill for 6 years. Works great with an old Mora 7" auger. Low speed, hammer off.
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2022, 10:11 AM »
First question I would ask is - what you connecting the drill to? 

Looks like you have the Dewalt and Milwaukee drills covered. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2022, 11:41 AM »
Went out this past weekend and tried my new cordless setup. Here is what i was using and the results:

Dewalt DCD996 (New)
Dewalt 5ah Battery (New and fully charged)
Eskimo 8" pistol bit w/ center point (new)

With this setup, i cut 13 holes through 15" of ice and used it to anchor down my shack with 3/8" x 5" Lag bolts.

At the end of the day my battery still showed a full 3 bars. I made sure to keep the batteries as warm as i could.

That's almost 200" of ice!! I'm impressed and will never go back..

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2022, 08:58 AM »
Make sure its brushless and you have a hammer handle for it. 5A and up for batteries otherwise the cold and drilling will zap it quick

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2022, 10:19 AM »
Went out this past weekend and tried my new cordless setup. Here is what i was using and the results:

Dewalt DCD996 (New)
Dewalt 5ah Battery (New and fully charged)
Eskimo 8" pistol bit w/ center point (new)

With this setup, i cut 13 holes through 15" of ice and used it to anchor down my shack with 3/8" x 5" Lag bolts.

At the end of the day my battery still showed a full 3 bars. I made sure to keep the batteries as warm as i could.

That's almost 200" of ice!! I'm impressed and will never go back..

Another convert welcome aboard ..enjoy your set up . Note getting the larger flexvolt batteries will up your game even more ..my buddy has your set up w/9ah flexvolt and it is a BEAST. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2022, 01:21 PM »
Can you use the 9ah flexvolt battery the dewalt 991?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:32 PM »
Can you use the 9ah flexvolt battery the dewalt 991?

Yes ..the 991 996 997 998 999 all use the same style battery ..even the new flat stack battery

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2022, 02:34 PM »
All the cordless tools I own are Dewalt. No problems.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline dan.houston89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2022, 01:35 PM »
I have nothing against Dewalt but i have a buddy that has had issues with his chuck letting loose after the drill comes to a stop.  Almost lost his auger so just a heads up.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2022, 02:06 PM »
I have nothing against Dewalt but i have a buddy that has had issues with his chuck letting loose after the drill comes to a stop.  Almost lost his auger so just a heads up.

Not sure this is 100% correct but checking the manual may have the answer as well

Offline ChrisL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2022, 04:11 PM »
Not sure this is 100% correct but checking the manual may have the answer as well

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIYZIWPRBos

Can someone show me a manual that says this is the right procedure?  Sounds like an old wives tale, I looked in my Dewalt manual and saw no mention of this "trick."

The reason chucks come loose is due to burrs on the shaft, not tightening the tool centered in the chuck, or bottoming out the tool in the chuck. 

Makita Australia seems to publish this suggestion:

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2022, 06:51 PM »
I just picked up a new Lowes Kobalt 24V Max brushless to replace my burnt out older Ryobi P270 which was somewhat under powered for a 5" Clam auger setup on my 1st generation clam plate. The Kobalt has 650 in lbs of torque vs 390 on the Ryobi. The difference is unbelievable, the Kolbalt wants to twist me down the hole, this thing has power to spare and would work well up to a 7" auger in my opinion. I needed a rig with a removable chuck and on sale for $99 recently with a 2 ahr battery and a bonus 4 ahr battery I just couldn't pass it up. It was well worth the cost and came with a 5yr warranty and 3 yrs on the batteries. Oh and the batteries worked just fine in sub freezing temps, all day recently. Keep an eye out for this one to go on sale big time again at Lowes over Fathers day. :tipup: :tipup:
ttt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.