Author Topic: Pike lures  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Pike lures
« on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:49 AM »
I have 2 lures to try on the ice and was wondering what your opinions were
5”Gary Yamamoto senko color perch wacky rigged
Jigging a small daredevle after see someone else succeed(was wondering how to fish it for best results)
 Any other ideas would be great too

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Pike lures
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:30 PM »
snap jig the dardevil

blade baits, large jiggin raps, large plastic of all kinds, weighted rattle traps.  they arent picky about what they bite imo  i mostly just tip up fish them though.  live chub gill perch....... whatever i can catch id bait.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:40 AM »
snap jig the dardevil

blade baits, large jiggin raps, large plastic of all kinds, weighted rattle traps.  they arent picky about what they bite imo  i mostly just tip up fish them though.  live chub gill perch....... whatever i can catch id bait.

Idk I have only had success with bass minnows but not pike minnows but just curious if these would work and thx for the tip on the daredevle. How long should I pause between snaps

And do you have any opinion on the perch colored senko

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2021, 02:53 PM »
I spring/summer fish a lake that has more pike and bass than anything.out of the 10 years ive fished senko wacky worms there, i have never caught a pike on one.i change to a spinner bait or spoon and nail them.ive come to the conclusion that pike do not like senkos all that much.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2021, 02:58 PM »
Oh I got 1 and have lost 2 on them in my brief time targeting them with it

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2021, 05:12 AM »
im opinion, the more attraction you have going on the better for predators.  rattles, flashes. scent trails and vibrations all expand your effective attracting range 10fold! thats why a rattle trap, rigged to jig, does so good on them.  the trap thing works wonders under the ice.  thats where i started using it 20+yrs ago. people think you need go small under ice but not so.  pike arent shy and will hit a chub hooked to a log chain, so add those attracting features.  look back in my posts about this for pics.  im not typing all that again. lol  blades, rattles, sponges with scent, glow.................. ...

no opinion on the senko.  scented plastic worms on a jighead(aka jigworm) are deadly on spring pike in the bays though.  i hop it back with 2ft high snaps.  kick up silt and bang it down.  the more the better imo.

OANN the real story

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2021, 05:13 AM »
im opinion, the more attraction you have going on the better for predators.  rattles, flashes. scent trails and vibrations all expand your effective attracting range 10fold! thats why a rattle trap, rigged to jig, does so good on them.  the trap thing works wonders under the ice.  thats where i started using it 20+yrs ago. people think you need go small under ice but not so.  pike arent shy and will hit a chub hooked to a log chain, so add those attracting features.  look back in my posts about this for pics.  im not typing all that again. lol  blades, rattles, sponges with scent, glow.................. ...

no opinion on the senko.  scented plastic worms on a jighead(aka jigworm) are deadly on spring pike in the bays though.  i hop it back with 2ft high snaps.  kick up silt and bang it down.  the more the better imo.
Thank you

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2021, 08:58 PM »
Daredevle spoon...yummy says the pike.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Pike don’t discriminate. They will go after stuff much bigger than you think they can handle and much smaller than you think they should be looking at. I use muskie baits that can be jigged. Or if you don’t have that in your Arsenal and want to have a ton of fun simply drill a hole a few feet away from the one you’ll be jigging out of and drop a camera down pointed at the hole you are using. Now use a decent sized lipless crankbait like a rattle trap. You’ll see them drawn in if they are around.

Incorporate tipups into this approach if you like. I’ll drop deadbait down and let it soak for maybe 15 to 20 minutes and I’ll also have a hole within 10 feet of that deadbait. I’ll jump around to those secondary holes and jig aggressively with a rattle bait for 20-30 seconds and move on to the next hole. The rattle bait draws their interest and when they come in to check things out….voila….here’s an easy meal for them that just happens to be attached to a tip up.

Offline B540glenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2021, 06:23 PM »
I spring/summer fish a lake that has more pike and bass than anything.out of the 10 years ive fished senko wacky worms there, i have never caught a pike on one.i change to a spinner bait or spoon and nail them.ive come to the conclusion that pike do not like senkos all that much.
Pike will take Senkos.
I took my young son fishing for pike one day.  We were trolling spoons in a small lake.  I caught 5 while he caught none.  We even traded places and rigs.  He was so discouraged.  I suggested that we change location and tactics and go for bass.  His second cast with a Senko brought in a 22" pike.   He was happier after that.
Glenn

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Live minnows by far the best for targeting pike, provided they are big enough. I switched to frozen mackerels a few years back, as Quebec no longer allows the use of live bait anywhere in the province since a few years. Bite not as good...

While I don't target pike on ice using lures, I've caught them on small jigging raps, mini kastmaster spoons, and even drop shotting live worms on ice. Most often while playing a school of panfish, they suddenly all disappear and you see a big mark on flasher. Same for bass and lakers, though I've done significantly better jigging rattlebaits suspended for those.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2021, 07:30 AM »
thats a bummer about your live bait law.  you would think theyd let ya use native to lake young at least.  maybe put your mackerel on a windless, for jigging action.  a rattle added to that mite help call them too.  i have used a rattle bait around my tip ups to call fish from farther away to the area.  seems to help at time from my experience.

OANN the real story

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2021, 05:54 PM »
thats a bummer about your live bait law.  you would think theyd let ya use native to lake young at least.  maybe put your mackerel on a windless, for jigging action.  a rattle added to that mite help call them too.  i have used a rattle bait around my tip ups to call fish from farther away to the area.  seems to help at time from my experience.

Not the end of the world. In general, I find that setting up a spread of tip ups keeps me stuck to a single area for too long. I prefer to run a gun jigging lures with one rod, giving each hole no longer than 5 minutes without a fish.

Also, while numbers have gone down versus live minnows, the frozen mackerels did help weed out smaller fish. Managed better sizes on 6-8 inch mackerels, including the musky in my avatar.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:33 AM »
Never tried them but will this season. Well if we very ice.lol

Thx phil

OANN the real story

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:08 AM »
I always keep this one in the mix, but I have not caught a pike on it so far, all I have caught is some smallmouth bass on the "Giant" Chubby Darter...My pike waters are limited and I spend more time looking for walleye, so it/me is not a great gauge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.