Author Topic: Single hooks opinion  (Read 499 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live fishing die fishing
Single hooks opinion
« on: Oct 05, 2021, 07:42 AM »
I hate treble hooks and have had great success with gamakatsu splitshot  /dropshot and was wond What you guys thought about using that on tip ups

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Single hooks opinion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2021, 07:53 AM »
Can't hurt to give it a try.  What don't you like about trebles?  I run small ones, #12 for eyes, usually #10 but sometimes #8 for pike.  They normally end up in the corner of the mouth and come out easy.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:03 AM »
Can't hurt to give it a try.  What don't you like about trebles?  I run small ones, #12 for eyes, usually #10 but sometimes #8 for pike.  They normally end up in the corner of the mouth and come out easy.

I had an incident with a crank bait and the of the trebles caught part of my pants right near my groin
It also is a bigger pain to unhook and I tend to have problems with them

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Honestly, I like circle hooks. I may lose a few more fish, but to me a circle hook is perfect for a tip up as the way to set a circle hook is let the fish run for a bit, then just add a bit of tension. I also never gut hook a fish with a circle hook. So I say go for it.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Honestly, I like circle hooks. I may lose a few more fish, but to me a circle hook is perfect for a tip up as the way to set a circle hook is let the fish run for a bit, then just add a bit of tension. I also never gut hook a fish with a circle hook. So I say go for it.
Personally I think I might give that a try but i just remember someone saying they didnít have luck

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 11:11 AM »
I don't think anyone I fish with uses treble hooks on their tip-ups.  This could be a regional (Maine) approach since most the videos I see on youtube from out west or Canada seem to use treble hooks.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:01 PM »
I don't think anyone I fish with uses treble hooks on their tip-ups.  This could be a regional (Maine) approach since most the videos I see on youtube from out west or Canada seem to use treble hooks.

I still use trebles on my tip-ups, but I rarely use my tip-ups anymore. I only use them if I'm taking a group of people out or if I'm walleye fishing and set up in the last spot of the night.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Single point hooks work just fine under a trap... It's all we can use in NH with bait and we catch fish. I'm a big fan of the Owner single replacement hooks as are most of the folks I fish with...
https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/single-replacement-hooks-x-strong/

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:35 PM »
I use a single Gamakatsu #2 red Octopus for tipups or dead sticking chubs. Works great.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:22 PM »
always had good luck with large kahle hooks.  lest several years i been using a kahle hook and a small treble above that.  bigger baits need more hook. 
real fishermen don't ask where you caught them.

Tim- member since -2003- IN.

Offline Hillsfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:33 PM »
I got tired of deep hook sets and misses using the traditional treble hook rigs.  I switched to making my own leaders (single strand wire and crimps) and single circle hook rigs.  I have had better hook ups, meaning less misses, and way fewer deep hooks.  I am a convert! 

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:15 AM »
I like 3/0-5/0 octopus hooks. Iíve seen quick strikes and trebles get swallowed many times and thatís a death sentence. At least with the single hooks I can get the hook out no matter how deep it is my pulling the leader through the gill plate back towards the tail rotating the hook then I go in through the mouth with long pliers.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic Muckletonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2021, 10:19 AM »
I've always prefered the single hook. Small trebles swallowed = dead fish of no return.
"Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.