Author Topic: Old gear to pass on  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Old gear to pass on
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 02:35 PM »
As I get older I've noticed I have more hunting and fishing stuff than I have time to use it. I hope to spend a good amount of my retirement playing more often with my "toys".  My only child is graduating HS next week and likes to fish a little bit but is definitely not into hunting or shooting.  I've been pondering who I might give some of my favorite rifles and shotguns to when I'm no longer using them.  Ironically my 78 year old Father In Law shows up last week doing the same thing and gifted us 4 of his guns (nice ones too) and about 1000 rounds of ammo.  Damn near can't shut the door on the safe now!

Can you still transfer guns among friends, family and other decent folks out there in Colorado? In can't legally give any of my guns to anyone here in NY unless it is a direct relative, Father, brother, son, wife or daughter, without getting an FFL dealer involved in the 4473 form and background check. We have guns in our family passed down from grandfathers and maybe further back and no records ever existed on many of them. I would consider it a shame to record any of them.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Old gear to pass on
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 04:34 PM »
I don't think Colorado has legislation in place addressing this specifically (thankfully).  Even if it did it wouldn't make any difference to me.  He and I have spent 25 years hunting everything the Western US has to offer.  I never considered "not" accepting them or gave any thought to the legality of it. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.