Author Topic: Old gear to pass on  (Read 2763 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Old gear to pass on
« on: May 03, 2021, 04:09 PM »
What old sporting gear do you plan to pass on to someone? I gave my son some old wooden fishing lures and a Western Field 22 rifle that belonged to my dad. I have an old steel Heddon fishing rod with a Pflueger casting reel on it that was dad's and a 1959 Browning Light Weight Belgian made shotgun that has been fired maybe fifty times to pass to him also. The shotgun spent 29 years in a gun cabinet at my mother's house after dad passed on. The Browning hasn't been fired since about 1967.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Old gear to pass on
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:37 PM »
I have kept a lot of gear I have bought years ago... I use a lot of it still to this day! I get compliments from time to time on my "vintage" gear. I also collect vintage hunting, fishing and trapping gear also. But when I go, it's simple...  the kid gets it all!  That kid is my son and I say it all, all my worldly possesses.  :)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I have kept a lot of gear I have bought years ago... I use a lot of it still to this day! I get compliments from time to time on my "vintage" gear. I also collect vintage hunting, fishing and trapping gear also. But when I go, it's simple...  the kid gets it all!  That kid is my son and I say it all, all my worldly possesses.  :)
I am in the same boat as you except my kid is my Granddaughter. The granddaughter is looking at likely 50 rods and reels (summer to ice)along with gear from panners to musky. The only other true fisher in the family.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:08 AM »
The family scatterguns and .22 that I haven't fired in years will probably go to a cop shop for destruction. We were always a poor family, and though they're makes like Remington, Mossberg and Winchester, they ain't pretty, or of much value, but they still work. (Kinda like me!)

As to my wall of rods and whatnot? My daughters loved fishing with me, but aren't into it independently. I figure my tackle will probably end up donated to the local Kids Fishing Clinic here in town.

After my Pops died, the stuff we had to go through was overwhelming. Water and snow skis from the '50s. Endless coffee cans of bent nails and rusty screws. Thirty years of National Geographic magazines. Some 300 cases of homemade wine and/or vinegar... I look around my own house now that I'm back to living alone and I realize I've got to start getting rid of stuff sooner than later. For the love of Pete, my fishing library alone contains over a thousand books and periodicals. Why do I need five copies of The River Why?

I don't want to put my kids through that
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 08:15 AM »
The family scatterguns and .22 that I haven't fired in years will probably go to a cop shop for destruction. We were always a poor family, and though they're makes like Remington, Mossberg and Winchester, they ain't pretty, or of much value, but they still work. (Kinda like me!)

As to my wall of rods and whatnot? My daughters loved fishing with me, but aren't into it independently. I figure my tackle will probably end up donated to the local Kids Fishing Clinic here in town.

After my Pops died, the stuff we had to go through was overwhelming. Water and snow skis from the '50s. Endless coffee cans of bent nails and rusty screws. Thirty years of National Geographic magazines. Some 300 cases of homemade wine and/or vinegar... I look around my own house now that I'm back to living alone and I realize I've got to start getting rid of stuff sooner than later. For the love of Pete, my fishing library alone contains over a thousand books and periodicals. Why do I need five copies of The River Why?

I don't want to put my kids through that

I went through that kind of mess last year. My parents were absolute hoarders. My mom died a long time ago, and my Dad downsized into a smaller place with his girlfriend years ago.

The house finally got sold off and demo'd for the acreage, but we had to clean the place up first.... it was absolutely terrible. I think we filled 4 twelve fifteen (I thought 12s were the taller ones) yard dumpsters with crap from the house and garage, and that was with my Dad still keeping enough junk to fill 2 storage units  :-\

I am absolutely dreading having to sort the mess out whenever he ends up punching out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Im a hoarder..not like the tv show with garbage tho.i have around 400 rod/reel combos,milk crates full of vintage and new reels,coleman lanterns everywhere,vintage video game systems,tecumseh parts and engine all over.piles of icefishing gear and it all goes to my daughter.i have lists of current prices and she already knows to search prices on all the stuff.have some limited addition abu garcia reels brand new in box from years ago that i paid 149$ for that are now worth 275 or more and hope she keeps some of the hoard for her kids.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:02 AM »
I have some things to leave to my daughter most are still being used. Hoarder is such a harsh word. Doc there's a set of eureka tent poles in Rockford MI   for 10.00 bucks if there's any chance you could land them for me please do I will do ya good. I found a eureka tetragon 9 for 4 bucks in great shape.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 10:25 AM »
All my gear, Fishing boats, Trailers ,cars, Gun and tools will go to whomever picks them. When I die my 3 Daughters 7 Grand kids and 3 Great Grandkids will take turns picking what they want in no particular order. I will write that down now so I don't forget to.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 12:29 PM »
I have some things to leave to my daughter most are still being used. Hoarder is such a harsh word. Doc there's a set of eureka tent poles in Rockford MI   for 10.00 bucks if there's any chance you could land them for me please do I will do ya good. I found a eureka tetragon 9 for 4 bucks in great shape.
i would O.G but im on some pretty heavy meds now and been staying real close to home.sure dont need a drugged driving on my record.i tried to call my bud in rockford but no answer.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Nice that there is still gear that has some use- I don't suppose anyone will want our computers or TVs very far into the future- Obsolete in 5 years.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16 AM »
I give up! A while back a buddy passed and left his wife and daughter a complete nightmare with all his tools, toys and equipment. The gals knew nothing about all the stuff he had and needed lots of help disposing of it before selling the house and moving mom into a senior living place. Most of us guys, his pals, have about all that we need and damn little room for more STUFF! It took me and 2 other pals over a full year to get what was sellable sold but in the end it was a heartbreaking ordeal practically giving lots of his stuff away for pennies on the dollar. Guns and hunting implements have to go through an FFL dealer here in NY and transfers need to have 4473 forms and NCIC background checks that all cost money unless the guns are sold to the FFL dealer at well below their true value.

I started thinking it is close to time for me to trim down my STUFF because I have no children and no family left except an older brother who has more stuff than me. It was just a thought like a fart in the wind and I keep buying more STUFF. I have a few buddies who will help my wife when I go if I go first but they don't need what I have and mostly don't have much room for more STUFF to go with their STUFF. I sold a bunch of my STUFF last year in a big yard sale and sadly I took the money and bought more, newer and better STUFF. It is an addiction for many of us guys because we want to have the stuff we need to fix things and enjoy our time here. It is also pretty painful when we find out that new Milwaukee drill we just bought for $200+ is only worth a few dollars when it needs to be sold no matter what condition it is in. Not many pals will have the time and make the effort to get the most money for this stuff in the end. Even worse in my case is I find myself looking all over for something I know I have somewhere and can't find because I forget that I sold it in the yard sale but now I need it. One of us should write a book about this incessant collecting of STUFF we men do and how to deal with it when we are gone. I highly doubt many of us will have the foresight to actually trim down our holdings as long as we can still get out and hunt, fish, repair our machines and do all the home repairs that we always did before. I still have my high quality strobe timing light and the tach and dwell meter I used back in the early 1970s to adjust and tune my engines but now this stuff is all done by the onboard computers. Kids today would not know what the heck it is for. I just watched a very funny video where 2 boys both 17 years old were placed in a room and told if they want to get out just use the phone in the corner and call. The phone was an old rotary dial one and they had absolutely no idea how to use it to dial out and even worse is neither of them could remember any of the phone numbers of their friends or family because they did not have their cell phones where all those numbers are stored. After about 30 minutes they finally figured it out and were able to dial 911. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 08:41 AM »
I heard of a thing called "Swedish death cleaning"- maybe it sounds better in the original language. Basically, those things that are of sentimental value are given away to those you want to have them. They do it at around 70.  Part of a simplification and decluttering as we slow down. It made sense to me, but I think it would be a hard thing to start.
I have 2 boys, but they have zero interest in hunting and fishing. I am starting to find homes for those things that are family heirlooms with my nephews. It is more important that the person that gets them values them than exactly who it is.
What a sad thing to think about! Almost as bad as the end of ice fishing season!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 10:07 AM »
You guys have not even mentioned the worst case scenario, think of this, it might apply to you too.  My wife is so fit that she will probably live to be 120 years old, though I am not heavy, I love to eat, leave most of the fat on my meat, have a drink every day and never pass up desert, I probably won't make 80. Now the problem, I have all this really cool stuff, ice shacks, boats, guns, a shop full of tools, ect, ect and no children to leave it to, my wife will probably pick up this young Giglio and he will get it all, how can a man deal with that?   ;)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 10:41 AM »
You guys have not even mentioned the worst case scenario, think of this, it might apply to you too.  My wife is so fit that she will probably live to be 120 years old, though I am not heavy, I love to eat, leave most of the fat on my meat, have a drink every day and never pass up desert, I probably won't make 80. Now the problem, I have all this really cool stuff, ice shacks, boats, guns, a shop full of tools, ect, ect and no children to leave it to.  Now the problem, my wife will probably pick up this young Giglio and he will get it all, how can a man deal with that?

Don't even worry about it, you'll be dead!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15 PM »
While not fishing gear, i did get my mothers, via my grandfather, 1974 High Standard 20 gauge. Hadn't been fired in at least 30 years so with the help of a friend, i broke it all down, cleaned it, and restored the wood. Such a beautiful firearm

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 01:03 PM »
As I am bringing stuff from NJ to KS where the wife & I now live, my son helped unload the last trip with me, conversation got to how much stuff I have 'acquired' over
     the years, mostly tools - some firearms - 'Everything goes to you when I pass' - 'Dad, a lot of stuff is going to be garage sale' - ' I will be in the ground, just get a good
     price for the items'
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33 PM »
Who says you can't take it with you.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 06:12 AM »
Gamalot I nominate you to write the story of collected goods and how or whom has to deal with it.
I have a friend that is a total hoarder. When I see his crap, yes that is what a lot of it is I can only think of his grown kids having to deal with that.  He has this one old beat up trailer about 4x6 wire mess floor that had a car engine dropped on it sitting out in his field with tires that have started to rot off. I asked him if he wanted to sell it once. Thinking I could fix it up and use it for an ATV. He said he couldn't let it go for less than $300. That is when I knew it was going to be there for his kids to deal with some day.

AS for my stuff, I don't care who gets it or if it is giving away for free as long as someone gets some use out of it. I have over the last 5 years cleaned up my property as much as I can to get rid of any junk. Have you ever gone to a yard sale and said to yourself. Why don't they just throw it all away? People trying to get gold from dirt is just crazy.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 06:35 AM »
Huh, garage sales here are the total opposite.i get abu garcia and penn reels for 5$.beaver dam tipups for 3$.deals all over except when theres a sale with tags from ebay showing what items are going for.i dont buy that stuff.garage sales are the reason my hoard is so big but im also in the buy,sell and trade biz.my motto when having a garage sale is you have to sell stuff you still want not used dishes and clothes.my olady will make a few dollars and i make 100s selling guitars,lanterns,video games and such.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 06:55 AM »

AS for my stuff, I don't care who gets it or if it is giving away for free as long as someone gets some use out of it. I have over the last 5 years cleaned up my property as much as I can to get rid of any junk. Have you ever gone to a yard sale and said to yourself. Why don't they just throw it all away? People trying to get gold from dirt is just crazy.

I did the same thing. I didn't realize just how much crap I had until my kid was on the way and I needed to clear out the spare bedroom... I ended up just going on a complete purge.

Anything I hadn't used in a year got sold or thrown in the trash. I would guess I got rid of 70-80% of what I owned, and I don't miss it one bit because I wasn't using it anyway. It's nice actually having free space in the house and garage, too.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 07:08 AM »
YUP! Getting gold from dirt is hard to do but one mans junk is another mans treasure. When I look at my garage and all the various tool boxes I own it is scary. I have been a mechanic since early childhood and without any exaggeration I have well over 200 wrenches and many more sockets in both standard and metric sizes. Likewise for the boxes filled with various nuts, bolts and fasteners in both steel and stainless steel so much so that it would take 2 strong men to carry them all out. Power tools would fill an entire 53 foot tractor trailer box. Just my ice gear fills an entire 7' X 12' enclosed trailer I just bought this fall. I would be very surprised if I don't have 25 different fishing rod and reel combos plus 5 big boxes of different fishing lures and I won't even go into the hunting stuff or vintage audio gear I have collected all my life. At different times in my life I have been a Correction Officer, Carpenter/cabinet maker, Auto, boat and Motorcycle mechanic, plumber and a burglar alarm installer. I have rigged more fishing boats than I can count and I am the caretaker of a 120 acre property with 5 homes that all require yard and field maintenance and interior and exterior repairs constantly. Hoarder is a term that fits however I always need most of the stuff I have hoarded over 69 years if only I could find where I have it stored. Still to this day if I need 4 matching nuts and bolts for some project it never fails, I can only find 3. I am on a first name basis with my local Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware and tractor supply stores. My wife prays each night that she goes first.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2021, 07:13 AM »
Another thing about my hoard is its my retirement.i have no 401k/retirement fund and have worked for cash most my life and will have to work until im in the ground.and about my tools...i have so many tool boxes  it slows me down working because if im looking for a 10mm i will sift thru 20 3/8 sockets before i find one.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Another thing about my hoard is its my retirement.i have no 401k/retirement fund and have worked for cash most my life and will have to work until im in the ground.and about my tools...i have so many tool boxes  it slows me down working because if im looking for a 10mm i will sift thru 20 3/8 sockets before i find one.
The hoarder I was talking about quit working in his 30's and is in 70's now. His wife is in the almost same vote. She gets $100 a month from SS and he gets$0. If it wasn't for his rental property in California they would be on the streets.
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 03:52 PM »
Think im a few points short for 1000$ In retirement.had a 401k for 6 years working for a bakery and then a potato factory that went to mexico and laid all workers off that didnt want to move there.then started my 13 years in drywall that was for cash and a 1099 a few years.should investigate where my 401k is now.ive worked for cash for many years now.which is nice but going to suck with my health issues and getting older.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2021, 04:52 PM »
We all like boats but it seems we are all in different boats. I have a good pension plus a decent SS check and a wife who did have a 6 figure job until the china flu shut her job down and it still is.
I am fairly organized in my daily tool box with American and metric stuff on the right and left sides and all in order of sizes so I need not search long for the right ones. Not a single day goes by when I am not tinkering with something in my shop so some organization was a must all these years. I can't honestly say the same for any flats surfaces or work benches though. Every week or two I have to go behind myself and put all the remnants away just to have a spot to work. I am, like most here, very seasonal. Too much happens in this spring season with yards, trout & striper season and outside home repairs. Then it gets to fall clean up, hunting and summer equipment winter storage and heating fuel gathering right before ice season. Winter is my favorite time because if there is no ice or it is bitter cold and windy I get to veg out by the stove and watch the idiots on TV a few day a week.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 06:43 PM »
I started getting rid of stuff I didn't use three years ago. Threw a lot; sold a lot. Camping stuff, old fishing gear was given to Take a Kid Fishing organization. With the extra room, I moved my den/computer room to another room....and that's when the problem started.  After discovering untouched red oak flooring under the carpet in that room, (While running new ethernet) ended up remodeling the entire house. And I  mean entire!  ::) Painted every room. Painted/sprayed every ceiling. New light fixtures. Threw out all blinds and curtains, put in all new. Laid new vinyl in kitchen. Put in new oak trim. New faucets. New carpet in bedroom. Turned rec room into a whole 'nother world. New outlets and face plates throughout house. Redid bathroom shower/tub. I did all of it, except the new carpet, tub and shower, and the poly-coating the red oak floor. Took me 4 months of non-stop work, but it sure made a difference...house was nice to begin with but now even more so. And saved a ton of money.
Now, I just need to find someone to leave all my fishing stuff and guns to........... :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Think im a few points short for 1000$ In retirement.had a 401k for 6 years working for a bakery and then a potato factory that went to mexico and laid all workers off that didnt want to move there.

That's where ya went wrong.... 'taters grow in the ground; they don't make 'em in a factory!  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 07:15 PM »
That's where ya went wrong.... 'taters grow in the ground; they don't make 'em in a factory!  ;)
lol it was simplot co.they made tater tots,arby curly fries and other fries for fast food places.i worked in the freezer and packing dept.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 01:19 PM »
This is the season I am in now! I am the young, good looking dude on the right! ;D

31 pounds.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 02:18 PM »
As I get older I've noticed I have more hunting and fishing stuff than I have time to use it. I hope to spend a good amount of my retirement playing more often with my "toys".  My only child is graduating HS next week and likes to fish a little bit but is definitely not into hunting or shooting.  I've been pondering who I might give some of my favorite rifles and shotguns to when I'm no longer using them.  Ironically my 78 year old Father In Law shows up last week doing the same thing and gifted us 4 of his guns (nice ones too) and about 1000 rounds of ammo.  Damn near can't shut the door on the safe now!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.