Author Topic: Vexilar FL18  (Read 3177 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vexilar FL18
« on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:34 PM »
the new Vex arrived today. surprised that it came all assembled. Battery was even fully charged. No local ice, so I'll go to a local pond and test it from a dock. One question I thought that i'd ask here. there seems to be a 10 amp fuse attached to the positive connector. can anyone tell me why?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar FL18
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2021, 09:41 PM »
I'd guess overload protection when charging.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:31 PM »
I should be able to use a lithium battery from Amped Outdoors, shouldn't I? It'd cut down the weight by about 3 pounds

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2021, 10:34 PM »
Yep, lots of people going to those.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 05:18 AM »
Good luck with your purchase ...I have had mine since 2003...some videos to get you started .. I also purchased a Lithium battery ...its an investment and consideration when yours should need replacing. That fuse seems to be new ..but I am unable to find a Vexilar part or replacement anywhere .

Battery tips

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:56 AM »
A solid unit. I just love mine!
Good luck with it.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:06 PM »
the genz box has an oblong hole in the front. anyone have any idea what this can be used for or was intended for?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:09 PM »
The digital depth dd100 or the switch for the tribeam goes there.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Nice. My buddy got a new one this year too, they sure are a lot quieter with the brushless motors.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2021, 07:53 AM »
the genz box has an oblong hole in the front. anyone have any idea what this can be used for or was intended for?

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/IMG_9212.jpg
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave in Mpls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:05 AM »
To answer the original question, the red rectangular item attached to the + battery terminal is a fuse holder, rated at up to 10 Amps.  The actual fuse is the ATO blade fuse plugged into the side of the fuse holder, most probably a 3 Amp.  As in most 12V wiring, the fuse is to protect the wiring, not the appliance.  I picked up several of the holders last time I was at vexilar to put on other flashers and graphs.  There is doublesided tape on the bottom of the holder to secure it to the battery if so desired.

https://store.vexilar.com/fuse-holder-12-volt-battery-w-3-amp-fuse.html

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2021, 07:47 AM »
HD and DRS, thanks. did not even notice the 2 pin holes above and below that oblong hole.
Dave, thanks. I did actually call Vexilar and they told me. Also told me that it's just another safety precaution and said that not having it does not affect the use of the battery

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Some folks mod the box by adding some screws to the bottom to grip the ice . Adding rod holders to the back/sides of the case ,

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2021, 08:31 AM »
two mods that will be a must will be a single rod holder and a transducer arm. can't find a marcum transducer arm anywhere. Marcum does have them in stock, but with shipping, cost will end up $25. options?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Vexilar has a transducer arm but it clips into the rod holder spot on the propack.i got one and ditched the ducer float.its a rod holder and ducer arm all in one just would have to figure out how to attach it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2021, 09:00 AM »
two mods that will be a must will be a single rod holder and a transducer arm. can't find a marcum transducer arm anywhere. Marcum does have them in stock, but with shipping, cost will end up $25. options?

Get the Vexilar Glo Ring ..as that can be used as a rod holder and glow your jigs .. or get the Vexilar rod holders ..add a piece of small diameter PVC pipe

https://store.vexilar.com/vexilar-glo-ring-rod-holder.html

https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-RH100-Holder-Ultra-ProPack/dp/B00DUL6YI8

https://store.vexilar.com/ultra-pack-and-propack-ii-rod-holder-1-per-package.html

You could also add a larger piece of PVC and use the Vexilar Transducer holder ..but I think you will find that the eyebolt will suit your needs just fine

https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-TSA001-Transducer-Support-Holder/dp/B00AU5TCQ8/ref=pd_lpo_200_t_0/135-7803441-2043063?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00AU5TCQ8&pd_rd_r=5ccb275f-604f-4833-a2ad-b556b9f14cad&pd_rd_w=eO46G&pd_rd_wg=LEFLm&pf_rd_p=2eae1586-a44a-4b21-997a-1dfc1740e496&pf_rd_r=XBC440763D4D9XGSX326&psc=1&refRID=XBC440763D4D9XGSX326

https://store.vexilar.com/transducer-support-arm.html

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2021, 09:19 AM »
 You may pop rivet it from the inside out ..just remove the battery box rear panel .

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2021, 10:40 AM »
cheapest shipping option from Vexilar is $22+.
any DIY ideas? the Vex transducer arm on Amazon is $12.49 and free shipping. I can take it apart and used the front piece and make the rear arm to make it similar to the Marcum transducer arm. the kid with all the mods had the vex rod holder and had the socket to hold it. wonder where he got that.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2021, 11:45 AM »
cheapest shipping option from Vexilar is $22+.
any DIY ideas? the Vex transducer arm on Amazon is $12.49 and free shipping. I can take it apart and used the front piece and make the rear arm to make it similar to the Marcum transducer arm. the kid with all the mods had the vex rod holder and had the socket to hold it. wonder where he got that.

If I am catching what your saying ...its is the Vexilar rod holder ...the Vexilar Transducer Arm goes right over the top of it ..allowing for use of the rod holder and the transducer arm  with each other..you could accomplish this with a larger PVC pipe and PVC end cap . Secured to the Genz box ..bolt.. screw...pop rivit

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:36 PM »
a buddy has a Vex transducer arm that is cracked where it goes over the rod holder. He's giving it to me. WOOHOO! Gonna make the rear arm with a scrap piece of Aluminum bar stock. Trying to end up with something like this.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2021, 12:51 PM »
a buddy has a Vex transducer arm that is cracked where it goes over the rod holder. He's giving it to me. WOOHOO! Gonna make the rear arm with a scrap piece of Aluminum bar stock.

Great ...make sure you show pictures  your work.. I believe I have not seen a mod using the Vexilar transducer are ..others ..Marcum arm...after market ..wenches ..but no Vexilar.

Offline Dave in Mpls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2021, 05:33 PM »
What would make your life easy would be if you had the bracket that comes with the Glo Ring.  You would mount that on the same mounting surface as the “oblong hole”.  The Vex rod holder would secure into the bracket, and the Vex transducer arm would secure into the rod holder.  The trick is finding the Glo Ring bracket separately.  Not seeing it on the web page.  That said, if you were to order some other parts from them, I’ll bet you could get them to throw one in - they are good folks!
I’ve got a couple floating around somewhere, but can’t find them at the moment, or I’d send you one.  They may be up in my permanent house up at Mille Lacs.  I’ll be up there the 1st week of April replacing some siding and trim - if I come across them I’ll let you know.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2021, 08:46 PM »
My friend just dropped it off. I placed the base where I would mount a short piece of 1 1/4' PVC pipe and then fit the arm base over it and the arm barely stretches out beyond the front of the carrier. moving  it around with the transducer in it, I realized that this ducer is heavy! with the arm straightened out and holding the base firmly on the table, it puts a bend in the arm.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2021, 06:01 AM »
I used the Vexilar cable support arm, part# FS0011.  Used a flat faucet washer as a spacer/friction disc between the support arm and gimbal bracket.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2021, 06:30 AM »
I use the arm with a proview and tribeam which is a really big heavy transducer and the arm doesn't bend but its on a propack and mounted the way it was intended.i hole hop with it too.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2021, 07:23 AM »
I use the arm with a proview and tribeam which is a really big heavy transducer and the arm doesn't bend but its on a propack and mounted the way it was intended.i hole hop with it too.

X2 ..that thing swings like a wrecking ball between holes at times w/o worry . I have not heard or seen any one mention a broken Vexilar transducer arm.

rdhammah...once again you may be just fine with the eyebolt in front ..my buddys use that w/o any issues . With and without the float . I have an old 1st gen Genx box that I modified for my AV Micro camera to sit on ..and use the eye bolt to manage the cable ..EZPZ

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2021, 08:45 AM »
rdhammah...once again you may be just fine with the eyebolt in front ..my buddys use that w/o any issues . With and without the float . I have an old 1st gen Genx box that I modified for my AV Micro camera to sit on ..and use the eye bolt to manage the cable ..EZPZ
yeah, I know, but I just don't like that thing sticking out all the time and removing it all the time will eventually wear out the threads in the plastic.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2021, 09:30 AM »
yeah, I know, but I just don't like that thing sticking out all the time and removing it all the time will eventually wear out the threads in the plastic.

Use a piece of wood on the backside/inside the Genz box will make the below insert more secure ..most folks just leave it or in or screw it down/into the Genz box all the way

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-Zinc-Plated-Tee-Nut-4-Pack-802301/204274194

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-20-mm-Type-D-Zinc-Insert-Nut-Screw-817778/204281670

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2021, 01:59 PM »
I was just there and couldn't find the t-nuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.