Author Topic: Increasing hook up percentages on Jawjackers  (Read 1359 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Increasing hook up percentages on Jawjackers
« on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Yesterday I tried dead sticks in addition to jigging. I did get a lot of hits, but I would say most of the time, by the time I got to the rod, there was nothing there. I cold see a few bobs, and I was running over, and about 5 seconds in, the rod straightened, and it was gone.

I have increased the rod stiffness, from light to medium, and am using smallish jigs with just enough night crawler to cover the hook. Fishing perch in 20 feet of water.

Are there any tricks to getting a hookup to last until you grab the rod?

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Increasing hook up percentages on Jawjackers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2021, 04:21 PM »
The jawjackers haven’t worked well for me for perch, the tip downs work much better since they free spool line out until you set the hook. HT tip downs are 20$ each. You could try putting some slack in the line down near the reel maybe so the perch has time to swallow the bait before tripping the jawjacker.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Yesterday I tried dead sticks in addition to jigging. I did get a lot of hits, but I would say most of the time, by the time I got to the rod, there was nothing there. I cold see a few bobs, and I was running over, and about 5 seconds in, the rod straightened, and it was gone.

I have increased the rod stiffness, from light to medium, and am using smallish jigs with just enough night crawler to cover the hook. Fishing perch in 20 feet of water.

Are there any tricks to getting a hookup to last until you grab the rod?

Let's start with the basics. What hooks are you using?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2021, 06:34 PM »
Let's start with the basics. What hooks are you using?

Yesterday I used small jigs- one came with the jaw jacker, the other from an Amped outdoors kit. Both new, both about a size 10 hook I would guess.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2021, 05:15 AM »
I would switch to trebles. Size them correctly to targeted species. I will use as big as a 12 for walleye and down to a 16 for perch or crappie. I hope this helps.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:10 AM »
x2 on the treble.  my homemade pvc ones work flawless with tiny trebles.  hooked in the lip too. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2021, 09:24 AM »
I wondered if a lighter bait would allow them to suck it further into their mouth. Will try some trebles. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2021, 06:55 PM »
a crappie spreader rig mite have enough free line to let them inhale it.  but i think youll be very happy with the trebles. another thing is the rods power.  if its hitting too hard it could be tearing a hole in the lip.  then they thrash and get off the hook before you get to it.  just a thought that a change in drag setting could answer.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Jawkackers are great when the temps are above freezing, or constantly check them. Hook size and getting the trigger set just right really makes a difference.
They’re great for lakers.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2021, 02:21 PM »
I wondered if a lighter bait would allow them to suck it further into their mouth. Will try some trebles. Thanks for the ideas.

That's what I was thinking, might be able to suck the waxies in quicker, before it trips the Jacker.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2021, 04:40 PM »
if you add a little slack line to the set up and let the fish move a little before the hook set they will get it a bit further in their mouth.  I take a small bobber letting it slide on them line and it puts a bit of bow in the line.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2021, 10:54 PM »
Perhaps this contraption of a rig...

A long time ago, while river fishing in moderate current and the fish would hit the bait but dropped it quickly due to the feel of either the sinker or the the rod tip, I devised a solution to tie onto the line a thin rubber band.  What I did was give the snell line a sort of bow of a few inches.  The rubber band was to offer a cushion of a slack line and stretch as the fish takes the bait.  Yeah it did soften the bite detection to allow the fish to inhale the bait a bit further.  It was so long ago, I don't remember it working better or not. 

I do remember that the rubber band usually was pretty much just a one day rig.  Unless one snags and loses the whole rig, as that does happens.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for the ideas- I had rigged red #12 trebles and a red bead on the line as an additional attractor, but when we went to go fishing Tuesday, the road was closed by a landslide. Hoping it will be open next week, but it has been so warm, there may not be ice to try it out. At least I am set for next year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.