Author Topic: New Sled, Make it Ice Ready  (Read 2343 times)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New Sled, Make it Ice Ready
« on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:41 PM »
So I ended up picking up a new to me sled yesterday.  Got a 2002 Arctic Cat zl800ss with a little over 4K miles on it.  It has a studded track although its seen some miles and a few of the studs have pulled but overall in very good shape.  I'm planning on adding scratchers.  Any suggestions on brand or style?  I haven't been on a sled much at all so any tips would be appreciated.  I know its a lot of machine for a new rider but for towing stuff ice fishing I don't expect to be doing any high speeds or tight trails so I couldn't pass it up. 

westernmas on the finder

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New Sled, Make it Ice Ready
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Also, if any NH guys see this, it has current 2021 NH stickers on it.  I assume that means I could ride it on the ice seeing as though the sticker is good until the end of april or is that only a trail pass and the reg is different?
westernmas on the finder

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Nice, looks like it's been treated well.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Also, if any NH guys see this, it has current 2021 NH stickers on it.  I assume that means I could ride it on the ice seeing as though the sticker is good until the end of april or is that only a trail pass and the reg is different?

Those tags became invalid once the ownership changed hands... They'll pass the binocular test but if asked for the registration you're gonna catch a fine. Nice rig, good luck with it.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:30 AM »
Congrats on getting your sled - it opens up a lot of ice fishing territory! 

I use the cable type scratchers to help keep my track slides cool and mounted them on my ski's so they deploy to the inside between the ski's.  Between the scratchers and the studs in the track they've done the job when I've been on bare ice.  I know some guys that use the wire springs for lawnmower de-thatcher blades on their sleds - they're notably cheaper but they don't work so well if you have a sled with reverse on it.

Make sure you you have carbide skegs on the ski's and look into making the rear suspension as stiff as you can.  Mount a hitch on the back and I highly recommend a tow bar versus rope, especially on bare ice - I use Otter products. 

Another great adder is to mount a GPS capable unit onto the handlebars of your sled for navigation - I used a RAM mount for my Garmin EchoMap.  Mounting on the handlebars helps reduce vibration of the device versus mounting it to the hood.  I run long distances out on the ice at times and have also mounted a lighted compass on my sled and it's surprising how often I use it even with the Garmin. 

Other items I use are a Johnson's Cargo Rack with bucket holders on the rear of the sled and a Jaws-of-Ice auger carrier mounted to the front along with a 10" LED light to give me better lighting.  I have an electric start sled so I wired in two separate switches with relays direct to the sleds battery - one to power the LED light and the other to power the Garmin and compass light - which I can operate without the sled motor running.

Always be careful on the ice looking for objects in your path - especially tip-ups - and be mindful of other folks already out on the ice and give them plenty of room when you drive past.  Watch out for bad ice and when you're in slush be sure to keep up your speed.  If you plan on stopping in a slushy area drive by that spot and circle back such that you can park your sled on the track/trail you just made.  I also recommend to take along a spud bar in case you need it to help "un-freeze" your sled if the track suspension freezes up.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Congrats on getting your sled - it opens up a lot of ice fishing territory! 

I use the cable type scratchers to help keep my track slides cool and mounted them on my ski's so they deploy to the inside between the ski's.  Between the scratchers and the studs in the track they've done the job when I've been on bare ice.  I know some guys that use the wire springs for lawnmower de-thatcher blades on their sleds - they're notably cheaper but they don't work so well if you have a sled with reverse on it.

Make sure you you have carbide skegs on the ski's and look into making the rear suspension as stiff as you can.  Mount a hitch on the back and I highly recommend a tow bar versus rope, especially on bare ice - I use Otter products. 

Another great adder is to mount a GPS capable unit onto the handlebars of your sled for navigation - I used a RAM mount for my Garmin EchoMap.  Mounting on the handlebars helps reduce vibration of the device versus mounting it to the hood.  I run long distances out on the ice at times and have also mounted a lighted compass on my sled and it's surprising how often I use it even with the Garmin. 

Other items I use are a Johnson's Cargo Rack with bucket holders on the rear of the sled and a Jaws-of-Ice auger carrier mounted to the front along with a 10" LED light to give me better lighting.  I have an electric start sled so I wired in two separate switches with relays direct to the sleds battery - one to power the LED light and the other to power the Garmin and compass light - which I can operate without the sled motor running.

Always be careful on the ice looking for objects in your path - especially tip-ups - and be mindful of other folks already out on the ice and give them plenty of room when you drive past.  Watch out for bad ice and when you're in slush be sure to keep up your speed.  If you plan on stopping in a slushy area drive by that spot and circle back such that you can park your sled on the track/trail you just made.  I also recommend to take along a spud bar in case you need it to help "un-freeze" your sled if the track suspension freezes up.

Thank you.  This is great information.
westernmas on the finder

Offline TKfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Hey Bucket Rump, do you have pictures of how you added the Jaws of Ice to the front of your sled?

I have a 99' Panther 440Fan set-up, but want to move the Digger Auger Holder currently on the back rack to the front of the machine. I have some ideas, but always looking for more input before cutting into plastic shrouding this offseason!

pmaloney86, congrats on the new sled! My advice when running a liquid cooled machine is too be mindful of short moves, and letting it idle too long after already warm, always hit patches of snow when available on the lake to kick into the tunnel where the cooling lines are located. They are superior machines for travel on the ice, and you'll find yourself adventuring more to find the next spot!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Hey Bucket Rump, do you have pictures of how you added the Jaws of Ice to the front of your sled?

I have a 99' Panther 440Fan set-up, but want to move the Digger Auger Holder currently on the back rack to the front of the machine. I have some ideas, but always looking for more input before cutting into plastic shrouding this offseason!

Mine is fastened to the front bumper of the sled with the u-bolt fasteners provided with the Jaws-of-Ice unit —- made it pretty easy for me for a change. Even used them to clamp the LED light in place.

Not a great pic, but you can see how it’s fastened onto the bumper. I can take some better photos and post them if you want some close ups of how it’s attached.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2021, 09:44 PM »
So I ended up picking up a new to me sled yesterday.  Got a 2002 Arctic Cat zl800ss with a little over 4K miles on it.  It has a studded track although its seen some miles and a few of the studs have pulled but overall in very good shape.  I know its a lot of machine for a new rider but for towing stuff ice fishing I don't expect to be doing any high speeds or tight trails so I couldn't pass it up. 
Before you take it out on the ice you should have a reputable snowmobile service guy do a complete look over so you feel even better about taking it out on a lake.  Nothing worst then a breakdown on the ice with no one else in sight.  Good luck and enjoy the sled.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:43 AM »
I assume you are planning mainly for next year- storing it properly will make that go better.

For sure, clean it up, making sure there is no salt spray left to rot it over winter.

Armor all or 303 the vinyl seat- that is usually one of the fist things to go.

Fill the tank with non- ethanol fuel, add stabilizer or Seafood, and fun it until clean gas gets through the unit.

Lift the track off the ground- I have a chunk of 2X4 with a foot on the bottom I screw into the hitch hole, and lift it up

Pull the battery and keep it charged over summer.

As someone said, check the carbides on the skis, and also the Hyfax. If you will need new ones, order now and install before the weather gets bad in the fall.

Find a service manual for the sled, either at the dealer, or on line. I hate to tell you this, but you will need it. Snowmobiles take more work per hour than anything else I have ever owned. By a lot.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2021, 10:52 AM »
Get a extra belt, plugs and some small hand tool kit just in case.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:06 PM »
Practice changing and checking the belt before it fails in a blizzard.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2021, 06:53 PM »
Practice changing and checking the belt before it fails in a blizzard.
Yep, can be hard when it's warm out, very difficult in cold weather.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:03 PM »
If it's not a electric start, make sure pull rope is in good condition, hate to have one break on the ice. Most can be emergency started by wrapping a cord around the clutch.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:15 PM »
If it's not a electric start, make sure pull rope is in good condition, hate to have one break on the ice. Most can be emergency started by wrapping a cord around the clutch.

Yet another thing to try before you need it- in a blizzard. There is a maybe not so simple procedure and sometimes a fancy plastic clip to hook the end of the emergency start to the flywheel. Have heard of guys needing to sacrifice the belt off their pants to start a sled when the rope broke. If you are skinny, it might not be long enough.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2021, 06:34 PM »
Some sleds had a notch in the clutch to put a knot in the end of a rope and wrap around it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.