Author Topic: Electric Jacks  (Read 1293 times)

Offline kamikazedonut

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Jacks
« on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:31 AM »
I have a Salem Ice Cabin with 3 electric jacks.  So far each year I've managed to break the switch that raises and lowers the jack.  I blame it on the stupid switches being made of flimsy plastic and can't hold up to the cold environment of ice fishing.  Luckily the first two I broke were the jacks next to the tires, Salem at least put back up switches inside the house for those (They didn't use big enough wiring and it is extremely slow process to use those).  This winter I managed to break the tongue jack on the first outing.  The manual crank on top was already broken because we tried to use a drill to make it a fast process, didn't realize it wasn't rated for that and broke the nut.  Two ruined universal sockets later I ended up ripping out the switch and half ***ing put a switch for temp purposes.

Now the question, am I the only one lucky enough to have to deal with this?  What have you guys done to fix this issue?

These are the jack on the shack https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-285318-3500LB-Power-Tongue/dp/B00JMHHF9Q/ref=sr_1_7?crid=11HG9ETG35AGE&dchild=1&keywords=lippert+jacks&qid=1614785362&sprefix=lipert+jacks%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-7

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Electric Jacks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Why don't you use the same type of manual jacks they use on tent campers.  Forget the electric.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:24 AM »
I installed heavy drop-down, side-crank jacks on both of my permanent shacks.  I cut off the crank handles and welded on 3/4" nuts and use a cordless drill to run the jacks up and down, works great, much more substantial than the electric jacks, one time purchase and they are way cheaper.

Offline kamikazedonut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:19 PM »
I installed heavy drop-down, side-crank jacks on both of my permanent shacks.  I cut off the crank handles and welded on 3/4" nuts and use a cordless drill to run the jacks up and down, works great, much more substantial than the electric jacks, one time purchase and they are way cheaper.

Got some pics?

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Got some pics?

Here you go, pictures of the jack on the aluminum shack, I did the same on the wood shack.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:37 PM »
What a great idea Skywagon!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.