Author Topic: Brightest sonar for outside?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
Brightest sonar for outside?
« on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Hi,
Not partial to graph or flasher. My helix 5 gets hard to see outside hole hopping with older eyes and sunglasses. Any models do well in sunlight and flat snow conditions? Appreciate it

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Brightest sonar for outside?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:29 PM »

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:33 PM »
Thank you, do graphs like the garmin stack up to the vexilar in brightness?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:53 PM »
My garmin striker 5 plus is absolutely hard on the eyes trying to see it in the sun.my vexilar flx28 is way better viewing in the sun.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Make sure your backllight is turned all the way up, try different color palettes, don't face it directly into the sun, tilt it up so you are looking straight into it instead of at an angle, and if all else fails you can make a sun screen.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:11 PM »
I always have my Helix in my shadow with the sun at my back. Sometimes the wind doesn't cooperate, but it's not easy to see in the sun.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2021, 05:39 AM »
You'll have the same issues no matter what sonar you use. Polarized sunglasses plus a polarized display screen = no view. Ditch the shades and turn/move the unit so it's not in the glare of the sun.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:08 AM »
If you have polarized sunglasses it will always be an issue. Oddly enough cheap sunglasses may be the simplest "fix"

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Vexilar with mag shield

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 12:33 PM »
With my Marcum M-5, I “solved” the problem buy getting a pair of inexpensive flip-up sunshades for reading glasses in the appropriate power. I can see my screen ok with them down, and flip them up for a better view if need be. Not a total fix, but it works for me. Repositioning the unit also helps.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Thank you, in the mountains here in CO you really need good sunglasses so I will work through the suggestions. Appreciate it

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:51 AM »
All finders ive seen will wash our in bright light. My garmin does it, ive seen it on lowrance and hummingbirds too.

May have to get a sum shade
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:12 PM »
My marcum LX7 is hard to see on bright days. But I love my Marcun especially in my flip over and dull days but it drives me crazy on bright days and with my transitional glasses it’s a strain to see it.  I just set up a lowrance Hook 2 5 for those real bright days. I can see that easily in direct sunlight. It has the HD SOLAR max display that is way bright. I have $125 total investment in the Hook 2. It’s basically my back up and sunny day go to. Its not as good as my X7 but at least I can see it. LOL.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Some screens polarize the light coming off them. If you have polarized glasses, they will clash. TO see if this is your problem, rotate the glasses 90 degrees and see if it makes a difference.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Hi,
Not partial to graph or flasher. My helix 5 gets hard to see outside hole hopping with older eyes and sunglasses. Any models do well in sunlight and flat snow conditions? Appreciate it

I'm very impressed with the awesome display on my Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv even in the brightest possible outdoor conditions ... full sunshine with total snow cover on the ice. And that's while wearing quality polarized sunglasses over these 'senior' eyes.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2021, 11:42 AM »
I also have good luck with my prescription polarized sunglasses and Echomap. My Marcum Showdowns, not so much. It depends on the screen you have- the screens in my Ford Focus also show the problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.