Author Topic: Humminbird Ice 35 opinion please  (Read 2330 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Humminbird Ice 35 opinion please
« on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:51 AM »
without wandering off to other units, looking for your opinion of the Humminbird Ice 35  for $271. what do you like and dislike about it? considering the prices, seems like a good price. this is for a new unit

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Humminbird Ice 35 opinion please
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:08 AM »
its a solid machine. will help ya catch fish for sure.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:54 AM »
For the money its the best entry unit.  Dual beam and adjustable zoom for under 300.  You have to spend 500 to get a marcum or vex with similar features.  Downside is the bird units arent as solid as the others.  Maybe dont drop it off a tailgate like you can an fl8 haha
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:30 PM »
I've had one for at least 4 years fishing from 4-40 FOW. No issues with it. I have more money now but would probably (haven't had a chance to evaluate the newer units to say for sure) buy it again rather than a more expensive unit.

Display is larger than the more expensive units. More features than most more expensive units. Solid construction.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2021, 01:55 PM »
I had one for a few years, only real negative is that it's not as bright as some others, it can be a little hard to see in the bright sunlight. Nothing you can't fix by tilting the screen a bit or just keeping the face pointed away from the sun.

100% recommend the case for it.

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:53 PM »
You will not be disappointed with this flasher. I have been using one for 5 years and have no complaints. Excellent value for the money.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I had 1 for 4 or 5 years, only reason I upgraded was because I started fishing a lake known for perch in 60+ft of water. the ICE35 is a great unit for 35ft or less of water

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:59 PM »
I have the Marcum VX1P (older version of the M1). Looking for a spare for when my grandson comes with me. $271 is almost the price of a used one. Any downsides besides that it doesn't come with a case?

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:51 PM »
I have the Marcum VX1P (older version of the M1). Looking for a spare for when my grandson comes with me. $271 is almost the price of a used one. Any downsides besides that it doesn't come with a case?

Nope.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:21 AM »
I used to have a humminbird 45. Have a Vexilar flx 20 now and would never go back to a humminbird. My old humminbird only lasted about 8 years before crapping out and humminbird wanted something like $150 plus shipping to fix it.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:49 PM »

Nope none at all. Like others mentioned, it's a solid unit all around. I bought it this year at that same price as a back-up to my MX-7, but have found myself using it quite often to quickly check holes instead of powering up my MX-7. I have no regrets.
Da Pack!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2021, 04:38 PM »
thanks guys! I ordered it! Free shipping

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2021, 08:22 PM »
I have nothing negative to say about my 35. Its worked fine for years, and has every feature that I need. However I'm switching to a garmin next year, only because I cant see the bird on camera when I record. Thats not a negative of the 35, all mechanical flashers are that way. Can only see it indoors or at night on camera, which really sucks
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:26 AM »
one of the better entry level mechanicals.  nice big flat screen.  big knobs. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:29 PM »
 I fished with a friend of mine who has the Ice 35. Notice the bands are wider and more visible than my marcum.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2021, 07:22 PM »
Better than not having one.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2021, 09:23 AM »
Work great for me great bang for the buck.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Better than not having one.
are you saying that it's better than nothing? are you not happy with it?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2021, 07:03 PM »
are you saying that it's better than nothing? are you not happy with it?

No they are a solid unit.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:40 AM »
just arrived yesterday from Fleet Farm. Assembled it. very noisy like the motor is loose. knobs feel like it was cheaply made. the carrying cradle is solid. we'll see how it performs

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2021, 06:32 AM »
just arrived yesterday from Fleet Farm. Assembled it. very noisy like the motor is loose. knobs feel like it was cheaply made. the carrying cradle is solid. we'll see how it performs

That sounds odd to me. Maybe you got a bad one? The motor in mine is no louder than a vex or marcum unit and the knobs are great.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Surprised you could find one, every thing is sold out.
I’m still waiting on my new FLX 30 since January.
My grandson runs one of my old ice 35’s, great rugged unit. Still going strong over 10 years old.
I would contact them because that doesn’t sound right.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2021, 02:35 PM »
had it out today. the display looks nothing like the actual display. the actual display looks like my Marcum VX1P. Also, the weirdest thing, the display would swing so that it was hard to tell what depth it was, whether it was 20' or 17' back and forth. no matter what setting I had, I would, at times, lose my jig. sometimes it would disappear unless i moved it. not loving this flasher

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Prob got one somebody returned

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:48 AM »
That sounds odd to me. Maybe you got a bad one? The motor in mine is no louder than a vex or marcum unit and the knobs are great.

I thought mine was quieter than a vex, one of the non FLX versions that is. The HB sound is more like a hum/whir, not the "chatter" sound of an old vex. I'd agree, sounds like a bad one, I'd exchange it ASAP

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:36 PM »
just got off the phn with Fleet Farm. They are sending me a prepaid shipping label and will credit me my $271. On a side note. they have a few Vexilar FL18 Genz pack with the 12* transducer for $389. That's $50 less than list price. I also got a Promo code MELISSA10 for 10% off and still get free shipping. Ordered the Vex. Hope I have better luck

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Yeah the display rocking back and forth is the motor going bad.all my marcums did that and had to be sent in for repairs for bad motors.the display  would rock from the motor running at different speeds.the vexilar will treat you right for many years to come.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 10, 2021, 07:26 AM »
Wow that sucks.  Like they say you can get  a lemon in anything.  I'm beginning to think my Milwaukee M18 2408 drill is one.  Thinking seriously about sending it back to find out why it keeps stopping on me, while drilling a hole.  Batteries are all charged, per the indicator.  Just sucks when you get something and have to send it back.  I still stand by Hummingbird.  Have had them for years with no problems.  But again, I guess you can get a bad one, like everything else.  I hope you enjoy your "new" flasher.

I would definitely be sending that MKE drill back, there's no reason it should be stopping while drilling a hole.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.