Author Topic: Eskimo pop up?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo pop up?
« on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:00 PM »
Do they get easier to open with use.  Just bought. The 2 man and had a hard time opening it.  The directions say to pop the roof first.  It wouldn’t open.  I had to pop the sides out than the roof.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Eskimo pop up?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2021, 09:54 PM »
I have never follow those directions.

I pop open a side first.  This allows me to secure a tether to an anchor on the wind side.  Then get another side open and secure tether to another anchor.  No, shelter tumbling in the wind now.  I can then find the proper anchor point properly afterwards on the wind side and move the tether.

If not windy.  The side allows me to lift it up and then over myself.  Thus allowing me to be on the inside to push out the other hubs, without getting my gloves pinched/caught.  If I was wanting to hurry can probably do it in 30-60 seconds.

It gets easier when one knows how to set up the shelter before deployment.  Always make sure that the roof part is ready to be deployed.  I lift it up a little bit just so.  The last thing one wants is to deploy one side of the shelter that binds the other poles and side/roof and then one is forcing the whole shelter to unbind/untangle itself.  That's how a pole or hub usually breaks, by over forcing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 04:49 AM »
Roof last when setting up, first when tearing down.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:12 AM »
Bought  5 man Eskimo last year - absolutely love it  - sets up in under a minute. Totally agree with securing anchors 1st if there is wind, a lot easier then trying to hold it back and get the anchors in. The only negative is getting back into the bag. It comes down just as quick but need 2 people to get it back into the bag. Suggest using the straps provided and wrapping it tight before attempting to bag it.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2021, 08:29 PM »
I always do roof last. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:39 AM »
On my 949i ..I have one side with a twisted pole issue .on set up...I have recently started to do the sides first (this may be what is causing the issue) and the the roof last on set up ..on tear down its the roof first then side . Next outing going with the roof first ..then the sides per instructions .

Found this interesting

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Bought  5 man Eskimo last year - absolutely love it  - sets up in under a minute. Totally agree with securing anchors 1st if there is wind, a lot easier then trying to hold it back and get the anchors in. The only negative is getting back into the bag. It comes down just as quick but need 2 people to get it back into the bag. Suggest using the straps provided and wrapping it tight before attempting to bag it.

Just stop using the bag. If you throw a cinch strap / bungie cord / something similar around the whole thing you don't need the bag at all and can tear down alone.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.