Author Topic: Question on kayl's DIY Salmonbear  (Read 1183 times)

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
Question on kayl's DIY Salmonbear
« on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:38 AM »
kayl,

Saw your November 14, 2018 pics post on your DIY salmonbear rod holder https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=360915.msg3869881#msg3869881 . After studying your pics I decided to make a copy. They were out of the Jaws wooden rat traps at my local Menards so I bought a Victor rat trap at Walmart for a $1.96 and started tinkering. I decided to keep the baseboard of the trap itself and mount it to another board. Used some corner brackets to make the to make the pivot supports for the rod tube and kill bar stop. I bent my kill bar stop so that it would rest against the top of the trap to the rear of the kill bar springs when the thing is fully cocked. I mounted my rod holder tube closer to the rear of the rat  trap to get the maximum amount  of  angle of the tube when tripped . Mounting the kill bar stop this way allowed me to put the machine screws in from the bottom and install and tighten them without having to drill a access hole on the top of the tube. 

Got a couple questions for you: 

I’m still working out the trigger details. Would it be possible to get some dimensions from yours?

I like you use of eye bolts to mount the kill bar to the base board and would like to incorporate that into my version. I
How did you do this?

I will get some pics of my version posted as I progress a little further.I plan to make a DIY post on it's construction details when it's done.

SmilingBob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.