Author Topic: Fish Monkey Gloves  (Read 4593 times)

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish Monkey Gloves
« on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Anyone have experience with Fish Monkey gloves? Specifically their Yeti Glove & Mitten series https://www.fishmonkeygloves.com/Item/FM36

I have been on the hunt for a new pair of good quality mittens for many years since my Frabill Snosuit FXEs bit the dust. I have tried Striker and Ice Armor but not a fan. I’d like some real world reviews before I drop $90 and I can’t find much info out there other than Bro Brosdahl loving them (but he is paid to do so).

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fish Monkey Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:55 PM »

Are these made by the same guys who brought us Trunk Monkey?

Trunk Monkey's are awesome...

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Gonna go out on a limb here and say they are probably good...but half the price is Yeti.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Thinsolate is crap in my opinion      Snowmobile Mits good really old ones better

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Nice pair of Kinco's mitts and Sno-Seal will last you a very long time. Wool liner glover for when it gets extreme.

As for the fish monkey gloves, they do look pretty impressive. Pricey but impressive

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2020, 02:21 PM »
https://gordini.com/collections/mitts?page=1

I actually own a pair of these. Have had them for 3 years and still keep me warm and dry.

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Those Gordini look interesting. Which model of mittens do you have? I see they have multiple types.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2020, 02:58 AM »
Those Gordini look interesting. Which model of mittens do you have? I see they have multiple types.

The exact style I have is no longer there. But the Aqua Bloc Down Gauntlet (1st one in the 2nd row) is the closest to what I own.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Anyone have experience with Fish Monkey gloves? Specifically their Yeti Glove & Mitten series https://www.fishmonkeygloves.com/Item/FM36

I have been on the hunt for a new pair of good quality mittens for many years since my Frabill Snosuit FXEs bit the dust. I have tried Striker and Ice Armor but not a fan. I’d like some real world reviews before I drop $90 and I can’t find much info out there other than Bro Brosdahl loving them (but he is paid to do so).

I own a pair and love them! They are like my carhartt work gloves crossed with my old ice armour gloves.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2020, 11:48 AM »
Ok, I have a statement and a question.  First off, I have been fishing for more years then most on here have been living.  Having said that, I tried mittens exactly twice!  Both times they ended up laying on the ice while I fished.  Was it cold out, absolutely, however the mittens were just as absolutely useless!  Now for the question or in this case questions.  How in the heck do you; #1 feel the bite of a fish, unless your catching Jaws, #2 rebait your hook with mittens on, #3 take fish off the hook with mittens on, #4 keep your hands warm, while "trying" to do the above?  I guess they would work if you only caught 1 fish an hour, maybe even two, but if your catching at fish every three or four minutes, mittens are off more then they are on!  Just my observation but I found mittens to be  pretty much useless while fishing.  Yes, they are great for driving out on a sled or quad, yes they are great for sitting on the ice watching tip-ups, yes they may be great for sledding down a hill, possibly snow skiing, but for fishing "USELESS".  By the way, I have tried the kind that have fingers in them and flip over your fingers and hook on the back of your hand.  If I'm gonna fish the with the finger cover, flipped over and hooked on the back of my hand, I'm fishing with gloves on, not mittens.  Soooooo I have to ask again, how does one actually fish with mittens?  I have found either using a muff, or putting my hand in my pocket, both complete with a handwarmer, does the trick.  As you can see I didn't say putting my "hands" in my pocket.  I fish using one hand, when that hand gets cold, I switch hands and the one that was holding the rod goes into the muff to be warmed.  The great thing about humans are that we are all different and if mittens work for you I'm glad, they just don't and haven't worked for me.  If its really cold and I am wearing gloves, I prefer the thinnest waterproof, tight fitting glove I can find.  This way I can feel the bite, my hands don't get wet and they stay warmer then no gloves at all.  Usually, you will find me gloveless, one hand in a pocket the other on the end of a rod.  However, you keep your hands warm, while enjoying the sport we all love, keep at it as long as you can.  As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!

I have been using mittens for over 55 years, so I'm older than most too (I'll be on Medicare starting Tuesday  ;))...neither here nor there.  Reasons? 1) They are rarely on... to and fro usually 2) They are oversized...easy on/easy off...tucked just inside my jacket for quick access 3) When I do put them on, it is just to get them warmed up again...and the best pair of mittens will warm my hands faster than the best pair of gloves that I've ever used. And science says so as well...

https://packyourtent.com/are-mittens-warmer-than-gloves/

So bottom line it's personal preference and what works for me. Mittens it is.

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2020, 12:00 PM »
What he said! Nothing will bring your hands back quicker than good pair of mittens. I mainly fish with lightweight gloves but always have mittens for real warmth/recovery, especially when my hands get wet. Oversize is key for fishing with mittens on in extreme cold/wind, once you hook up just slip them off.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2020, 12:09 PM »
Army surplus stores tend to carry a variety of large mittens that are designed to slip on and off very easily.  They are usually of good quality as well.  They also have very cheap wools for layering under them.
westernmas on the finder

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Maybe a lil off base but the muff idea with a rechargeable USB pocket hand warmer seems like a great idea.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2020, 02:53 PM »
Kids got me a muff last year.  Great with disposable warmer in middle.  But, still need mittens to drag on and off ice.
I'm going to hang mittens around my neck with hand warmer in each one.  My Christmas stocking usually holds a dozen disposable hand warmers.  When windy and freezing I usually keep one in the pocket over my heart.
Dick

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Kids got me a muff last year.  Great with disposable warmer in middle.  But, still need mittens to drag on and off ice.
I'm going to hang mittens around my neck with hand warmer in each one.  My Christmas stocking usually holds a dozen disposable hand warmers.  When windy and freezing I usually keep one in the pocket over my heart.
Dick

That is exactly what I do.

- Mittens in transit and set-up

- Muff with warmer (on string around my neck) during fishing.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I saw these yesterday- basically a variant of the muff idea. Any thoughts:

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/sale/stand-mitts-orig-camo/

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:51 PM »
The one downside I see is that yo now have 2 items dangling at the end of a string. I would probably bungle things up and trip on them. A muff seems more idiot-proof.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2020, 03:57 PM »
The one downside I see is that yo now have 2 items dangling at the end of a string. I would probably bungle things up and trip on them. A muff seems more idiot-proof.

The way I read it, they strap to your thigh, more like pockets. I suppose that is why they are on sale- we already have pockets.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:23 AM »
hardwater diehard; where do you find these rechargable USB hand warmers? how long do they stay warm? never heard of them before. but very interested. link would be very helpful. thank you, wire

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Snitch; thank you. will try them out later this month. Red lake sleeper week before christmas. YAY!!! wire.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:48 AM »
hardwater diehard; where do you find these rechargable USB hand warmers? how long do they stay warm? never heard of them before. but very interested. link would be very helpful. thank you, wire

https://www.gowarmer.com/?mid=11199333&msclkid=7de5c16a75351194f4cd9ebf6033f455

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sufishticated

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I use these with hand warmers for 2 seasons, no complains.
https://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Polar-Eskimo-Mittens?quantity=1&L-Size1=1500&L-Color1=9328&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn62Chezh7QIVCTeGCh25MgBIEAQYBCABEgJ4VvD_BwE

Got these as a cheep back up, reading this, should have gotten a muff, but thats next  ;)https://www.ebay.com/itm/REAL-GENUINE-SHEEPSKIN-SHEARLING-LEATHER-MITTENS-UNISEX-Fur-Winter-GLOVES-S-2XL/272462401096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=571480846896&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

thx

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:01 AM »
If you look at the specs for these hand warmers, most of the time you can get the amp-hour (or in the case of these milli-amp hour) ratings. Since all of the heat comes from the battery, the larger the battery, the more heat you will have. Also, they have several wattages, and of course, the lower wattage you select, the longer they last. They always quote the "up to" hours on the lowest setting. You can make anything last a long time if you run low enough power. The one in the middle has half the capacity of the others.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.