Author Topic: Time to experiment?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Time to experiment?
« on: Sep 29, 2019, 08:28 AM »
So...I have a bunch of round lead head jigs (various colors) in 3/4 to 1 oz. that I use for jigging Walleye in the spring that I'm considering trying through the ice. Maybe tie on a small Hali or other flash just above it. Thoughts?

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Time to experiment?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. My only concern is they might be a bit heavy unless you're fishing very deep water. Or on some really big 'eyes  ;D. I use 3/8 to 1/2 in the spring to counter heavy current in rivers but open water heaviest I go for live bait is 1/4. My rule is usually go as light as you can go and still maintain lure control. Swimbait and snap jigging might go 3/8 or a little heavier but that's a little different. As long a you got 'em no harm in playing.

I'm always playing with different stuff. Sometimes it someone else's idea, other times it's my pea brain workin' overtime. Some work, some don't but it's always an education  ;)  I've discovered some really cool things over the years..
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2019, 10:00 AM »
So...I have a bunch of round lead head jigs (various colors) in 1/2 to 3/4 oz. that I use for jigging Walleye in the spring that I'm considering trying through the ice. Maybe tie on a small Hali or other flash just above it. Thoughts?

Back hook a minnow and dead stick them

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Nothing wrong with that. My only concern is they might be a bit heavy unless you're fishing very deep water. Or on some really big 'eyes  ;D. I use 3/8 to 1/2 in the spring to counter heavy current in rivers but open water heaviest I go for live bait is 1/4. My rule is usually go as light as you can go and still maintain lure control. Swimbait and snap jigging might go 3/8 or a little heavier but that's a little different. As long a you got 'em no harm in playing.

I'm always playing with different stuff. Sometimes it someone else's idea, other times it's my pea brain workin' overtime. Some work, some don't but it's always an education  ;)  I've discovered some really cool things over the years..

I was thinking same thing...a little lighter...1/4 to 3/8. I fish the Detroit River in the spring and 1 oz. is almost a must off back of the boat because of the current. On calm days a guy can get away with 3/4...from the front of boat. I like the ball jigs because they are cheap and I have a few Halis already so I say...why not.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2019, 05:02 AM »
Akin to like a bass drop shot rig but it's nothing new.  I pick up old tossed jigs on the banks or save my worn out jigs when hooks have become useless.  I use them like weights and have my actual lure about a foot above it.  Even the small ones, when I'm just looking for a little more weight. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:49 AM »
It will work seen it in a magazine some ware but pan fish sized..

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I would use them in a slider rig setup - I do this fishing deeper water for lake trout, whitefish, and even cisco with those heavier jigs as my bottom lure.  Thread a hook or jig onto the main line so it slides on the line then tie a swivel on.  Add a 12" - 14" leader to the other end of the swivel and attach your 3/4 - 1 ounce jig.  Add a waxie or small minnow to the upper hook and a tube bait to the bottom. Great setup for pounding bottom.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Bucket,
Is your main line braid, floro, or mono? What pound test for both, mainline and leader.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Typically #8 braid for main and #10 floro leader, but have gone as light as #6 braid and #6 floro while fishing 160' deep for lakers and whitefish.  The #6 pound setup is my preferred walleye rigging, but generally don't go over 1/2 ounce weight lures for those.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Thank you Sir! I’m going to have to try this next laker trip. Should work in shallower water (35 to 65 feet), as well.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
One other dumb question...what kid of jigs do you use on r the mainline as a slider?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Demons work well, but most any vertical jig and even plain hooks will do the job. 

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Thanks again!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2019, 12:36 AM »
I rarely fish walleye deeper than 20 ft in the winter, so I use an 1/8 oz, the lighter they are the easier they can suck them in and the 1/8 oz still gets down fairly quickly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.