The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: crystal lake-montcalm county  (Read 1378 times)

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
crystal lake-montcalm county
« on: Mar 03, 2006, 10:39 AM »
 been wanting to try this lake and decided to take the family there this sunday.i've heard decent fishing there for perch , gills and wallys.anyone have any suggestions where to start.would love to have a day of catching with the family.bait shop says 10-14 ioi. taking the machines so no problem with the travel.thanks

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline Eyecatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: crystal lake-montcalm county
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:39 PM »
The guys at The Tacklebox (989) 235-6413 can point you in the right direction.

Also if you search the DNR site you can find a topographical map. On the North side of the lake there is a roller rink marked on the map.  You can park there and walk out.  There is a launch on the south side where you can go out also.  I fished in 5-15' of water just west of the rink and caught a couple gills and perch but it was a bright day.  I have heard this lake is better when its cloudy.  I saw a few people fish the flat just west of the island but again it was a very slow day so I can't say whether or not it is a good spot. 

Good Luck if you go and bring minnows for the eyes and perch.

Let me know how you do.

Offline bignate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin and Gillin
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:39 PM »
You need to hit this lake on the right day.  If you do you will do decent on perch and gills, not bad on pike and the walleye are hard to find anytime.  They are  concentrating on the south side the most now around the deep hole for perch, not sure how deep they are but be carefull.  There is ten 10 to 14 ioi on the lake accept between the little island and the point that comes to it from shore there was open water this last weekend, but people are still able to drive vehicles within 100yds of it so it is safe if you don't get to close.  Talk with the bait shop and they can fill you in on the conditions and were to go.

nate

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 08:46 PM »
well a nice day as far as weather but the fishing was tough at best.fished west side and all around the island -1 perch dink.moved to roller rink and fish from 8 ft to 25 ft with nothing wanting anything i put down.had fish come off the bottom right up to the offerings and nothing, back down.all day long.moved to the sunken island on the south west shore, 1 small pike on a jig and a couple small small gills.nothing on the tips today.tried 6lb set up for perch and wallys and my reg set up for pike.notta.it was brite most of the day.kids faces were getting pretty burned so headed in around 4pm.good day with the family but bad fishing.10-14 ioi trucks driving out.open water  from point to small island.but safe around it.

oh the races and thousand sleds all over didnt help either.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.