Author Topic: Going with bucket only any advice  (Read 2831 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Going with bucket only any advice
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2017, 03:28 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I am making a list of the items. Plan to take off early have 1.5 hr drive north to find ice. Should be 3 - 4 inches from phone calls to bait shop. I am not very familiar with the lake but have fished a couple times frozen and open water. Going to stop at bait shop and get some pointers at 7:00 am. Packing up minimal gear and I do have a little Otter sled that was given to me that started this hobby. All of poles are short 24 - 26 inches because of shack. I appreciate all the info and replies

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2017, 03:34 PM »
You have all you'll ever need Mr. Tuber. Good luck to you.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Sorry but the price of a one man new is not that much and maybe you can find a used one. I just sold my Clam scout for $ 200.00 that was with the travel cover and runner kit. Nothing wrong with bucket fishing. Did it for a lot of years!
You probably have all the safety gear. You know your limits. Go out and enjoy and please be safe!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:20 PM »
A couple of those cheap hand warmers just incase the gloves are no longer keeping the fingers warm. They are light weight and take up little space.  Lou
Just like hunting season- I end up stuffing them every where - couple extra in the boots, jean front pockets, at the wrists inside the shirt, top of the hand inside of gloves....
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2017, 04:56 PM »
I was the first on the ice at first light, it was kinda spooky and I fished for about 2 hours until someone showed up. We talked for a bit and fished the really shallow area where you could see your jig. I kept pretty warm but my toes got cold, I have an older pair of Sorels and I think the liner is shot. I put in some toe heaters and that helped. I also did the wrist heater and that worked pretty good. Other than that fishing was pretty bad only caught really little perch and one small walleye. It was super quiet out there and I drilled more holes in one day than I do in a normal season.

Thanks for all the replies and help

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:08 PM »
Good for you! I personally love that 'kinda spooky and super quiet' it is part of ice fishing solo that's the best.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:20 PM »
As ice gets better I am sure you will go deeper and further out..we're fish probably are..

As for what to bring I would build a bucket for this purpose and see what fits in it??  I am still working on mine got the ht half moon bucket top seat but thinking of getting a  heat a seat bucket seat and attaching it to the bottom of bucket so when you flip it over its a seat.. it attaches with velcro to bucket.. 

also flashers are a fitting issue that and drinks lunch jigs ice scoops and rods and lighting if you fish at night.. to solve that I will add a led strip around bucket for light that connects to flasher battery.. and rod /ice scoop holders to out side of bucket.. similar monuting of  those beaver damn trap holder that mount to outside of a bucket except I will use pvc tubes instead..  that leaves room for flasher and drinks and lunch In bucket maybe even a jig box .. but that will go in coat once there.. 

I walk out with my hand auger on my left shoulder  blade facing forward and handle behind me..   in the drop or crotch if you will of the handle..  Is ware I  place the bucket handle and that and auger is held by left hand.... the spud is in my right hand as for heat dress really warm and hand warmers gloves are s plus cause there light.. never forget the spud no mater what it's a life saver.. and don't forget to buy or bring or make ice safety pick to get you back on ice if you fell threw..

Sounds like you had a learning experience first time out .. but at least you went!!  also leave a game plan of what time you be there and back approx..  it may save you life like ware going etc just so others know when you go.. be fore you  get on ice give them a call and give them a call before you pull away after you leave ice so they know your alright.. if any change in plans call !! better to let then know your staying a extra hour then then woring about you..

Offline Capt. j-rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:40 PM »
I built a bucket rig last year. I took a blue barrel (60L I believe) and a military Alice pack frame. I bolted the barrel to the frame with ss bolts and fender washers. The suspension on the frame makes it a backpack. I added PVC for rod sleeves to carry rods. I now have two free hands to carry a spud, auger, lantern, case of beer, or whatever else. I am careful not to over load the barrel with weight. I usually put my striker coat in the barrel to walk out and then I have it when I cool off. My marcum LX7 actually sparked the project because it won't fit in a 5 gallon bucket. The seat height is higher which is nice. Waterproof too. I have a baby jet sled that I sometimes take for a rod case and tip-ups and bait bucket.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Find someone to be your friend and talk them into helping you move it all.
Thread killer

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Smitty Sled!

Build yourself a Smitty Sled to move your 2 - Man shelter on. It's how a LOT of us have been doing it. You still have EVERYTHING as usual and it pulls 100% easier. Takes a minute to assemble when you get to the lake and comes back apart just as fast when you're done so you're not using much more space.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Buy a Shappell 100 or similar one man sled.

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Where I Fish it's illegal ,to use atvs or snowmobiles on the lake, so everything is man power.  A small sled and at least 2 buckets.  One for the poles, lures, dipper and a few odds n ends.  The other is for fish and minnow bucket.  I use one of those cheap fold up camp chairs, usually around $10.  Easier on the back and butt than a bucket.  Every thing fits in a small sled. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.