Author Topic: Delete.  (Read 856 times)

zwubalubadubdubz

Delete.
« on: Nov 05, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Delete.

Offline oc

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Broken "noodle" rod....find parts???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Check out Jann's Netcraft web site. There $2.99 for the reel not sure about shipping but I'm sure you'll find enough goodies there to make it worth it. Fortunately for me there  15 minutes from the house.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:35 PM »
E bay VINTAGE Schooleys DE-MA-REEL NEW GREEN 2.99 + 4 dollars shipping

These have metal post according to photo.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I dont need a new reel itself, i need a new reel axle that screws to the rod...the white part in the picture...

Looks like an easy fix.  Just put the two halves together with super glue, and then drill a hole through it for a small screw to keep it together.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I don't see anywhere they sell individual parts of the reel. As others have stated the reel and the post you are looking for can be had for a few bucks. Otherwise you could post in the pay it forward section and ask if anyone had an old schooley collecting dust, and then throw something up for grabs to pay it forward. I know I have one but with a recent move I couldn't begin to imagine where it might be hiding.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2017, 07:36 PM »
The reels are to cheaply made to sell "parts"

Like one other person said, you could fix the two parts by using an epoxie. I believe the 2 ton or 5min epoxie would bond them really well. However, your looking at $5 or so for the epoxie........$3 for a replacement reel.

Or do the drill and screw thing has stated before.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Check out Jann's Netcraft web site. There $2.99 for the reel not sure about shipping but I'm sure you'll find enough goodies there to make it worth it. Fortunately for me there  15 minutes from the house.
wish I had a transporter. beam me to Jann's Netcraft, Scotty

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2017, 12:48 AM »
I’d just splurge the $4 and take off the new reel and replace it with the old reel on the new mount if the reel itself is of any significance to you. If not, just use the new reel/mount as it is. 
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2017, 06:40 AM »
My inclination is to repair, not replace. Plastic can be tough to glue depending on both the plastic and the chosen adhesive. If I remember this part is a softer plastic, probably a polyethylene. It lends itself to easy casting/molding, is fairly durable in cold weather but is probably the most difficult to glue. There isn't a solvent I am aware of would really do any kind of job on it.

I just went down and looked at one of mine and I think the above is correct. You could try a small drop of plastic adhesive and see if it actually melts the plastic. If it does that is the route I'd go. A combo plumbing cement (PVC, CPVC, ABS) or JB Plastic Weld would be my first choices. If anything will work the JB will. Mix according to directions, just a drop, align the parts and hold/clamp 'em together until they're good and stuck. Don't pull them apart to check, it will either work or not. Let it cure a good 24 - 48 hours before using.

OK, never mind. Just read the reel description: "made of nearly indestructible nylon". This is tough but the JB may still work. I've also had some success with gentle heating until just "melty" and pushing together, a welding of sorts if you will. the trick is to keep things aligned until the nylon sets. Try to not capture any air bubbles in the joint or it will be weakened and likely break again.

A more permanent solution would be to get a machine screw that fits the nut and is about the same length as the broken part.Think aluminum or better yet brass, easy to work and corrosion resistant. Cut the stub off the mounting base and drill it out to accept the screw.

I'd make the hole just large enough where you have to turn/thread the screw through the hole, not where it slips in. this will help keep it from turning when you adjust your spool. You would likely have to do some filing/grinding on the screw head to get it to fit under the mount well and not spin. Option #2: Your rod handle looks like fairly hard thermoplastic (that means it was formed with heat). Once the hole is drilled in the mount put it on your rod handle and mark exactly where the screw head will be. Remove the mount, heat the head of the screw (not while it's still in the mount) enough to melt the rod plastic and press it into the spot you marked. Don't burn your fingers, use a pliers or Vise-Grips and don't damage the threads. Wait until everything cools down and gently wiggle the screw free of the handle. Now screw it thru the mount until it's just tight, place the repaired mount on the rod handle aligning the screw head with the recess. You may have to turn the screw a little to get it to push in. Be careful you don't upset the tight fitting nature of that recess. It will not only contain the head without having to file/grind it down so your reel mounts fits like it should but keep the screw from turning if you adjust the reel.

I know, this all sounds like a bunch of messing around for a $4 reel. Thing is your reel is worth $0 right now. You have nothing to lose and an even better reel to gain if you embrace the screw solution.

Last two things: 1.) Welcome to the Shanty! Lots of great folks and info here. 2.) If you add your location to your profile it helps us help you. Maybe someone knows a spot just down the road where you can get what you seek. Or is willing to share a great fishing spot. Or, well, use your imagination.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.