Author Topic: 13 Fishing Free Falls  (Read 630 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
13 Fishing Free Falls
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I am a fan of the 6061 Black Betty reels, having two of them.  I'm wondering about buying 2 more or waiting and buying 2 free falls.  I waited last year and was able to get the 6061's at a buy one get one rate....so anyone know if something like that may occur with the free falls?

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 13 Fishing Free Falls
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:31 AM »
They are sold out everywhere (left hand reeling models) and will be available in september

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:40 AM »
I have one free fall reel and really like it. Being able to let go of the lever and have the line instantly stop going down is really nice .

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:36 PM »
yep I have looked everywhere I could think of no luck. Must be good reels as I have not really seen any negative reports on them.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:50 PM »
can they drop a lure faster than a comparable spinning reel, even with heavy lures like 3/4oz spoons?

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I have many 6061 reels, a couple Teardrops, and a Freefall. I like the Freefall and the operation of it. My issue with is that when using a really small Teardrop jig the freefall just doesn't free spool. My 6061s will drop any size lure very quickly. At this stage I have turned my Freefall into my perch/crappie rig since I would be using larger lures. I suggest sticking with 6061s.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline RockyMtn.Royster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:52 PM »
I have a free fall reel and stopped using it because, while fighting a fish I accidentally hit the trigger and went into free spool. This is very easy to do if you fish with a pistol style grip.

The trigger is just to easy to hit.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:57 PM »
can they drop a lure faster than a comparable spinning reel, even with heavy lures like 3/4oz spoons?

not at all.  they are a smidge faster than a cgi or eagle claw but not by much.  still very slow on 3mm/4mm tungsten. 

they also suck out in the cold.  they work well in a shanty supposedly.  my only use was outside and it stunk.

its drag is no better than the others either.   

all in all, they aren't worth the 110 bucks if you ask me.  the lever is a nice touch but otherwise, meh. 

there is a 2nd hand market for them on fb buy sell boards. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.