Author Topic: First Ice (Twice)  (Read 650 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
First Ice (Twice)
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:38 AM »
This is the first year I can remember that we had first ice twice !! In my 50+ years of fishing ice the lakes I fish don't remember it ever happening. Have you ever had it happen??   This area it's 99.9% gone !!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: First Ice (Twice)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Last year. once this year so far looks like maybe might happen again this year.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:50 AM »
my god I couldn't live without ice in the winter!!! I already live way up north and wouldn't mind going a little farther....
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:15 AM »
seems to happen almost every year. we get the early ice before january, it melts part way from a warm up and then more ice and another warm up. i recall three warm ups one season not long ago. i was fishing near open water that year. i have pictures of it.

the good part is i can get some work caught up and take up a new hobby of target shooting indoors and resume target shooting outdoors now that it's cold again.

2016 was the warmest year ever recorded. they have been recording weather for 130 years. the warmest group of years has been since 2001.
yesterday matched a record for cloudy days of eight in a row.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I'd love to get back to the long seasons of ice fishing that used to start by mid December and go most of the way through March! I know, that was about 50 years ago but life was much different then! At least we don't have the horrific Vietnam war to think about. Although I'll NEVER stop being proud of those that served there!
But still, waiting for safe first ice twice in one season does make for a long winter.
The reason I started ice fishing was so I had something to do besides just waiting for the end of winter ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Gills,  could be 3 times for first ice here in Pa. We had 2 the words out on number 3. Me and my buddy are ready for a road trip. We need some GOOD ICE not 2.5"- 3" the new standard for safe  in Pa.lol Where having colder weather but not really great ice making weather.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Happens way more than I like around here...

<°)))>{

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Allegan county is in the michigans snow belt.it happens every year here.at least the last 8 or 9

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:04 PM »
many times. Been on our home lake for 43 years. Jan thaws are common. Had a couple years with 36" of ice, too. I've fished out of my 14' quite a few times in winter.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I meant when the ice completely is gone as recently, sure there has been years that we get warm days in January, and the ice may be questionable, but can't remember when ice completely leaves and comes back!!!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:32 AM »
This year was different only because some areas got a lot of much-needed rain, which help melt more ice.

We tend to forget that February, on average, is the coldest and snowiest month.

We'll have to see if it holds true this year.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:01 PM »
I meant when the ice completely is gone as recently, sure there has been years that we get warm days in January, and the ice may be questionable, but can't remember when ice completely leaves and comes back!!!

I think it happened last year in east central Indiana? Just can't remember if it completely disappeared or not. I will agree this year we had 4-6 inches of nice clear, hard ice. It completely melted and then got another 4-6 inches of clear,hard ice...it left and it's open water and been golfing 4 times...lol. Doesn't look like fishable ice for central Indiana...maybe you guys in the northern part of the state?

Many times we have bays freeze...get a week or so of hot action...while most of the lakes are open. Then it melts and we get the real ice a couple of weeks later. Have had boats fishing within couple hundred yards of ice fishermen in the bays. Had one guy trying to bust through the ice with his boat...to get to where we were ice fishing....he didn't make it, but his waves and motion was starting to effect the ice...not cool!

Paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.