Author Topic: Garmin eTrex 10  (Read 2386 times)

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin eTrex 10
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I am interested in a handheld GPS unit to enter coordinates for some structure in local local lakes and was wondering if anyone uses an eTrex 10 and how accurate it is.  I have searched the site and see the Garmin eTrex series is often recommended, but I have found very little on the eTrex 10 specifically.  Can an eTrex 10 owner share their experiences?  I know there are better units available but I have found a good deal on an eTrex 10 and I will be using the unit exclusively for marking waypoints on a few local lakes and want to make sure it is accurate before spending the money.

Thank you,
Zubie

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Garmin eTrex 10
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:10 PM »
ANY general consumer  GPS is only going to be accurate to about 10FT at BEST. After that its  up to you to do the rest of the work all things being equal like making sure you have clear sky when your marking points and entering accurate data.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2016, 04:32 AM »
I believe you can waypoint average on the Etrex 10...this will help some to pinpoint your location better. I have the Etrex 20 ...and love that thing ...some good tutorials on YouTube .

https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00970-00&language=en&country=US
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2016, 07:46 AM »
I also have the eTrex20, and the main difference between the two is color screen/sd card slot. Otherwise the 10 will do all that you for basic information.

Offline crdroste

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:14 AM »
I have the etrex 20, a similar unit, they get you in the general area. but if I'm going to way points I took from a lake depth maps I often find that the lake depth maps are much less accurate that the GPS (the structure i was trying to get to doesn't exist or isn't as pronounced as i thought it would be).
All fishermen are liars except for you and me and I'm not so sure about you.

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Thank you for all of the quick replies. So what I am trying to do is enter the GPS coordinates for some cribs provided for a local lake and what I am gathering as that a handheld GPS unit will not bring me to the "exact" spot but will get me close (approx 10 ft) from the coordinates that I have entered.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Once you locate your spot ...use waypoint averaging page 6

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//etrex_10_QSM_EN.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:42 AM »
I most often find that my different Garmins are right on, most often within a foot or two... The most accurate is returning to a spot after you have used your averaging feature on your Garmin. I have had my old 76 bring me back to a old hole I had marked 2 weeks before. It was now snow covered and when the Garmin said I was there I kicked the snow out of the way and there was my old hole, complete with the frozen in weeds...
Most of the time I hook my Garmins up to a compute and use different softwares (there are many) to send my created waypoints to my gps, much easier, I don't need to make sure I am using the same format for Latitude and longitude (there are many) and it can all be done in a few minutes...

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Thank you again for the replies, I looked at the attached manual and entering waypoints and waypoint averaging seems simple, but is there a way to transfer map coordinates saved on a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet directly to the Garmin eTrex 10 unit  and saving each of the locations as a waypoint without having to manually enter all of the data on the GPS unit itself?  I watched a youtube video of a woman explaining how to transfer a route from the GPS unit to your computer, but I am trying to do the opposite.   I am talking about entering upwards of 400 locations and if there is a way to just transfer the coordinates from Excel to the GPS unit and have each saved as a separate waypoint that would save a ton of time.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2016, 01:17 PM »
Babel is handy for many things;

https://www.gpsbabel.org/

also handy is Garmin's Trip and Waypoint Manager software.

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I have the older Garmin HCX and a new 64s and they are both fantastic.  I have not ever really used them for fishing but use them for hunting all the time and they gt me on to my numbers quite well. Especially when you use the way point averaging like stated.  For the money I feel the etrex's are great.  Personally I would bump up to the 20 to get the color screen and SD card slot.

Offline zubie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Thank you everyone for the replies!  I ended up purchasing a Garmin which appears to be a common recommendation from most; and purchased the Garmin Oregon 600t unit!  Cabela's has a great sale on them now for $250 compared to the $480 msrp and I had a $20 coupon to use and some gift cards so I feel like it should be a great upgrade over the eTrex 10.  If anyone has any recommendations or comments on this unit please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again,
Zubie

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies!  I ended up purchasing a Garmin which appears to be a common recommendation from most; and purchased the Garmin Oregon 600t unit!  Cabela's has a great sale on them now for $250 compared to the $480 msrp and I had a $20 coupon to use and some gift cards so I feel like it should be a great upgrade over the eTrex 10.  If anyone has any recommendations or comments on this unit please feel free to let me know.

Thanks again,
Zubie

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/custommaps

find maps to add to your collection...screen grabs...scans etc

print out the instruction...quite helpful when I did mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.