Author Topic: Ice Picks  (Read 1699 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Picks
« on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:28 AM »
You have them? I do!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Picks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:37 AM »
Yes sir ,spud and creepers

Offline drscholl14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Yep, and my trusty spud bar....

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:29 AM »
Picks, spud bar, float suit, and throwable float. Only I don't have yet is some walkable ice!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Yup!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Picks, spud bar, float suit, and throwable float. Only I don't have yet is some walkable ice!

:thumbsup:  plus Kahtoola Micros
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Normally don't fish alone, but when I do the lake I fish has standing wood and I spud my way out to where I want to cut holes and then tie the rope off and lay it so if I go in I can grab the rope. Yep always have my picks around my neck. Always pack a rope.
Keep,it safe! JDL

Offline MT_Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Any specific picks that people prefer?  Not trying to hijack the thread but they all look similar...any better than the rest?
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" - Peter Gibbons

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Above all, remember your ice picks.  My grandson and I went thru the ice last year and had to be rescued but the ice picks saved our lives, we were able to set them in and keep us from going under.  Couldn't pull up and roll out as the ice kept breaking off, it was in February and the ice was soft.  Be safe!!

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:16 AM »
yessir!!

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:27 AM »
MT,

I make my own.  Go to the Dollar Store and get two Phillips head screwdrivers. 

Make sure you get the ones made in China.  Those child laborers in China have been making screwdrivers for thousands of years.  They make a good one...

Anyway, cut the screwdriver blades off with a butter knife or a hacksaw about 2-1/2 or 3 inches from the handle.  If you leave them long you can't get the right leverage to pull yourself out. 

Take a file or a grinder and point them. 

If you are careful with your purchase the handles will come w/ pre-drilled holes, if not, use your Chinese made drill bits and drill motor to drill the handles.

Then get some Chinese made rope, (yep those kids been makin' rope for thousands of years).  Tie the ends to the picks, leaving enough rope so they will drape over your neck.  Take a couple scraps of cardboard, fold them in half and wrap w/ electrical tape. 

Slip the picks into the sleeves, throw the rope around the back of your neck.  There you have it, a set of picks for about $3.00... 
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:32 AM »
MT,

Make sure you get the ones made in China.  Those child laborers in China have been making screwdrivers for thousands of years.  They make a good one...

Anyway, cut the screwdriver blades off with a butter knife or a hacksaw about 2-1/2 or 3 inches from the handle.  If you leave them long you can't get the right leverage to pull yourself out. 

If you are careful with your purchase the handles will come w/ pre-drilled holes, if not, use your Chinese made drill bits and drill motor to drill the handles.

Then get some Chinese made rope, (yep those kids been makin' rope for thousands of years).  Tie the ends to the picks, leaving enough rope so they will drape over your neck.  Take a couple scraps of cardboard, fold them in half and wrap w/ electrical tape. 

Slip the picks into the sleeves, throw the rope around the back of your neck.  There you have it, a set of picks for about $3.00...
that's what I did, except I tied them together with leather shoelaces. Always have them around my neck when out on the ice @) :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Yep! Always wear them on early and late ice, whether fishing alone or with someone.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:12 PM »
MT,

sounds like a whole lot of work to save yourself $7

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:14 PM »
MT_Boy I like the Rapala Ice Safety Picks.  the reason is they clamp together so you can hang them around your neck.  Ive used the rope style ones in the past and they were always getting in the way and I found them annoying, subsequently I found myself taking them off all the time, which is exactly where they shouldn't be.  These just make a loop around your neck and stay outta the way.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2016, 12:17 PM »
I think I paid $4 for mine. Bright orange handles and a black spiral cord. Seen them out there a lot.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:01 PM »
MT_Boy I like the Rapala Ice Safety Picks.  the reason is they clamp together so you can hang them around your neck.  Ive used the rope style ones in the past and they were always getting in the way and I found them annoying, subsequently I found myself taking them off all the time, which is exactly where they shouldn't be.  These just make a loop around your neck and stay outta the way.

I wish I could locate a pair of the Rapala w/o breaking the bank on cost/shipping ...but the Frabill retractable ones are good also
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:06 PM »
I think I paid $4 for mine. Bright orange handles and a black spiral cord. Seen them out there a lot.

x2

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:31 PM »
I always attach a whistle to the string of my picks. If I go through it's a lot easier to get someone's attention with a whistle than yelling.

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2016, 02:07 PM »
I wish I could locate a pair of the Rapala w/o breaking the bank on cost/shipping ...but the Frabill retractable ones are good also

http://www.redsgear.com/rapala-ice-safety-spikes-rssk.html

use the code friday15 for an additional 15% off.  I just bought a few extra for friends.  $9.34 shipped to your door.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Crappie55409:  Well those Chinese children need to work too, so I sacrifice a little time...

Seriously, one of the benefits of being retired is time to do things.  When I make stuff myself I know it is right the first time, fit for purpose, good quality and, after I pass it down to my grandson, will last two lifetimes.

That's an awful lot to gain, along with saving seven bucks...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:57 PM »
 yep it's fun to diy.  i have the rapalas and really like them, hope to never have to use em.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Well said Ranger......hope you never have to use them.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2016, 06:54 PM »
yep and a long rope.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Online esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Yep, picks and rope are good insurance BUT if you forgot, lost or can't use any of the aforementioned check this out. It posted up 3 years ago. It's real, though staged and the bottom line: picks, rope or not, you gotta keep your head. Panic will kill you.

Sink or "Swim"....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline JKaboom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I always have pics around my neck and also carry a lanyard with a whistle, clippers, and compass. The whistle is essential IMO.  As far as the kind of pics, my only requirement is that they float, had a fancy pair of retractable ones and once I found out they didn't float, threw them out - wouldn't even give them away. 

I have been meaning to bring rope and that will be solved this year.  I've thought about bringing my auto-inflating pfd fastened to my sled but not sure on that one yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.