Author Topic: Whatever works......almost!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Whatever works......almost!
« on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Seeing as I don't live in really good ice country,folks around here seem to use just about anything to make a hole in the ice.Ive seen people use rocks,sledge hammers,axes,screwdrivers,boat oars ,and logs,but yesterday I witnessed a new one to add to the list.
   Yesterday,I saw a man fishing through holes only about 3" around.Seems he came expecting to use holes made by others,but he couldn't find any.So he took the ball and hitch off his truck ,and pounded holes in 8" of ice.they were pretty tapered to say the least,and he did manage to suck a small brown through one hole?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Whatever works......almost!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:41 PM »
That is truly amazing, Osage, and sad at the same time, that civil intelligence has yet to spread to those folks.      :woot:

Hm, a little more bleach in the gene pool.    :unsure:

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:58 PM »
And he caught a trout?! Imagine if he had a vex, a shanty and some beer he'd be a pro!! What was he using for bait hotdogs or cheetos?
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:54 AM »
I would have loved watching that, especially when he just broke thru the ice and the pounded out hole began filling up with water..... :clap: :roflmao:
You got to give him credit....he was determined to fish and was successful!  :thumbsup: :icefish:
Thanks for the story Osage!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:48 AM »
You would think he would at least invest in a spud to open up old holes. Kind of a "caveman" mentality. If non-fishing folks were to see that they might think his methods were the "norm" and we are all a bunch of neanderthals.....

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Instead of a bunch of crazy guys sitting out in the wind hoping to catch a fish?  Is one better than the other?  Lol

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:54 PM »
That's it I'm getting rid of my spud and using my trailer hitch. 😁

Nah not gonna give this up.  Made it for $40

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Now that is sexy!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Chopped a 10" hole through 2' (12" white ice and 12" black ice) in 4 minutes.  Not what I intended it for, it only weighs 5lbs.  Made it to pop caps off old holes and check the ice for safety.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:18 PM »
Maybe where it all began Eskimo's  Youtube documentary 1967 ...Stone tipped spear through 5-6 feet of ice.

Bud

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Ok,I went back to the same lake today,the same guy with the ball and hitch was already there.I give him credit,he used his chainsaw to cut his holes today.One thing I have found out though,if I wait long enough,some new ice hole making tecnique will come along.A couple hours later a young boy walked out onto the lake and started chopping a hole in the ice.
   After a considerable amount of time,I invited him over to fish in holes I had drilled.When he thankfully approached,he had in his hand a welders chipping hammer.Yep,I've yet to be let down on things I see while ice fishing.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:00 PM »
This is becoming more amazing by the day, Osage. LOL

Just curious, have you seen someone with a post-hole digger ?   

Yet ?  Ha.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Today a welders hammer, tomorrow the welder.....  :blink:

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I took my 9 year old nephew today. He walked behind my flip-over and his foot went through a snow covered hole that was probably 14" across. He got back in and with the heater going he didn't complain much. On the way back to the truck he was running ahead of me and fell down without gloves on. Poor fella was crying by the time I got to the truck over his hands freezing. Got them taken care off and started loading my stuff up only to hear him complaining of his foot being numb. Pulled his boot off and his foot was soaked. He's been ice fishing four times and has stepped into a covered huge chopped hole twice. Ticks me off people are that tight they won't spend $50 bucks of so on a freaking auger.

On a plus side he out fished me. He got six trout and a gill. I got two and a gill. I was too busy enjoying reeling mine up when a fish showed on the vex and coach him. He was all smiles by the time I got him home.

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Instead of a bunch of crazy guys sitting out in the wind hoping to catch a fish?  Is one better than the other?  Lol

At least we do "crazy" with "class".
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline Illini Outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Well you see on the southern of the ice fishing states the rednecks down there will get the job done, no matter what it takes.
Were all here cause were not all there.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 AM »
This is becoming more amazing by the day, Osage. LOL

Just curious, have you seen someone with a post-hole digger ?   

Yet ?  Ha.
Haha,not yet ,but would not shock me.A couple years ago I saw an add in a local paper,a man was selling a jiffy ice auger for $40.00,he said his dad bought it new,thinking he could drill post holes with it.When he tried and failed,he hung it in his building and forgot about it.His son found it,and put it up for sale,needless to say,I now own a one time used,jiffy auger hanging in my building.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Well, Osage, that's a close second to a post-hole digger.     Ha.   :thumbsup:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2015, 11:27 AM »
My buddy used his Jiffy to make post holes. He sold it to another buddy who still uses it.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:15 AM »
My friend son asked if he could use his dad's auger and try to drill a hole. He was eight or nine at the time. After a few minutes of sliding it around unsuccessfully, he began to bash the auger on the ice like a spud. It was hilarious. My buddy hollered at him but the damage was done - worthless blades.
The next time out, my buddy used his chainsaw since his auger was tore up. He got completely soaked and had a giant square hole, with the block of ice still floating in it. He tried several times to squeeze his fingers in the cuts and pull out the twenty lb block. After about 5 minutes of me laughing and not helping, I walked over and pushed the block straight down and out of the way.
He had sharpened blades on his auger after that outing.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.