Author Topic: Whats so special about florocarbon?  (Read 775 times)

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whats so special about florocarbon?
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I don't get whats so special about it. I don't like mono to weak. I only use braided leader. Anywhere from 30 to 50 pound braided line.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Re: Whats so special about florocarbon?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:21 PM »
floro is invisible to fish, supposedly

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Doesn't soak up water, low memory and stretch. Invisible. Tough. It's my go to most of the time. I use braid as well. But I still have a flouro leader

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I don't get whats so special about it. I don't like mono to weak. I only use braided leader. Anywhere from 30 to 50 pound braided line.

Here's a bit of education on it.  The more you work that site, the better off you'll be.  Nothin wrong wit smarts.     ;)2
And take note of the difference in leader and line.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/vanish

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/vanish-leader-material

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:43 PM »
man that stuff is spendy

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I now almost run strictly fluoro when it comes to leader material, it is not even a contest in which performs better.  For starters:
- fluoro is less visible in the water column than mono
- fluoro has a harder finish than mono and is more abrasion resistant
- fluoro sinks better/faster than mono b/c fluoro is denser and non-porous
- fluoro doesn't absorb water because it is non-porous unlike like mono which when it absorbs water it looses strength and more so when that absorbed water gets cold and freezes (which never happens when ice-fishing  ;))
- fluoro typically has a smaller diameter than mono of the same # test
- fluoro is more UV and chemical resistant than mono

In my first sentence I said "almost" because the only time I use mono is sometimes when top water fishing on the open water and I need the extra floating ability that mono offers for the action on the lure.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Doesn't soak up water, low memory and stretch. Invisible. Tough. It's my go to most of the time. I use braid as well. But I still have a flouro leader

Flouracarbon has horrible memory!!! I won't use anything but mono or braid in the river

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:56 PM »
Not quality flouro. There's a big difference between brands in quality of flouro. I use fc super sniper on my soft water setup.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I guess if your using 30 to 50 lb leader and braid to boot your fish are not line weary.  When fishing panfish I am  down to 1 and 2 lb line.  Fluorocarbon is ideal and noticeably better than Fluorescents and slightly better than Clear mono. On Walleyes its strictly 6 lb Flouro . And even landed many big Pike on that same 6lb line while jigging Eyes.  As far as Tipups. 25lb 7 strand steel is used.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Nothin'!

Still haven't found anything that's worth more than Berkley Ice or Stren. Bunch of hype!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Flouro can have high memory but you can buy a spray to reduce/eliminate the memory in some of these lines. Better flouro will have less memory but cost more, definitely worth it though.

You have to get the leader material, not the normal line, but you can safely land a pike using 30lb flouro and can still catch finicky fish like trout without switching. I use 6-8lb for trout but I caught a 3lb rainbow on a shiner with 20lb flouro while fishing for bass, I first started using it when ice fishing but now all my softwater rods have flouro leaders tied on them and I have definitely noticed an improvement in both hook ups and break offs.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Ok thanks I might give it a shot but most likely will be sticking with my braided leader.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I'm not criticizing, perhaps I don't understand something.  Why do fishermen feel the need to use 30 or 50 lb test for anything in fresh water?  I never use anything above 10 lb for leader and never more than 15 lb for mainline.  Most of the time I use 6 lb thru the ice, even if fishing for lakers.  Playing the fish is the real "sport" part of fishing (in my mind).  I think the bass pro tourneys have popularized the notion of using cable for line--perhaps if I had all the money on the line that they do, I might do the same, but for recreational fishing I just don't see it.  I can see using heavier line if you're fishing in the weeds, but that's about it.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:02 AM »
I'm not criticizing, perhaps I don't understand something.  Why do fishermen feel the need to use 30 or 50 lb test for anything in fresh water?  I never use anything above 10 lb for leader and never more than 15 lb for mainline.  Most of the time I use 6 lb thru the ice, even if fishing for lakers.  Playing the fish is the real "sport" part of fishing (in my mind).  I think the bass pro tourneys have popularized the notion of using cable for line--perhaps if I had all the money on the line that they do, I might do the same, but for recreational fishing I just don't see it.  I can see using heavier line if you're fishing in the weeds, but that's about it.
They don't make that that small of test line in braided, and you will never have the line break.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:04 AM »
it is not to horse it in it is to stop bite offs.i was reading my latest ice fishing mag and Stange was saying he dropped to 20lb fluoro 3 yrs ago and has probably iced over 100 pike some 18pds.20lb giving the bait more action than 25lb being a lot more supple

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:12 AM »

You must not fish for pike/musky.

Pretty much the only reason you will use heavy flouro, if I am using wire I will use something around 15lb breaking strength because a tooth isn't going to go through wire like it will with flouro.

I put on 20lb for bass because I use very big baits and can come across some big pickerel that would more than likely snap off an 8lb leader resulting in me losing leader length and an expensive treble or quick strike rig. Most people using heavy flouro aren't doing so purely for its breaking strength when under tension, they are up-sizing the poundage to help offset the chances that a tooth is going to cut through thin line.

Also, I wasn't aware you can't play the fish if you are using stronger line. So now you are saying that people who use heavy leaders aren't true fisherman/sportsman? Right...because you can't play a fish with heavy line... ;)

Also...pretty big difference between 30lb leader and 50lb leader. Stay away from the very heavy stuff as it is a lot more stiff and is hard to tie good knots with, plus if you are using live bait it takes away from the natural movement of the fish.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2014, 11:15 AM »
whats so special about it?  the way al linder says it.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]t=1333

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.