Author Topic: First Ice Bluegills  (Read 5414 times)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
First Ice Bluegills
« on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:55 PM »
Well guys, where do you start looking for those early gills? and how about baits larger early and then start to downsize as the gills become less active as the winter goes on.

What are your thoughts. :tipup:
CEO

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: First Ice Bluegills
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 01:39 AM »
In the weedy lakes around here with water milfoil, I'm gonna look for early gills to be in green weeds, the thicker the better, around 4-8 feet, the bigger gills will be in deeper weeds, from 10-12 feet..crappies sometimes mix in too. In smaller ponds, I tend to find bluegills suspended over transition areas.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 01:11 PM »
In lakes, I tend to look for gills in and around fairly thick weed beds in about 6-10 feet of water.  You just have to get right in there to get their attention, then you're golden.

I use pretty small baits all the time in general...I don't know how big you want to try. Remember, Gills have very small mouths.

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:27 PM »
I like to fish standing weed beds in the 8 to 12' range. Deeper if I can find them deeper. Its hard to find them much deeper if you have snow on the ice. I always take 3 or 4 rods with different set-ups, like lure size/color, line test, ect. I know that once early ice is over, I have my best luck fishing in 12-15' on flats closer to deeper water. Most of these fish are 3-4' off bottom.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 04:31 PM »
  Start shallow and move deeper untill you find them.
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:42 PM »
    Look for the "swiss cheese" ice, probably been infiltrated by locals. Otherwise look for the locals. They're the ones that go to a specific spot rather than looking all over the lake and drilling hundreds of holes like I usually have to when no one else is on the ice! Bring an extra soft drink, some jerky or someting to offer for some friendly advice. At the very least you're going to make some really good friends on the ice.
Life don't get any better than that!!!
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 04:48 PM »
I have my best luck in one pond I fish on weedless flats in about 12ft of water.

Ditto. I also know of a nice spot even shallower than that. (6-8 fow) I love sight-fishing!
I haven't hit it yet, but I'll be there Sunday AM while the family is in church.  :angel

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Ditto. I also know of a nice spot even shallower than that. (6-8 fow) I love sight-fishing!
I haven't hit it yet, but I'll be there Sunday AM while the family is in church.  :angel

so you are going to sunday services...at the lake? Is that a Wiccan thing?  :D

I know I pray to that dark 8" hole all the time ;D

hali-man

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:28 PM »
so you are going to sunday services...at the lake? Is that a Wiccan thing?

Yes, sir! My lake is my church!
Amen and hallelujah!

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Its great fun looking down into 4 fow and seeing you jig get TORN up! In the shallower 10-12 feet deep ponds i find alot of gills suspended in 3-4feet but with a depth of 6 or so feet.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:23 PM »
yeah everybody's got it right :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2007, 05:57 AM »
First ice I always hit the shallower areas, sandbars & weed edges of the lake.  Mid and late season, I'll hit the deeper water areas.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2007, 02:31 PM »
I bring a two rod approach to gill fishing, one with micro jigs the second with mid sized spoons,s this allows me to draw fish in with the spoon and then round them up with the micro jig

Offline Drewbonic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:25 AM »
It's hard to do, but find the green weeds. That's where they are.
-Good fishing.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:34 AM »
In Michigan, SE particularly, I target First ice gills in three locations: 1. 3-6" of water in green weeds, 2. 13-17' FOW   3. 30' FOW.

Sounds confusing I know. But it depends upon the body of water. Literally in the same weekend only a mile apart I may fish from 3-30 foot and limit out at each lake at a different depth.

My norm is the shallower flats with cabbage weeds, but again, do not overlook deeper weeds, or Bull Gills on bottom in 30' of water. The shallower gills in many lakes are easier pickin and much more fast and furious. Just depends upon the lakes characteristics.

JMO - RL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.