Author Topic: Sturgeon  (Read 1337 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Sturgeon
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:32 PM »
Has anybody ever caught a stugeon before? They are really strange looking, and also pretty rare. Has anyone ever caught one through the ice? That sure would be something to see a face like this popping through the hole http://www.lafferty.ca/photos/Montreal/Montreal_Biodome_2001/sturgeon.jpg]

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:55 PM »
Never thru the ice but here is one I caught down south a few years back...6ft 5 inches and fought like it too..

There is some hanging around where my cabin is. The fisheries had tagged 14 of them in 11 days rangeing from 4.5 ft up to a hair under 10ft. I want to tackle one under the ice. Thats why I use 30lb fireline when fishing for lakers. You never know. Can't keep them though but would be fun to tackle :flex:

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:58 PM »
Not me but rather a fishing buddy of mine... he caught 3 in one morning outta the same hole fishing the Ottawa River.  All returned safely as they were out of season (would have been returned regardless I guess!)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Wow, i that one is looooooong, and i would have never thought they could be caught through the ice, that must have been one lucky hole ;)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:13 PM »
A chapter in Tom Gruenwald's 'hooked on ice fishing 2' deals specifically with spearing sturgeon...lake sturgeon in Wisconsin to be exact.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.