Author Topic: Tried the "Cheap Dollar Store" home made lure Tuesday  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I tried the cheap dollar store home made lure Tuesday in a pond behind the house. I had bought a yellow (Chart) a orange and a green one total 6 dollars. trimmed some off put them on trout magnet jigs. Went down to the pond. No ice but it was about 38 degrees. In about 2 hours I cought over 50 gills. Once I found the little buggers it was one right after another. Best was 12 straight cast 12 gills some real slabs. I realest them all back to the water. They really liked the orange. They liked it with or without a crappie nibble on it.

That night we had a real hard rain and a cold front move in. I though hmm. I might go down and catch a mess to eat!! Nope fished for an hour and caught 2! lol the temp dropped 20 degrees and the pond rose about 8 inces over night nothing doing. Should have kept some the night before. I think the moved deeper and was suspended. But the cheap lure does work... At least when the are hitting. I even tried tiny glow jigs the next day no luck. But I could not find them and I had to go....
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tried the "Cheap Dollar Store" home made lure Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:08 AM »
awesome! those porcupine balls really do work! i love em and wished i had found them earlier
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Dang! Sounds like that works pretty good. I may have to get me some of those porcupine balls and get chopping!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Good job, Art!!! Sounds like it was a great time!! Took me a while and some reading to realize what guys meant by "porcupine balls", though.  :pinch: :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2012, 11:55 AM »
They catch crappies, too. I used them with my ice fishing gear from my canoe. Caught & released 50 or so. I don't remove them until I need to. I just carry the balls with me in my rod bag. They pluck easily by grabbing them at the base and snapping them off quickly. I have pink, yellow, green and blue. Last year I saw a glow one at Walmart. I kick myself EVERY time I use them for not snapping it up. Watch for it! It should be a dynamite lure. Creamy white like a waxworm and charges up to glow. I'm still on the lookout. I'm thinking of adding dots down each side with a fine tip Sharpie to further mimic a grub worm. Saw it on someone's ice fly on here.

Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Store clerks nation wide are gonna be scratching their heads wondering why all these grown men are pulling these off the shelves.  Pretty soon these companies are gonna catch on and they will get moved to the 2 dollar bin.  Wishing I would've kept some of my old Koosh Balls.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline rlbthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:17 PM »
What are porcupine balls, I assume they don't come from casterated porcupines.  What exactly are you making?  I'd like to give it a try.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 12:22 PM »
What are porcupine balls, I assume they don't come from casterated porcupines.  What exactly are you making?  I'd like to give it a try.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=230752.msg2333797#msg2333797

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:49 PM »
I see, I read that post before, gonna have to try!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:18 PM »
Good job, Art!!! Sounds like it was a great time!! Took me a while and some reading to realize what guys meant by "porcupine balls", though.  :pinch: :woot:
Hey reb,it may have taken you awhile to figure out the right ones,but I betcha it wouldn't take you long to figure out if you got the wrong ones....... :woot:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:21 PM »
Hey reb,it may have taken you awhile to figure out the right ones,but I betcha it wouldn't take you long to figure out if you got the wrong ones....... :woot:

If ya see me looking like a cactus, ya know I made a boo-boo.   :pinch: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Yea well how to you think that poor porky-pine is going to feel??? :woot:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2012, 04:41 PM »

Yea well how to you think that poor porky-pine is going to feel??? :woot:

Well, I'll bet his name will no longer be "Lucky".  ;D

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2012, 10:43 PM »
stocked up on these today at a local dollar tree. was able to get 6 different colors. gonna mix them with some plastic i all ready have to get some scent on em. all i need now is some ice..

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:04 AM »
Gills arent particularly hard to catch in our area. In fact they eat pretty much anything you drop in front of them, including a bare hook lol.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline byron basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:17 AM »
Stopped at the local dollar and they did not have any. The cats toys all have short harder hairs so I guess her toys are safe, for now.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Oh when the bite slowed down some I did add a crappie nibble to them and that seemed to help. I guess it adds some sent to them as they seem to stink pretty good. I have wondered if soaking them in cod liver oil would help some or rubbing some thick cream on them of some kind. I have seem people use prep H before it has shark oil in it. Yep no joke and it works too. LOL I just hope it won't shrink thier mouths up if you miss them!! Maybe add some cod liver oil to the pre H to make  it more stinky?  ;D ;D

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2012, 03:52 PM »
I picked up a color I didn't have today at Walmart. Fluorescent Orange. It's a VERY large ball called a Massive Googly Ball. It cost me $5, though. Cheap for hundreds of tails.
I'm keeping an eye out for the glow one I saw last year.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2012, 04:33 AM »
You guys still been pulling out all the fish with these? I'm gonna try some this week to see what I can get.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I got 3 at the dollar store here they are called wacky worms. 5 inch long body with googly eyes on one end and hundreds of 1 1/4 inch tentacles about 3/32 diameter. STRETCH!!!! wow they elongate to about 4 inches.  Gotta try em at a local crappie hole. We got no ice yet.

Offline FrostyShavings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2012, 09:39 PM »
wow...what a great idea! ill have to try this...whoever was the first to come up with this idea...thank you for sharing.  :thumbsup:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Soaked mine in popped Omega 3 capsules, they have a fish aroma, added a little anise extract too. Waiting for ice

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:14 PM »
wow...what a great idea! ill have to try this...whoever was the first to come up with this idea...thank you for sharing.  :thumbsup:
back when the grandson was a toddler he had a dozen or so of these things. i thought to myself.... these might make good ice fishin' bait. they went the way of most cheap toys. he turns 15 next week. i haven't seen one for probably 10 years. if i find any, the 12 grankids i have now will get lots of porkpine balls for Christmas ;D

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:24 PM »
That ball would be a good way for ice plastics manufacturers to distribute their tiny worms instead of in bags or jars.
jbird68

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:28 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.