Author Topic: Vexillar Fl-8 dave genz pack--or--the humminbird ice 35 flasher?  (Read 10273 times)

#1perchguy

I am looking into buying my first flasher. i have used the showdown ice fishing sonar before, and i found it very easy 2 use! but i really want a dave genz vexillar, or the humminbird. Please give me any tips or preferances on what everyone thinks is best! thanks you.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Bigger screen, more power and a dual beam transducer.. its a no brainer man.

Bird.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
If you get a vex I would go with the pro pack instead of the Genz pack. I have the pro pack and my cousin has the genz pack he wishes he got the pro pack. It is easier to charge the battery (just plug into one port instead of to the battery so no disconnecting wires) and it fits easier in a 5 gal bucket and also has a ice spot to store a small tackle box which also come with it. I do see that the new ones come with a battery status indicator which i don't have or do I see as a necessity. If you have the money to spend I would recommend the FL-20 or the FL-12 for the flat screen. I hate it when snow gets in there

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would go to sportsman guide and buy the VX-1 pro by marcum and save 75-100 bucks and still have as good if not better flasher.  ;D
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got the 35 and beetween my buddy's I have uses vexs Marcums and I think a lowrnace and ill take my 35 over any of them simple to use simple to read and set up and change I move alot so that helps but no Matter what u go with it will be better than nothing but if I had to choose beetween the two I would take the bird every time

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Between the two your asking about I would definitely take the bird. Way more features, the fl8 doesn't even have zoom. That being said, id go with a vx1 pro over the bird and vex.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the fl8 can none compare feature-wise to the 35.   35 has dual beam and zoom.  fl8 has none of that. 

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just sold my Fl-8 that I have had for 8 years for a Hum Bird 35. One thing you have to give vexilar credit for, it's one of the most dependable units out there. Although in comparison, I decided to go with the Ice 35 this year over my very reliable Fl-8 because I REALLY liked the larger and easier to see flat screen flasher and because it has the dual been option. Really though, I would be happy to have about any flasher out on the market out there on the ice with me. They all get the job done.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok did a little research for you here you go........

Sportman guide

Bird 35 Price 296.99
800 watts
3 colors
dual beam 9 and 19 degree cone
2.5 target seperation

Marcum VX-1 Pro 224.99
1,000 watts
Bottom Zoom
6 levels of interferince rejection
3 colors
2.5 target seperation
19 degree cone

Vex Fl-8  341.99
400 watts
3 colors
2.65 seperation
19 degree cone

So for 72 dollars more you get dual beam with the bird and a little less power and for @120 more you get less power no zoom and more target seperation with the vex and no dual beam. Seems like you pay 120 more and get alot less features with Vex...over Marcum and @ 50 more than bird and get less......Hmm??? New to this sport but I say ???????????

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
your price for the vex is wrong..... $269.99

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Ok did a little research for you here you go........

Sportman guide

Bird 35 Price 296.99
800 watts
3 colors
dual beam 9 and 19 degree cone
2.5 target seperation

Marcum VX-1 Pro 224.99
1,000 watts
Bottom Zoom
6 levels of interferince rejection
3 colors
2.5 target seperation
19 degree cone

Vex Fl-8  341.99
400 watts
3 colors
2.65 seperation
19 degree cone

So for 72 dollars more you get dual beam with the bird and a little less power and for @120 more you get less power no zoom and more target seperation with the vex and no dual beam. Seems like you pay 120 more and get alot less features with Vex...over Marcum and @ 50 more than bird and get less......Hmm??? New to this sport but I say ???????????

Bingo... You add it all up and the decision makes its self.

You forgot to add that the FL-8 is miserable in shallow or weedy water so a $30 S-Cable needs to be used.

I spent plenty of time staring at an FL-8... They would be my last choice of all flashers on the market. They are to expensive and under perform compared to all other entry level units. 

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
vex baby the industry  innovators. have had my 18 four 6 years no problems but then again something is better than no thing
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
loudmouth

The FL-8seŽ Pro Pack with 19° Ice - Ducer from VexilarŽBuyer's Club
$341.99
Non-Member $379.99
this is what I used it was the only one I saw they had. I just tried to use the same place. Still the Vex is more expensive and gives you less options and less power for more money no matter how you slice it.

Swiss Cheese I am new to ice fishing but I can bet in 18 years technology has come a long way. I don't want to pay more for 18 year old technology. Like a cell phone that is a foot long and a 8 inch anteye on it and it gets no reception. LOL oh and they want 100 more dollars for it too! just joking.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
power? sounds like a battery drain. how much power do you need. maybe all that transducer noise catches you more fish not here

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Another vote for the VX-1, Vex would also be my last choice...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The FL-8seŽ Pro Pack with 19° Ice - Ducer from VexilarŽBuyer's Club
$341.99
Non-Member $379.99
this is what I used it was the only one I saw they had. I just tried to use the same place. Still the Vex is more expensive and gives you less options and less power for more money no matter how you slice it.

Just check and wow that is a ridiculous amount they are charging.... it's not even that price on the vexilar website... I hope you do not buy products from them seem's like they are ripping their customers off. Anyway the vexilar website has it listed as a suggested msrp of 309. However, most stores around in the 260-270 range. You still can't beat the reliability of the vex.

As for power more power isn't always good....
http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/620320/fpart/1/flashers-vexilar-vs-marcum
although this can be argued that it was the fisherman

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
vexilar hands down you'll never regret buying it.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
i agree loudmouth it doesn't seem to me that more power is beneficial i mean how many people fish in a depth over 60 feet. the more power the more noise. I've been wrong before. i think its all a sales pitch.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the only thing that would make me go to marcum is the adjustable zoom other than that I'll stick with my vex

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i agree loudmouth it doesn't seem to me that more power is beneficial i mean how many people fish in a depth over 60 feet. the more power the more noise. I've been wrong before. i think its all a sales pitch.

I do know my LX-5 works better in shallow weeds than my FL-18's and 8's ever did.....one of the reasons I switched and no urge to go back...

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I fish in depth over 60 ft.  I use an ice-55.  Honestly, whatever you can afford is the best flasher to buy.  Each unit has its own pros and cons, it just depends on your tolerance level.  The flat screens on the H-bird are a great feature, and after using one of them for several years, I can hardly look at the screens on a vex or marcun.  I vote H-Bird.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Another vote for the ice35. Nice unit for the price

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
esox magnum you shouldn't even need one one that reads that shallow where you fish lol

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
i wouldn't need a finder that reads that shallow where you fish. blondes brunettes redheads its all about your own preference lmao

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
If you are gonna compare apples to apples, you need to compare the Ice 35 and VX-1 to the FL-18. No one that I know of even makes a flasher without zoom, so there is nothing else to compare the FL-8 with

The sales pitch is trying to sell old technology with wives tales about scary noises and battery drain... If you really fish with them, and ignore all the marketing, snake oil, brand loyalty, and the pro staff goof balls, you will spend your money with Marcum, H-bird, or Lowrance. They just work better, all of them.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Theres times we cant sight fish and need the flasher...while my 5 is sweet my LX-7 is truley amazing....

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
Between the two choices it would be a Ice 35 without hesitation.  If you do go with the Vex, go with the Genz pack.  I have a FL8 with the Pro Pac and it is a gimicky waste of money.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
very true magnum i just know when its clean it like your cheating  as far as the fl8 its the bottom of the barrel for vexilar and i wouldn't buy a unit without zoom so i understand the argument

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just think with all the electronics in the lx-7 as well theres a lot more that can fail

can't forget the old saying KISS

but like what was said before it's all about preference

not saying that I'm loyal to vex but at the time when i got mine hummingbird wasn't even known for flashers and for the price i got mine for it was a lot cheaper then marcum

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
marcum and catch them.plus u can scramble signal to the other guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.