Author Topic: Anyone sleep in their flip over?  (Read 11346 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Anyone sleep in their flip over?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:59 AM »
Great Pics. Ive got a Yukon, and I dont believe that my seats come out so easily.  Next years mod I guess. Ive not done a night on the ice yet, so I'll try it this year to see how I like it,,,,,but with that set up, who needs a hotel!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:26 AM »
just to add i love how you used the foam for a floor :thumbsup:.as for sleeping on the ice,I would rather sleep in the car or truck ;).

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:37 AM »
If you want to do a camping thing just bring a tent and a cott. A bad night sleep will ruin the whole next day.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:20 PM »
But we can catch fish all night long. That is why we are out there. When you have had enough, just get the bed ready and turn in... ;)    :tipup:

WyoIce
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:55 PM »
But we can catch fish all night long. That is why we are out there. When you have had enough, just get the bed ready and turn in... ;)    :tipup:

WyoIce
After you set up the rattle reel. ;)

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:31 PM »
prob. do-able but why ?? can't fish 24 hrs a day. get the motel room and be comfortable. jusy my opinion.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 AM »
 I guess because it's what I love to do. That's why I do it. I also love to hunt elk. I don't get a motel though, I pack into the mountains and sleep there.
 I think that what I am trying to say is, " To Each Their Own".  After all, what is the subject of this post ?    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline smbrickner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I have a 3 person Fishtrap, never thought about sleeping in it.  Just think it would be too uncomfortable.
If you want a country run by religion....Move to Iran.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:57 AM »
I have a 3 person Fishtrap, never thought about sleeping in it.  Just think it would be too uncomfortable.
prob. do-able but why ?? can't fish 24 hrs a day. get the motel room and be comfortable. jusy my opinion.
Comfort is different than actually staying out there. If you haven't done it, that's fine, but the experience is more important than fishing. I have spent 29 straight hours on the ice without heading back to shore. Was I comfortable? I'm still alive, and allot wiser now. I learned fast that comfort is lacking compared to a warm bed or soft couch. But with proper preparation, its very do able. I can tell you when you put the hours in on the ice it pays off. I found at what times the fish passed by my spot. So I knew what time to show up to catch some fish there. I also knew what time not to fish there. It saved me so much time the rest of the season knowing I had time to take a nap after work and then go to the lake and put in quality time on the fish. Most of the guys were walking off the lake just as I was going on. Funny stuff if they only knew the size fish I was into.
So if anyone does decide to spend the night. Take notes on the times fish go by and the types of fish caught. And enjoy the sunset and sunrise along with the most quiet time of your life.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I've had a few over nighters in a hard side, and most of them were not too quiet.  The expanding ice is offers a unique yet comforting sound.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:45 PM »
The reason I asked was its a long pull by hand and up a very steep bank to get back to the truck and back again in the morning. I wondered why? I have each hoop with a strip of LED lights so I wont have a problem seeing. We can stay and catch  some more crappies (got a lot of them durning the day). Crash in the tub. Wake up and fish all day again. Last year we stayed in a motel, $100.00 a nite. That will buy a lot of lures ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:15 AM »
The reason I asked was its a long pull by hand and up a very steep bank to get back to the truck and back again in the morning. I wondered why? I have each hoop with a strip of LED lights so I wont have a problem seeing. We can stay and catch  some more crappies (got a lot of them durning the day). Crash in the tub. Wake up and fish all day again. Last year we stayed in a motel, $100.00 a nite. That will buy a lot of lures ;D
You get so much for the $100.00 unless you just want to stay out there on the ice. You will always have work even if you stay out overnight. You will burn calories at a faster rate so be prepared to take ( pull ) more stuff to stay out longer. With a room you get to warm up, stretch out in warm bed, use bathroom without being cold. Going to sit down restaurant so you can plan on taking less items for cooking yourself. Electric to charge things back up, so many nice things about a room. If you get a room for two days you can leave things at the room without worrying about the freezing in your vehicle. If you want a better price on the room call a week or two ahead and ask for prices. If it is a bad season for snowmobiles the motels will try anything to fill a room. So many more reasons for having a room.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:19 AM »
You get so much for the $100.00 unless you just want to stay out there on the ice. You will always have work even if you stay out overnight. You will burn calories at a faster rate so be prepared to take ( pull ) more stuff to stay out longer. With a room you get to warm up, stretch out in warm bed, use bathroom without being cold. Going to sit down restaurant so you can plan on taking less items for cooking yourself. Electric to charge things back up, so many nice things about a room. If you get a room for two days you can leave things at the room without worrying about the freezing in your vehicle. If you want a better price on the room call a week or two ahead and ask for prices. If it is a bad season for snowmobiles the motels will try anything to fill a room. So many more reasons for having a room.

Your idea is more what I'll be doing, but a nap on the ice during the lull or when age keeps up with me seems nice too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2012, 04:25 AM »
Sure a room is nice and as for the money I will make more,  its some thing I never did and would like to try.  Fish all nite or till I cant stay awake anymore. Got my hut out yesterday and played with it in the garage. I don't see any way of laying down in it. I would have to sleep sitting up. That's no good. Thinking about maybe a large hub style shanty to crash in. I could bring some cots to lay on. It would be used to store stuff that we don't want left outside also. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Take the oversize lawn chair from the RV store and it will do what you want.

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:16 AM »
Definitely doable..it has already been suggested, but you will want to have a cot and a good sleeping bag for sure. I recently bought the Cabelas Lounger Cot and let me just say..."Oh my God is it ever comfortable !!" With that cot and a 0 degree bag, I would have no trouble sleeping in a flip over for the night. Just make sure you anchor it down good, and if you have snow, pack it around the bottom to keep drafts from coming up from the bottome. As long as you vent the top a bit, you will be good to go. All that said....who are you kidding ?? You'll be up fishing all night anyways !!  ;)
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:50 AM »

It's a great question and you have gotten a lot of good info so all I will be doing is sharing my experience.  I found a patch of hardened snow and set up the tents on it.  I posted pictures earlier.  I tend to be a warm sleeper and so I had no problems with the cold and neither did my three kids all under 12 yrs old.  I have also run a buddy heater inside of a small RV that had no furnace all night on high just to keep us warm while hunting.  The small ammount of venting in the RV was just fine so if you open a vent in your flip over you should be fine as well.  Throwing in the CO2 detector is good insurance.  Have fun!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Everyone talks about the 02 but watch out if its really cold out side that your flip over doesn't completely freeze to the ice. If you set your house up and it gets worm in there is creates water and water will freezes the fabric to the ice and then come morning if you want to move.  It can be a painfull getting it unstuck from the ice. Or like I have done a few times is rip the flaps trying to get it unstuck. Then you got a tear that you have to fix. Painfull. After that sleeping in them is not hard just get comfy and snooze.
No one left behind.     

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Everyone talks about the 02 but watch out if its really cold out side that your flip over doesn't completely freeze to the ice. If you set your house up and it gets worm in there is creates water and water will freezes the fabric to the ice and then come morning if you want to move.  It can be a painfull getting it unstuck from the ice. Or like I have done a few times is rip the flaps trying to get it unstuck. Then you got a tear that you have to fix. Painfull. After that sleeping in them is not hard just get comfy and snooze.
Good point! Keep your spud inside! Or randomly open the front to refresh the air and make sure its not stuck.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:10 PM »
I have spent many a night outside in the winter, but not on the ice. I used to be addicted to winter camping and we didn't carry a heater. Coldest night out was in the Adirondacks, MT Marcy in February. -24F inside the tent. That is 56 degrees below the freezing point and I was comfortable. There are a few easy tricks to keep comfortable that take experience to learn. A sampling:
Use an air mattress. Not closed cell foam, not a pile of blankets... air provides a terrific thermal break from the ground and will keep you warmer. I would recommend an air mattress right on the ground over a cot for sure. 
2. Before you go to bed at night, like right before, change all your clothes, especially your socks. You may not realize how much moisture is in your clothes because you will feel warm from keeping active. Whatever you are sleeping in, make sure you don't wear it during the day.
3. Last tip, and it's a big one that seems to go against logic (unless you are a physicist) do not wear too many clothes to bed! When I was teaching outdoor survival years ago, we urged people to sleep in their sleeping bag with no clothes at all (or just underwear). There are two reasons for this... first, all insulation that is in your sleeping bag is based on trapped air. When you pack a bunch of clothes in that sleeping bag it takes up valuable air space that should function as insulation. Second, you would not believe how much you sweat during sleep, even in subzero temps. If you wake up in the middle of the night with sweat soaked thermal underwear, you could be in trouble quicker than you think.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:55 PM »
Your idea is more what I'll be doing, but a nap on the ice during the lull or when age keeps up with me seems nice too.

Heck, I don't have any problem stretching out in my Yukon and taking a nap.  Since hitting my 60's, sometiimes its all I can do to stay awake. ;D

Hey Michianafisherman...ti s Dennis at this end....you sent me the poster from the smelt outing on Higgins a couple of years ago...remember?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 10, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Heck, I don't have any problem stretching out in my Yukon and taking a nap.  Since hitting my 60's, sometiimes its all I can do to stay awake. ;D

Hey Michianafisherman...ti s Dennis at this end....you sent me the poster from the smelt outing on Higgins a couple of years ago...remember?
How could I forget a friend! Hows it going? Hope you are well!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.