Author Topic: Lets talk dead bait !  (Read 28725 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lets talk dead bait !
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:07 PM »
So it's not like you walk in to the bait shop and say I want dead bait.

What do you guys do and what are some does and don't's.

I will buy live bait and then smack thm in the head and throw them down the hole.  I thought about keeping small perch and freezing them and then when I go the next time I could use them, I would defreeze them before I went .

Any thoughts ??

Offline Keweenaw Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lets talk dead bait !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:53 PM »
If you ask for some frozen smelt they just might hand you some. I've only done this with smelt, in less than 20 fow. Throw the smelt on a hook of your choice(by the dorsal fin) and let it sink to the bottom. Yes, I said bottom. Set your trap and wait 15-20 minutes. Give them time to sniff it out. Check it by pulling it up four or five feet, if it is still on there you will know, then let it sit again. Don't go to far after you check it because they usually hammer it as it falls back to the bottom.

Offline serchn4monsterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:03 PM »
smelt and anchovies a ft off bottom does the trick for me.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:33 PM »
IMO dead FRESH bait is the best, in a pinch a week old frozen perch will work, but the fresher the better

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:32 AM »
IMO dead FRESH bait is the best, in a pinch a week old frozen perch will work, but the fresher the better

Thought about buying live bait smacking it in the head with a shovel J/K  giving it a tap on the head to kill it put the hook near the dorsal and drop down the hole.
What do you think ??

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Fishing with dead bait is a science...
Depends on what you are fishing for. Some fish won't even eat a dead bait.
Myself, I like to use big dead Golden Pond Shiners just off the bottom. Hook the bait so it hangs flat. If it's not hanging flat you might as well not be fishing.
I have used smaller dead bait at times also. Just depends on what you are fishing for and how small the bait is. Brown Trout don't like dead bait but Lake Trout will eat it.
Pike will eat anything...You just need to know where to fish for them...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:59 PM »
if there not hanging flat stick a good sized finished nail up the goldies a$$ works every time :tipup:
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:47 AM »
Fishing with dead bait is a science...
Depends on what you are fishing for. Some fish won't even eat a dead bait.
Myself, I like to use big dead Golden Pond Shiners just off the bottom. Hook the bait so it hangs flat. If it's not hanging flat you might as well not be fishing.
I have used smaller dead bait at times also. Just depends on what you are fishing for and how small the bait is. Brown Trout don't like dead bait but Lake Trout will eat it.
Pike will eat anything...You just need to know where to fish for them...
how do you hook them to get them to lay flat??

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:09 AM »
We poke the eyes out and cut the tails off of suckers, hook through the dorsal and lower down the old hole! Basicly living dead bait. Pike love um, especialy late season.  ;)
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:52 PM »
pop there air bladder is another way
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I use smelt from the fish market. They come whole frozen and priced per pound. The individual fish are about 8"-9" long.
I hook them with a quick strike rig and "pop" the air bladder and send them down the hole. I hang them about a foot off bottom. My experience has been that pike don't worry about a little "head down tilt".  At time I'll lay the smelt on the bottom particularly in late winter.

good luck
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline stephensonswille

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:13 AM »
When you go and get smelt ask for jumbos. they're 9 inches+. I work at a fish freezer and on the boats theres usually a few stuck away somewhere ::) if they are freezer burnt they still work great. also tell the people at the freezer that your going to use them for fishing they will probably give you the older ones and charge you less

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 02:44 PM »
 Must be nice to know where to get big smelt... I've ordered mine from superior fish for the last few years. I usually order 10lbs and I'm lucky if I get 1/2 lb of 6"+ fish...

Them little ones are hard to get on a swedish hook....

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:44 PM »
In a tight spot you can use 2 or three dead heavy mediums on one hook. got many pike like this

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »
i have a big ziplock bag full of dead shiners from 6 to 12 inchs, some as old as a month. as long as you keep them somewhat frozen the fish dont care. i like to try to keep my bait smelling nice and dead
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2010, 03:58 PM »
       herring
       large goldens
       sardines
       trout
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Dead smelt the older the better.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:26 AM »
How do you pop the air bladder?  Where is it located? 

I have to admit I have not been a proponent of dead bait, but my fishing buddies tell me DBD is a living legend so I am going to have to start being more open minded.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2011, 05:18 PM »
How do you pop the air bladder?  Where is it located? 

I have to admit I have not been a proponent of dead bait, but my fishing buddies tell me DBD is a living legend so I am going to have to start being more open minded.

Step on it lightly, it pops.....

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2011, 05:20 PM »
Ive been using some dead bait and have been hooking behind the fin and it hangs slightly down.  Where are you hooking bait so that its lying flat????   Right on Bottom?

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Dont worry about it hanging flat. This season I switched to hanging them nose down based on a tip from a pike fishing friend, and the results were awesome. Maybe a coincidence, but enough of one to make me a believer.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Dont worry about it hanging flat. This season I switched to hanging them nose down based on a tip from a pike fishing friend, and the results were awesome. Maybe a coincidence, but enough of one to make me a believer.

I heard....nice fish

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:58 PM »

I heard....nice fish

Thanks. Caught a bunch more on the nose-down presentation this winter as well, a handfull of 8 to 12 range fish and one other big one at 19 lbs, that one was in CT though.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2011, 05:19 PM »
I have used dead bait the last 4 times out. Today was my last time ever using dead bait. It just does not work for me. Every big fish I have caught was on a half dead or live shinner.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2011, 08:50 PM »
timeing and location have a lot to do with catching giant pike on both live and dead bait and takes a lot of time too figure it out! good luck!

dbd  :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I hope to someday figure out the dead bait. But for now I give up. I'm gonna stick to what I know. Dbd you have caught some huge fish with your method. I only have one over 20lbs and am always looking for new ways to break the state record. Thanks 

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:06 PM »
I personally love using dead bait. I have noticed here that I HAVE to make sure the bait is perfectly horizontal or I won't get a bite. If it doesnt hang right stuff a split shot up its butt. I also use 20 lbs flouro instead of wire bc I get more flags and catch more fish due to the theory that they can see the hardware. Taggin out - I would try down sizing your hardware and try it this summer under a slip bobber while you're out on a boat. Hope this helps.

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:46 PM »
timeing and location have a lot to do with catching giant pike on both live and dead bait and takes a lot of time too figure it out! good luck!

dbd  :tipup:

DBD   Late in the year vs early in the year?

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I switch from 50lb flouro to wire. It all depends of the lake. I have no problem getting flags early in the year and mid winter. I guess I just suck at finding spawning grounds late ice!

Offline Dsouth883

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:07 AM »

Sounds like a good friend. ;D
I fish dead bait 95% of the time, BIG fallfish (dace),herring,big goldens + big suckers are all great baits dead for Northerns, the key for me is finding what bait works best in the waters your fishing.
It's all about time OTW  :tipup: and experimenting till you find what bait works best on the lake your fishing. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.