Author Topic: Building your own wooden sled  (Read 3566 times)

Offline 100% Waterproof

• IceShanty Rookie
Building your own wooden sled
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:01 PM »
Hey everybody

As we are all patiently waiting for that 3 or so inches of ice to form on our favorite bodies of water, most of us find ourselves trying to either prepare old equipment or purchase it new, and maybe handcraft something to make the hobby more enjoyable and get our minds off the waiting time meanwhile.

I am not in a different position and hence the sled topic. My goal is to use wood scraps from a small private sawmill along with saplings available from a nearby forest to fashion a wooden sled for hauling equipment on the ice. I have looked online quite briefly and found this interesting source: http://www.inquiry.net/OUTDOOR/winter/gear/sleds/gummer.htm. Here, a "Gummer" sled is introduced. Apparently, "it is called a gummer because it is somewhat similar to the ones used by the men known as gummers who live in the forests and make their living by collecting spruce gum for children and "sales- ladies" to chew."

The sled looks quite practical for the intended use and is said to only require an axe and some saplings to fashion. I don't however want to limit myself to only this design, so here is your chance to participate and show what wooden sled you fashioned, or know how to fashion, or have seen, or know exists.

Paste away the pictures and feel free to comment!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Building your own wooden sled
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Made this before last season from a pair of skis, 1 sheet of 1/2" ply, and some blocks.

Offline 100% Waterproof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Looks pretty sweet. I like the idea of using black paint on it so it stands out in the snow more. Nice lettering too. Although the "gummer" sled might even be easier to make, making one like yours that's sort of shaped like a tub with perhaps a lid of sorts would probably be more convenient. A sled like yours with a cover has advantages like allowing you to sit on it when it's closed, keeping stuff from flying out at high winds by closing it, keeping fish safe from ROUS (rodents of unusual size), and preventing the need for using bungee cords for securing things to the sled because you can just put everything in it and put the cover on.

Nice.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:26 PM »
thats how mine started then covered it short of enough in the rear to build up for a seat that was big enough to hold my flasher on one side and lures and gear on the other. The front portion was open a bit with the main portion having a hinge lid.  This under compartment was long enough for tipups and odd stuff.  rod holders were screwed on the back made out of pvc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.