Author Topic: Coleman lantern is excellent heater for Scout  (Read 5968 times)

P Gottshall

Coleman lantern is excellent heater for Scout
« on: Dec 28, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Lots of threads on heaters, I know.  I had a good experience here, & wanted to throw in my 2cents worth.

Yesterday I bought a $19 Coleman propane lantern at WalMart.  I puts out an amazing amount of heat & light.  Plus it's a lot less awkward than my heater.  I think it will be my standard heater for my Scout until temps get near zero.

My buddy has one, & sayed he gets two evenings out of a 1lb bottle.

Paul

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
Re: Coleman lantern is excellent heater for Scout
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Agreed.  On those 20 degree days I heat my Trap Pro with a Coleman gas lantern.  When it gets around 0 I put the buddy heater in the sled behind me and the lantern in front of me. 
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

billybono

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 03:40 PM »
ill agree also. i had a 3000BTU Coleman black cat heater and I'm convinced that my double lantern Coleman puts out more heat!!!! high temp was 0 here yesterday and it heated my s3000 great, until you open the door of course

billybono

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I was in my scout for 6.5 hours last Friday... High for the day was 1 above F and i was just fine in there with my duel mantle coleman propane lantern.  I bought the electric start one... no messing with matches and lighters.  Will burn for about 10 to 12 hours.
Oh yes...... Keep extra mantles with you.... I was glad as heck I did cause i broke one!

Offline Sax_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:05 PM »
nice post i was wondering about that same thing a few days ago i guess im headed to walmart
thanx  ;D ;D ;D
Sax

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:30 PM »
my old coleman white gas lantern also puts out a LOT of heat, definetly enough for my fish trap pro, the fumes get a bit at times though - always gotta leave the vents open

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:42 PM »
Wouldn't the light kind of interfere with fishing?
I just got a used scout this year and don't even have a heater yet. I do have a lantern for camping... I think the darkness inside has helped me catch more fish. JMO

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 10:05 PM »
i only use my lantern at night...i use my mr. heater buddy heater for heating duties during the day.

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:08 AM »
I just got a used scout this year and don't even have a heater yet. I do have a lantern for camping... I think the darkness inside has helped me catch more fish. JMO

Hali... I dont think the light it affects the fish too much.... I use my lantern for heat during the day when i need it and it hasnt hampered the sight fishing at all.  I can still see very well even with it cranked all the way up.  Most days I dont need the heat at all either. 

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:08 AM »

Hali... I dont think the light it affects the fish too much.... I use my lantern for heat during the day when i need it and it hasnt hampered the sight fishing at all.  I can still see very well even with it cranked all the way up.  Most days I dont need the heat at all either.  

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:08 AM »

Hali... I dont think the light it affects the fish too much.... I use my lantern for heat during the day when i need it and it hasnt hampered the sight fishing at all.  I can still see very well even with it cranked all the way up.  Most days I dont need the heat at all either.  

hali-man

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:53 PM »

Get a little happy with the post click, Slippery?  ;D
While sight fishing I prefer darkness, that's all.

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:32 PM »

Sorry about the multiple posts! :-\    Must have been jigging with my mouse finger!!!!
Anyways........ the trap makes it dark so you can sight fish.  I love mine, Ill bet you love yours too .  There is no doubt in my mind ever, that i catch more fish in my trap than sitting out on a bucket.
Talk me into trying Silver sometime.... I drive right past Mac's on my way to Honeoye.

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:38 PM »

OOPs!  Did it again!  Felt like a big gill though!   
Tight lines  8)

Sorry about the multiple posts! :-\    Must have been jigging with my mouse finger!!!!
Anyways........ the trap makes it dark so you can sight fish.  I love mine, Ill bet you love yours too .  There is no doubt in my mind ever, that i catch more fish in my trap than sitting out on a bucket.
Talk me into trying Silver sometime.... I drive right past Mac's on my way to Honeoye.

hali-man

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Talk me into trying Silver sometime....

Anytime! I'll do my best to put you on the fish.
Some days it's easy, others are impossible.
 ;)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2005, 04:29 AM »
Just used my trap and used the Coleman double mantel gas lantern. Heats great but I can't deal with the fumes even with the vents open. I think working around chemicals have given me a sensitivity to all fumes. I will switch to propane and like the idea of elec. start !!! Where is the best place to purchase a 5 lb tank ?

bigdave1018

« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2005, 06:51 AM »
jm, try using a 3 wick candle set in a large tin can. no fumes, less cost to use, they even come scented. and yes they throw off lottsa light and heat and you are alot less likely not to get burned. tight lines, jm, stay warm hope this helps,big dave out

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Just used my trap and used the Coleman double mantel gas lantern. Heats great but I can't deal with the fumes even with the vents open. I think working around chemicals have given me a sensitivity to all fumes.

i think its just that the white gas fumes are pretty much overwhelming :sick:

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2005, 12:22 AM »
Last season, I read where you caould put a coffee can over a coleman lantern to make it give more heat.  Upon seeing this I remembered that I had a lantern with a broken globe.  The "Heater" worked great for about 2 weeks.  One day I had the shanty nice and toasty, looked over and the knob was on fire.  Threw myself out of the shack thinking it was gonna blow.  :o Went back grabbed it by the propane bottle, flung it out the door and ducked for cover like in the old war movies.  I have not used the coffee can trick since.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Last season, I read where you caould put a coffee can over a coleman lantern to make it give more heat.  Upon seeing this I remembered that I had a lantern with a broken globe.  The "Heater" worked great for about 2 weeks.  One day I had the shanty nice and toasty, looked over and the knob was on fire.  Threw myself out of the shack thinking it was gonna blow.  :o Went back grabbed it by the propane bottle, flung it out the door and ducked for cover like in the old war movies.  I have not used the coffee can trick since.
[/quote

Now that is some funny S$%T!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.