The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Power Augers  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
Power Augers
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:24 PM »
I'm relatively new to the sport, and am currently using a hand auger for all of my fishing.  Just wondered what some of the veterans had to say about all of the power augers on the market.  I probably won't be able to afford one this year, but maybe I'll find a deal in the off season somewhere.  What would you guys recommend?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: Power Augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:25 PM »
 I really like my Strikemaster Lazer hand auger
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:30 PM »
It depends a lot on where you you will be going and what you fish for. Some here will tell you imphatically to buy a Nils. I think any of the reputable augers on the market will give you many trouble free years of service assuming you take care of them. I have a strikemaster mag ultra. I don't think they make them anymore. If I was buying another I would probably get another strikemaster although I personally have nothing against Nils, Jiffypop, Eskimo or any others.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:42 PM »
Power Auger Jiffy Stealth and hand auger Strikemaster Lazer. Spare blades for both. The last augers you'll have to buy.

Offline mcarolan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2007, 01:55 PM »
The Guy I fish a lot with uses a Jiffy Lectric Auger powered by a small car battery, you can get about 35 holes in 3 foot of ice out of it before she starts to power out.
Good thing about it is that you pull up drop the tail bored and drill. Easy!

Makes a decent size hole too about 8 inch.

I've only got a hand Auger myself and when its thick ice it becomes a b***h and takes away valuable fishing time.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:10 PM »
 They are definetly worth it! I used to do all my drilling with a 6inch hand auger until my fishing partner bought a gas powered one. Its a lot easier, quicker and makes a bigger hole which allows you to go after anything under the ice without worry whether it will fit or not.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline jconklin330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 02:17 PM »
2hp strikemaster

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Jiffy 3hp

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:22 PM »
I guess I forgot to mention that I do most of my fishing in PA lakes and until this year, it's pretty rare to have much more than 12-18" of ice.  Thanks for the input guys.

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:30 PM »
My friend just purchased a ESKIMO Z51. Great auger starts on the first or second pull. I use a power auger my father used its over 20 years old for sure. It resembles a strikemaster but the blades are diffrent, I have never been able to find replacements. Make sure you can find replacement parts, more specifically blades!

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I think they are all about the same. 

Personally - I have a Strikemaster Mag 2000 - it's a great unit.
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:25 PM »
everyone says jiffys the way to go but we just bought a brand new 3hp jiffy stealth and its a pain in the @$$. it takes awhile to get started, and takes even longer to warm up. she bogs down and dies halfway thru most holes, and water freezes on the "sidebiter" blades once you're done, meaning that you have to chip it off if you want to start cutting again. i don't know how much ice they get in penn. but if i were you i would get a used 2 hp auger for short money, most of the time in the early or late season i can cut more holes faster with a chisel anyway...

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:00 PM »
After half of a season with my jiffy lectric auger, I highly recomend it, no mixing gas and oil, no spills, no maintanence, lightwieght and drills like heck. very easy, to use, no troubles startting it up, plug it in and go!

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline -ADKIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get Some....
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I started out this year with a lazer 8" hand... I came to the conclusion that I can chip Ice faster with a spud bar. I just bought a 10" jiffy model 31 that Dick's had on sale for 349.95. The 8" hand was fine with 4 or 5 inches of ice, but anymore than that your gonna get tired. I traded the 8" hand in for a 5" Lazer hand for perch and use the 10" for my tip-ups... LOVE IT!!

best move I ever made
--------------------
Rob K out!

15lb. mono leader for me!

"Its all in how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I don't really think it depends on the brand.  They are all about equal in quality.  Besides Tecumsa makes the motors for most of the major brands.  If you take care of it, it will last a long time.  My gas auger is 14 years old.  My father has one that is going on 20 years old.  I have a jiffy model 30.  My father has an eskimo auger.  I own 2 strkemaster lazer hand augers.  They are also a well made product. 

Offline Archer 58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:48 AM »
Just purchased( 2 weeks ago) a strikelite 4 cycle 2 hp,weighs 20lbs .This is my first power auger it works and starts just fine,also have a 6" lazer hand auger.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:56 AM »
3 hp Jiffy can drill to China. I also keep a 6" hand auger in the truck for the days with big snowstorms. Its great for sneaking into areas that are posted by the state. No one can hear you drilling in those old gravel pits and farm ponds and its too cold and snowy for the cops to hike 2 miles into the woods to kick you out. ;D They just look at me and my truck and have to be thinking " if your that crazy :cookoo: about ice fishing, go for it". I'm not talking about breaking game laws, just want to fish alone. Couldnt drag a 3 horse over those hills very far.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:38 AM »
One item of note is that each auger seems to bring it's own demons. 

Every unit I've ever used has required it's own combanation of choking, priming, pulling, etc.... to get it started.  They are kind of like wives...... each one gets revved up a little differently.
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:51 PM »
everyone says jiffys the way to go but we just bought a brand new 3hp jiffy stealth and its a pain in the @$$. it takes awhile to get started, and takes even longer to warm up. she bogs down and dies halfway thru most holes, and water freezes on the "sidebiter" blades once you're done, meaning that you have to chip it off if you want to start cutting again. i don't know how much ice they get in penn. but if i were you i would get a used 2 hp auger for short money, most of the time in the early or late season i can cut more holes faster with a chisel anyway...
Now theres at least two of us. Wife got me a jiffy legend for x-mass, same *^% @$#& set of problems. Tie a rope on it for a boat anchor. Went back to my 25 year old 2 HP. Tass. Never fails.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Now theres at least two of us. Wife got me a jiffy legend for x-mass, same *^% @$#& set of problems. Tie a rope on it for a boat anchor. Went back to my 25 year old 2 HP. Tass. Never fails.
Well, you can make that three. I just bought one and right out of the box I'm having problems starting it and keeping it running. I was hoping it might just need the idle adjusted or something. Now I'm considering taking it back to the store and getting a different model.

JJ

« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:27 PM »
The 3 hp Jiffy's will run forever, but the newer 3 hp engines have given a lot of people problems. I believe since they came under emissions restrictions the carbs haven't worked properly.

Offline shortpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:01 AM »
I've had a 3 horse 10" strikemaster lazer for about 7 yrs and love it.  Yeah it's heavy but boy does it cut some ice!  Only b***h I have is the price of blades.  Paid $46 for a set this year.  I just mailed 3 sets to fish307.com for exchange for a total of $34.95.  After reading this thread I think I'm gonna invest in a 6" lazer hand auger as well.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Is it normal for an auger to bog down?  Mine never used to do that but for some reason, this year it bogs down on the first hole only.  Changed the plug, etc; seems like it takes longer now to warm it up, guess that comes with age.  Anyone have a solution?  Yea, I put the throttle on full bore and let it spin for 10 secs on top of the ice before I put any pressure on it, that works too but I shouldnt have to be doing that.  Machine is a 3 y/o Strikemaster.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:12 AM »
I wonder if you could buy an old jiffy or strikemaster and put an Echo engine on it.  Then it would run forever.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Someone on IS was going to put a chainsaw engine on an auger last year. Anyone heard any reports. I think is was someone up in Trapper Dirk's neck of the woods. How about it TD??? I bet that would be a ripper.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Is it normal for an auger to bog down?  Mine never used to do that but for some reason, this year it bogs down on the first hole only.  Changed the plug, etc; seems like it takes longer now to warm it up, guess that comes with age.  Anyone have a solution?  Yea, I put the throttle on full bore and let it spin for 10 secs on top of the ice before I put any pressure on it, that works too but I shouldnt have to be doing that.  Machine is a 3 y/o Strikemaster.
sounds like the old "varnish" problem, fuel left in engine long term without stabilizer. Might try a little fuel system cleaner, may have to disassemble carb and clean.

PreperationH

« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:30 PM »
strike master and jiffy(or somethin like that )seem to be the popular brands

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:22 PM »
I have an eskimo 2hp...its is really a chainsaw engine, it used to have a 10" eskimo blade but it didnt cut good so I bought a 8" strikemaster drill assembly for it and I love it....runs great and it cuts fast as heck.

Offline Perchonmypole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:17 AM »
sounds like the old "varnish" problem, fuel left in engine long term without stabilizer. Might try a little fuel system cleaner, may have to disassemble carb and clean.
2nd that.

JJ

« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Add SeaFoam to the gas to clean the carb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.