The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: buying an auger need field tested opinions  (Read 3432 times)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: buying an auger need field tested opinions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I love my GATOR.

I also love my Jiffy, I took the time to really tune it one day, and run it at 50:1.  I don't use it much.

Cheers!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:36 PM »
That gator u have ryan,is unreal!
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline BigJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:12 PM »
X2... Ryan's gator seems to plop through ice like a hot knife through butter.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Yes, the Gator is a kick ICE type unit.

I have treated it well, and it treats the ice like the ice owes it 8 bucks!!

I got about 70 holes through 10-14 inches of ice these last three weeks, going about 6 times, never recharging it.  She died last time I went trouting with Pikehunter.  So three weeks..bout every third day heading out...no charging...drilling 10-15 holes a go.

Keep them batts charged, and the unit semi warm and it rulz!!

I took it out when it was -26 last year, left it in the bed of the truck...driled holes all day, then went out the next day....did not recharge it (I forgot)...and had no problems the WHOLE NEXT DAY...about 20-30 holes per day....about 2ft of ice.

That is the most info I can give you on it's super cold performance.  I just am not willing to treat it any worse.

Cheers!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2010, 05:06 PM »
I recently purchased the new Jiffy STX PRO II, 10 inch, 3500 series engine.

No problems what so ever.  It's running smoother by the hole!!!

Worth the coin!
Mine has been "away" being fixed for a month this Thursday...not worth the coin!
Thread killer

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Strikemaster Lazer Mag Ultra 9" - works great - started on first pull when I got it out of storage about 2 weeks ago. Haven't been out this yeat yet as our ice is still a little thin. Just got my factory exchange blades for it and am now ready to go. Had it about 5 or 6 years. No problems - keep them blades sharp.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I own a stingray as well. when I bought it I asked what the big differences between all the drills were. The answer I got was basically: the stingray is slower than a highend drill but cuts just as well, but the high end drill will get you through the ice in 5 seconds where the sting ray is 15 seconds, so if you are impatient spend money.

I was told to kee my blades sharp and take care of it and she'll last for a long time, not to mention a drilled some holes for some guys just the other day because their big expensive drill wouldn't start  ;D, stingray to the rescue
I've got the stingray as well, and absolutely love it.  I agree that it is all anyone REALLY needs, and the bigger ones are heavier for no good reason and unnecessary to spend the extra money.  I also highly doubt that it takes three times as long to get through the ice.  Sure it's a LITTLE slower, but three times I have a hard time swallowing.  If I drilled more than 25 holes in an outing I might consider a larger one, but I think I'd stick with the Eskimos.  They are absolutely great augers for the money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.