Author Topic: Ice Helix 7 G2 - Thoughts  (Read 1159 times)

Offline sns2

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Helix 7 G2 - Thoughts
« on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Hi Fellas.  I just picked up an Ice Helix 7 G2.  Will be a while before I get out.  For those of you that have fished with a G2 Ice Helix (7 or 5) can you give me your impressions of them both good and bad.  I know I had heard there was some lag issues with the Gen1 units; is this still an issue with the Gen2 models?  Also, how do you find them compared to your traditional flashers, as I'm assuming most came from a dedicated flasher.  Thanks in advance for all replies.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Helix 7 G2 - Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Same boat^
interested on thoughts as well or intial settings.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:35 AM »
g1 here, 0 lag

https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/flasher-upgrade/ ready the reply by mike e

Get used to the menus before you go out - practice on simulation mode and get familiar with the units. I can guarantee you that 99% of the people who don't like using a HB on ice never figured out how to use it and gave up.

Catchin' Fish

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I own the G2 my uncle had G1 there is a big difference in side by side comparison the G2 with chirp is so snappy and fast well the G1 was laggy no matter the setting. Needless to say, my uncle bought the G2 the next day! It is an amazing unit I promise!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:56 PM »
G1 here as well, fish comes off the bottom, spring bobber moves, there's a fish. Zero lag. I thought about going to G2, but the bene's for how I fish wouldn't be worth it.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I've used both generations through the ice and on my boats. ZERO LAG on either generation. If somebody claims otherwise I'd like to see what they did to cause it. As far as fishing, they're great! I had used plenty of flashers, and really liked flashers. I just like the features and performance of the helix much more. I never use the flasher mode, all graph mode/zoom graph

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:19 PM »
I've used both generations through the ice and on my boats. ZERO LAG on either generation. If somebody claims otherwise I'd like to see what they did to cause it. As far as fishing, they're great! I had used plenty of flashers, and really liked flashers. I just like the features and performance of the helix much more. I never use the flasher mode, all graph mode/zoom graph

Visual hysteresis is a phenomenon that is greatly variable human to human.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:24 PM »
I also love mine. I only graph mode over Flasher because I like the history. Having two unit for the boat and the ice is great. Multi tasker's are good bang for the buck. Not to mention the GPS is nice.

Offline ccsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 02:38 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I just want to add to this. I have now used my Helix 7 3 times on the ice for all day trips. It's by far the best unit I've used. I put it down the same hole as my Marcum LX-5 and had zero interference with the helix but plenty of interference on the LX-5. I was able to use the IR button on the LX-5 to negate most of the interference though.

I've used both the 2d and flasher modes and they both rock. Definitely an upgrade from the LX-5.

Now for the main negative = battery life.
The stock battery is not enough juice for all day use. I left the unit run all day (each time out) and if you leave the screen above 5 (of 10) it'll be dead by 330 (turning it on at 6:30). In the shack, a setting of 3 (of 10) brightness is plenty but outside in the sun, it is not. When running 3 of 10 on brightness I was able to make it to 4:30 with 9% battery left. Now that isn't necessarily bad battery life as it's 9 plus hours, but there's more than 9 fishable hours in the day typically.
A Dakota lithium is in my cart so I can use higher brightness settings for outside use.
 I would still recommend this unit to everyone especially with a boat where you can autochart.

-sled.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:06 AM »
 I agree Helix 7 is great. I prefer the graph mode with color bar.  As far as battery life it sounds like you are doing what I'm doing with back light.  However I ran mine for over eight hours sat. and still had 60% left. I don't know what I'm doing right or your doing. It would nice to know.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2018, 11:18 AM »
I read somewhere that changing the back ground from white to black helps to conserve energy on some HB units. Does your H7 have that option? I think it's on the menu using the power button on older units. Might be worth looking in to. Might have to adjust the color palette if the black background is an option.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Great to know bought one but by the time it got here our early ice had come and gone. Now just waiting for it to freeze again!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:07 PM »
I've been trying to find the target separation on this unit. It is eluding me.  Can someone fill me in?

Offline Herms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I've been trying to find the target separation on this unit. It is eluding me.  Can someone fill me in?

Don't quote me but I have read it before and I believe it is 1.5 inches.

I picked up a gen 2 helix 7 last fall for using only on the ice and I love the unit.  It has a great screen and viability only wish the button had back lighting on them as it is hard to see in dim light without some source of light.  It is nice being able to use the flasher/2d modes or any conjunction of the 2 along with gps you choose.  I've never had any issues with interference and I've been in a shack with 2 other ice 35's and a vex .
 It is also nice to be able to zoom to a selected area if you are targeting fish that are in a specific depth of water or to being up the bottom.  Battery is a bit of a let down but I purchased a lithium from dakota outdoors and it has helped quite a bit along with turning down the brightness. 

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I have a Helix 7 g2n for use in my boat.  I use a Marcum LX7 on ice.  I love the graph mode, have never used a flasher.  Is there much difference between these units? 

Not sure I want to buy the ice ducer for this one since I have the LX7.  Also have a 688 with ice ducer (backup).  But if this is better than the Marcum, maybe..
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.