Author Topic: best ice fishing boot out there  (Read 9732 times)

Offline fireman 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
best ice fishing boot out there
« on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Hey everybody I'm sure this question has been asked several times but I'm in need of a good pair of ice fishing boots and i have read several reviews about different boots. But i would really like to hear from the people that really use the boots and what you guys would suggest thanks for all your input it is much appreciated.   

Offline Silver~Ghost

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: best ice fishing boot out there
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Dunlop Purofoot..

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 07:57 PM »
My personal chioce is Merrell Ice Jams with Patagonia expediton wool socks

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Lacrosse sportsman 1500mg thinsulate,these are the almost knee high rubber boots use regular cotton socks and they work great
Catching Any?

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Wont go on the ice without my Sorrels. Wow…must be a lot warmer where you guys are to wear those flimsy boots.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline IceFishNFool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Lacrosse Iceman then a set of ice carbide ice spikes.  :)

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Cabelas Predator For me , last pair lasted me over  10 years.  Very warm.  Only con is they are big . Bought my second pair about a month ago. Fit my budget and had great luck with last pair ..

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Wont go on the ice without my Sorrels. Wow…must be a lot warmer where you guys are to wear those flimsy boots.

My thoughts exactly.  Sorrel Glaciers here for 95% of the winter season and Baffin Titans for when the slush/water on the ice is more than 4 inches deep.

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:21 PM »
A lot of slushy conditions in NEPA you need a good pair of insulated rubber boots. Pack boots just don't cut it, if you want dry feet...... But we don't get extreme weather either...

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I used to suffer from cold feet, so I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Sorrels. Seemed like a lot of money at the time but that was 10 years ago and I'm still using them. Best investment I ever made.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Cabelas Predator For me , last pair lasted me over  10 years.  Very warm.  Only con is they are big . Bought my second pair about a month ago. Fit my budget and had great luck with last pair ..

x2  Still on my same pair of predator extremes from 10+ years ago.  Last year I stood ankle deep in water for a good part of the fishing day, my feet were bone dry and warm.  Only complaint I have is I could have sworn they were only $99 back then ???.  Thanks a lot Obama.  On 25+ degree days, i'll stick my feet in a pair of Rocky 800's be straight.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:38 PM »
White Mickeys
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:40 PM »
A lot of slushy conditions in NEPA you need a good pair of insulated rubber boots. Pack boots just don't cut it, if you want dry feet...... But we don't get extreme weather either...

lol... yeah I suppose -100C ratings aren't in much need in PA.  It's funny though... it doesn't seem extreme when you live it, you respect it but never feels extreme.  Walked out on the lake near a mile in the dark on Sunday and it was -40 w/o the wind factored in, warm and toasty feet. 

The Baffin Titan is an all rubber, fully waterproof boot that's rated to the same -100 as my Sorrels but I prefer my Sorrels when there is no slush/water to contend with b/c I find the all rubbers are more cumbersome and your feet don't breathe at all. 

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Mickeys are good and reasonable until you nick the auger blade or they dry rot

Offline winterfunguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I've had my Sorrells for 10 years and have worn the crap out of them...they are still as warm as the day I got them!  I can sit all day in my pop up shanty with no floor or out on a bucket and my feet never get cold or wet.  Great boots...I think the people who have owned a pair can attest to their warmth, durability and relative lightness (compared to the Iceman and similar Pac boots)
risk vs. reward...

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Mickeys are good and reasonable until you nick the auger blade or they dry rot

I will agree keep the blades away...I'm going on 15 years on mine and they are just now starting to crack. When they are toast I will buy another pair.
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Ok I'm in the inland northwest so they are close to me but hands down whites boots in spokane!  I have several pair for different conditions but my oldest pair are twenty years old.  My wife has a pair with the calks integrated into the bob soles and she loves them. They are built to last!! My newest ones are steel toed so I can wear them at work (mine mechanic) and I had them built with triple soles and two steel shanks like their lineman. The stiff soles make them feel like normal boots not like the floppy sorrels. I like that and after I bought them for my wife she says it feels like it takes less energy to walk in them than sorrels

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:05 PM »
I will agree keep the blades away...I'm going on 15 years on mine and they are just now starting to crack. When they are toast I will buy another pair.

They are Definitely worth every penny!

Offline Hux

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I have over a decade on my mickeys were them hunting and fishing never had cold feet once.
FEESH ON!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Too funny.  Hardly any agreement - this may as well be a who has the best flasher. LOL 

BAFFINS

Offline squirrel-master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Just got me some mickeys this year and they are amazing, I used to use some really good snow mobling boots, but now I even use my mickeys for snow mobling. Havent had cold feet once and I've been out with temps around zero. Best boots ever!

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I can see how this could turn into a heated debate. My feet are the most important pice of equipment I bring to any outing and in MHO don't skimp where it counts most. Even with the best boots I can find I bring a board for my wife to stand on while she fishes on the ice.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:50 PM »
 ;D

Offline blacknoise

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:07 AM »
My Baffin Barrow -100 steel toes are the most comfortable and warmest boots i've ever warn.  They are not heavy like most steel toes, and I've stuck my whole foot in a hole and stayed dry.  i'll never buy another pair of non-baffin winter boots again.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:12 AM »
Only used them 3 times but so far  Baffins
Never to many short poles

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Predators and a pair of Redhead lifetime socks is all I have worn for the past few years.
Have not had cold feet yet with this setup
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:11 AM »
another vote for black mickeys or white bunny boots by bata.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Good boots are worth the cost.  I wear the Irish Setter Snow Claw XT boots.  Waterproof, warm, and light weight.  I have tried a few others, and no longer use them for various reasons.  The Iceman boots where warm, but heavy.  Rocky Snowstalker Extreme boots where awesome, but not discontinued. 

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:18 AM »
huh no votes for the muck boot arctic pro...they seem to work real well for me and my cousin..dah well to each thier own..
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Fightinwildfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 AM »
I love my BOGS Arctic Roamers!! They are rated for -40. They are a little heavy ( i wouldn't recommend hiking to far in them) But they are awesome for cold days sitting for long durations! Good luck, and hopefully you'll have warm feet!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.