Author Topic: New Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit.  (Read 11124 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: New Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2013, 11:00 PM »
You can 3X and 4X Striker Lite jackets and bibs for $79.99 each at Korkys. Really warm, floats, and unbelievable price. I bought a couple of sets for my son and I.

X2 on this, not the new line for this year but all the specifications are the same and you cant beat the price. I picked up the hardwater jacket delivered for $83. Its a little colder here but you should be fine with the lite jacket and bibs. Check them out before they are gone
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 16, 2013, 09:29 AM »
As mentioned in a prior post the Guide Gear parkas and bibs from Sportsman's Guide are the best suit for the money. I have owned mine for 4 years now and don't have one complaint. My son has the black Frabill ice suit and although they are costly they are the best design and quality. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend. Another consideration should be the type of fishing that you do. If you spend the majority of your time out in the open, then things like insulated sleeves, insulated hood and padded knees should be a must. If you spend your time in a heated shanty, then dressing in layers with a lighter parka and bibs that you could shed inside would probably be the best. My Guide Gear set up is very thick with insulation and although perfect for open air fishing can be a little bulky inside my flip over. Just remember that it's better to be too warm with the option to unzip than to be cold with no option at all.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16, 2013, 11:03 AM »
love my artic armor green bay edition, under 300 for jacket and pants and the suit will keep you afloat.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 27, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Looking to buy an ice suit or some bibs for this winter.  I live near the bottom of the ice belt, so I cannot justify big money for something that I will wear a few dozen times a year.  I should note that I am 6'6", so a long-inseam option would be nice.

Vander since you live in Central Ill (I live in N Ill) there is only one suit I would buy and that is one that floats!!! I currently have a Arctic Armor suit and like it. I haven't had any of the problems that I've heard others having. Plus I am reassured if the unexpected happens like going through. I've heard great things about the Strike Lite suits and you can get a jacket & bibs for 200.00 !! I can't even imagine anybody that's looking at getting a suit for ice fishing not getting one that floats !!! It doesn't matter where you live !!!!
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 30, 2013, 10:17 PM »
another thumbs up for this suit http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-parka.aspx?a=750470 have had mine 2 seasons and it is flat awesome it keeps you warm it breaths and in really bad weather it is really like a mobile hut you wear I have used it on moderate days of 20deg f and a full day on granby when it was -25 with nasty wind and blowing snow it is a great suit and I got my full set for 45 dollars the spring of 2011

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Wondering if anybody is thinking purchasing the Clam IA Lift Cold Weather Suit? I've been fishing in a 1pc HH survival suit for 5yrs & have literally wore it out. It was an awesome suit except it was heavy & well being a 1pc it sucked on them warm days. So now I looking at purchasing a 2pc. It would have been an easy Striker purchase before Clam came out with this new suit....So I'm looking for feedback on the performance of the Clam Ice Armor suit & the Striker Hardwater Suit from a performance point of view i.e. waterproof, cold weather performance, anything really... I wish one of the suits was offered in red & black scheme instead of blue & grey or vice versa.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:03 PM »
I have not yet seen the new clam suit. I did purchase a striker climate suit this year. what I like about striker is the options for different suits and all the features the suits over. plus I thought I heard the clam suits you have to buy as a set. so you don't have the option to buy a small jacket and medium bottoms. plus with striker you can buy climate bottoms in a medium and a hardwater jacket in small.  the quality of striker is top notch hands down.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #37 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I believe the clam is new this year so any real world reviews may be non existent.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 03, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Wingthing,

I have both suits you are looking at. here is my insight to both of them. they are both waterproof & wind proof. the Striker is bulkier then the lift suit. the Striker is warm to the point of almost being to warm at times on the warmer days. since the Lift suit is new this year and I just got mine back on October 24th I can't say at this time how warm it will be until I can actually get out on the ice with it. the best way to describe the Lift suit would be that it is like the normal non floating Edge blue suit but with the layer of the floating material inside of it. the Clam suits are sold only in sets where as Striker is sold as separate pieces, how ever the sizing chart for the Clam suits is right on. when I got mine I was having trouble deciding between a Large or a XL, I went with the Large and it fits nice even over a heavy sweatshirt and jeans. if you have more questions about the Lift suit feel free to email Clam's customer service and they will answer any questions you may have.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Striker has 4-5 models, all with varying insulation.  You can get a large jacket and xl bibs, mix and match etc.  Pricing is great, quality is second to none...warranty is great...I would say do NOT buy any suit until you check them out...

Mike
www.iceduels.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline MikeRaetz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I am excited to use the lift suit. It looks very nice and reminds me of a blue suit which I like. It allows me to layer clothes so im never to warm and never to cold at the same time. Should be a good suit!!

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I agree with Mike.  I picked one up and am excited to use it.  Not only on the Ice but for the remainder of the Open water season!

There are lots of companies that have good suits.  Try them on and pick the one that suits you best!  (no pun intended...)

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I saw it at the Hardwater show in Blaine. There isn't much to it. I saw the demo in the kiddy pool and it didn't look like it floats because the guy wearing it hit bottom. It may help you but it doesn't look like it would save you.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:38 PM »
I saw it at the Hardwater show in Blaine. There isn't much to it. I saw the demo in the kiddy pool and it didn't look like it floats because the guy wearing it hit bottom. It may help you but it doesn't look like it would save you.

That had to be funny or as the kids would say..... awkWARD!!!

I posted earlier and would like to add that since them I picked up a Striker Ice Jacket and the quality between the Striker Ice and the Strikemaster is night and day.  I stand by my earlier post however I just thought I would add the note about the quality.  I have not had a chance to actually use the coat.

Anyone want to buy a pair of slightly used stikemaster bibs ;)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:27 AM »

you need to remember that trout pond was only like 2 feet deep and he jumped in so yes he would hit the bottom. here is a picture from the catalog this year showing a person floating in it. this was taken in a pool with deeper water and the guy in the picture is not a small guy. it clearly floated him

http://catalog.clamoutdoors.com/plog-content/images/clam-outdoors/2013-14-product-catalog/clam_catalog_2013-14_page_28.jpg

click on the image to enlarge it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #45 on: Nov 24, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I just received the New Clam IA Lift Suit & am having second thoughts on my purchase. The first thing I notice is how thin it is, can't feel any insulation in the coat or the bibs, almost feel more like a fall shell....I also found the knees to be a little off center. It does fit like a glove not bulky at all, along with a ton of great pockets. I'm worried about -17 temps when even the Buddy Heater inside the flip can't keep up that I've made the wrong choice....but I'm a bit of an optimist so I'll let you all know after testing it on the hard stuff.

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:24 PM »
You can get the Striker Ice bibs in tall sizes and I know they run long (with up to a 39+ inseam for tall size) and they are all adjustable to fit your length- over a 6 inch range. Great for tall guys and cool for not-so-tall guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.