Author Topic: Muck arctic pros = COLD FEET!!!  (Read 10786 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Muck arctic pros = COLD FEET!!!
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I am so dissapointed with my muck arctic pros!  I wore them out 4 times now, and even at a measely -10 (celcius) my feet were cold in about an hour!!  It wasnt' due to moisture, I had top of the line wool socks and I don't have circulation problems - they JUST DON'T CUT IT FOR WARMTH.  I will say they are extremely light and comfortable, but not warm.  They're great to walk in, and my feet never overheat or sweat, and if they are cold a short walk will warm them up...but I think they need more insulation on the BOTTOM to prevent cold coming up through the boot.

What a waste of $185 + tax.
Tight lines

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Muck arctic pros = COLD FEET!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:31 AM »
thats the funny thing about boots. some people's feet freeze with anything.... (like mine) and i wouldn't buy muck boots for warmth. I just don't see how neoprene boots\/rubber boots can be warm

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:04 AM »
yep, that was my thought (too thin) but after so many praising reviews of people saying they stood in icey slush for 8 hours and never got cold, I thought they'd be great....no so much  :-\
Tight lines

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:57 PM »
I've said it before and don't want to sound like a broken record, but if you want to be SURE that you don't get cold feet...I can pretty much guarantee that you won't if you buy one of these models of boots:

1.  Cabelas Trans-Alaskan boots:  Simply the best warmth to weight ratio of any boot I've ever seen.  Large and bulky but very lightweight and waterproof.  Extremely WARM.

2.  Cabelas Predator Extreme boots:  Also VERY WARM.  Very similar to the Trans-Alaskan but slightly heavier, but heavier made with more leather...still very light for the warmth.  These are the boots that I wear 90% of the time.  The only time I don't wear these is if I know I'll be walking several miles on the ice and want to save a couple ounces with the Trans-Alaskas.  About $30-$50 cheaper than the Trans-Alaskas.  I lace them up half-way and slip them on like a slipper.

Both these Cabelas boots give you about 2" of insulation between your foot and the ice...more than any other boots I've seen...and I've seen or owned a lot of them.  Also note that I'm not a huge Cabelas fan, as I think their stuff is often overpriced...However, that's the only place you can get these boots.

3.  Finally, the White BATA Mickey Mouse boots:  These boots can often be found for under $50 at many Army/Navy stores or Sportsman's Warehouse.  They are very warm!  However, they are extremely HEAVY.  If you only walk a short distance on the ice or drive sleds or ATV's to get where you are going, save your money and get these.  If you are like me and walk one or several miles/day on the ice....these boots will kick your butt, especially if you have much snow on top and you have to "high-step" it.  If you take care of these boots they will last forever.  However, they are somewhat prone to dry rot, so some care should be taken to keep them clean and dry after use. 

I have heard some very good things about some of the Baffin boots, but have no first-hand experience with them.  I've got 8+ years out of my Predator Extremes...6 years out of my T.A.s , and 20 years on my Mickey's (I rarely use them anymore) with no signs of wear on any of them, so it may be a while before I get to test another pair. ;)

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:16 PM »
i just bought the predator extremes. haven't tried them yet, but they appear to be a nice boot for $119 (on sale). looked at the baffin impacts as well, but they are so tall and i doubt you could fit your pants over the top of the top of the boot.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Baffin Apex. No cold feet, No wet feet!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:03 PM »
I love me Cabelas Predator Extreme boots would not trade them for any other boot , owned black and white mickys  and my extremes have held up better then either of them  and i have never had cold feet in them

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:58 PM »
i looked at the baffin Apex boots and they are all rubber. I can't imagine my feet not sweating in them at some point causing them to get cold.

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Im sorry your muck boots didnt keep your feet warm.  I have the same pair and have fished in -15 (F) and I havent had an issue with them.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:41 AM »
I am so dissapointed with my muck arctic pros!  I wore them out 4 times now, and even at a measely -10 (celcius) my feet were cold in about an hour!!  It wasnt' due to moisture, I had top of the line wool socks and I don't have circulation problems - they JUST DON'T CUT IT FOR WARMTH.  I will say they are extremely light and comfortable, but not warm.  They're great to walk in, and my feet never overheat or sweat, and if they are cold a short walk will warm them up...but I think they need more insulation on the BOTTOM to prevent cold coming up through the boot.

What a waste of $185 + tax.

Get a pair of the white mickey mouse boots, they're rated for 20 degrees colder than the black mickeys.  Wear one pair of socks with them as specified.  The boots run big, I normally take a 12 or 13 boot and I'm comfortable in a pair of size 11 Mickeys.

Buy either the REAL military mickeys and avaoid the chinese knock offs.  Best choices are the Bata or the Canadian Air Boss, anything else is 2nd best.

I don't care if I'm walking 5 miles or 500 yards on the ice, the Mickeys are the only way to go.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Im sorry your muck boots didnt keep your feet warm.  I have the same pair and have fished in -15 (F) and I havent had an issue with them.
They keep my feet warm untill I sit still on a bucket for a while.  You outside or in a heated shanty?  What kind of socks are you wearing?  I tried thick 100% wool socks, and these http://kingstonon.flyerland.ca/products/marks-work-wearhouse-windriver-t-max-r-heat-product-6071356 but sitting still, the cold came up through the bottom of the boot.  I hate to give up on these boots since I bought them to replace a pair that didnt' cut it last year (columbia's)...maybe a just need an insert to put more space between my foot and the ice....I usually go for 8 hours or so at a time.
Tight lines

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:00 AM »
My mucks have never let me down.  Sit all day and not get cold.  However, they do dry rot when left on the proch all summer!  Just had to buy another pair.  Cold feet equals game ender.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:10 AM »
I have worn my mucks in -24 without any trouble, we had a guest who was not dressed for it and they stayed in the portable that day. When I deal with below zero temps, I put 1/2" Sorel insoles in and I'm good to go, Just my .02 !

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:23 AM »
Sorry to hear you don't like yours.  My feet never get cold in mine.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:59 AM »
When I deal with below zero temps, I put 1/2" Sorel insoles in and I'm good to go, Just my .02 !
Yeah, I'm hoping that'll fix them.  They are super comfy, and pricey, so I don't want to get a different pair...actually surf, it was YOUR high praise of them that sold me on them (as well as others) - hopefully the extra layer between bottom of foot and ice takes care of it.  Are you guys sitting outside on a bucket or in a shanty/floor?
Tight lines

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:05 AM »
You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink... ;)2

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:18 AM »
You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make him drink... ;)2
??? what do you use to keep the horses feet warm  ;)
Tight lines

Offline Pike-Icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:20 AM »
I have the LL BEAN PacBoots (the lace up version).   Fairly happy with them.......am wondering about

any comparisions to the Cabela Predator Extremes?   
Pikeonator23 on myfishfinder.com

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I have the LL BEAN PacBoots (the lace up version).   Fairly happy with them.......am wondering about

any comparisions to the Cabela Predator Extremes?   

i can't compare them, but i will say the pred extremes are stout boots. There is tons of insulation and the soles keep quite a buffer between your feet and the cold ground. I have worn them shoveling, ATV'ing etc.. and they are warm boots. I am pleased with them. I also like that you can remove the liner and dry it out if it gets wet. i plan to use them during hunting season mainly but may use them for ice fishing too. I have Ice kings now for that but also have lots of other boots for snowmobiling, hunting  etc....

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:21 PM »
i plan to use them during hunting season mainly but may use them for ice fishing too. I have Ice kings now for that but also have lots of other boots for snowmobiling, hunting  etc....

Once you wear the Predators ice fishing, you'll retire your Ice Kings I'll bet...I had Ice Kings before the Predators and it's not even a close call.

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:06 PM »
I used to work in the woods as a logger while spending my free time hunting and fishing. I wore Lacrosee insulated rubber boots for years, dealing with them cracking/leaking and NOT standing up to any amount of UV rays without failing.

I bought my first pair of muck boots two years ago (arctic sports) and wouldnt buy anything else. Whether it be logging or hunting/ fishing, these boots are warm, dry and light. Hands down a superiour cold weather outdoor boot.

I am sorry you don't like yours, one of the few complaints I have ever heard about them.

Offline troutmster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:22 AM »
I just invested in a pair of muck(sports)boots and think they are the best boot ever made when it comes to comfort,weight ect.. Took then up to the allagash and had to put a toe warmer in to last the day..I'd say as long as its above 0*and u got toe warmers close by you'd b OK..
I had the bunnies(white)close just in case..
Bunnies r cheap and heavy but very dependable..Like said earlier,1 pair light socks and there is nothingto worry about..Your feet can get cool or coldish but never unbearable..
Also,make sure the valve is closed or they can fill with water and then freeze like a brick..

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:36 AM »
I used to work in the woods as a logger while spending my free time hunting and fishing. I wore Lacrosee insulated rubber boots for years, dealing with them cracking/leaking and NOT standing up to any amount of UV rays without failing.

I bought my first pair of muck boots two years ago (arctic sports) and wouldnt buy anything else. Whether it be logging or hunting/ fishing, these boots are warm, dry and light. Hands down a superiour cold weather outdoor boot.

I am sorry you don't like yours, one of the few complaints I have ever heard about them.
I actually LOVE the boot, I just wish it was warmer.  From the sounds of things you are quite active in yours, and when I move they're toasty and not sweaty...it's when I get hunkered on the bucket for a few hours, then my feet get cold.  I really just think they need a thicker sole, I might have to stick an insole in them.  I am NOT looking to use feet warmers every time out again...I wasted a ton of $ on those last year, and the stick-on crap ruined a bunch of my pricey wool socks.
Tight lines

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:43 AM »
And that's the big issue. Moving, walking, working will keep you feet warm. Compeletly different story when just sitting there. Most hunters will say the same thing. When i am sitting in my stand i wear heavy warm boots, but when driving thru the woods or stalking i wear a much lighter pair.

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Try a piece of rubber mat or carpet under your feet when your sitting in the shanty for long periods....We seem to have tip ups and move locations alot ,that keeps us warm. Just my .02

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:53 PM »
i got me a pair of forty dolla rubber pac boots with felts in em..feets never get cold...
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I have a pair of the Baffin Apex and absolutely love them. I also have the Arctic Muck boots and they are great if I am active, but ice fishing...they suck. The Baffins are rated to -145* and are easy to remove the liners and dry them out. They are also quite light (maybe about 2/3 heavier than the Muck boot). Their customer service is also top notch. I wear Carhart Arctic bibs and they fit over the top of these boots just fine.
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:00 AM »
I bought a pair of arctic sports in early October, wore them all of Deer hunting(bowhunting in a treestand) and now icefishing, I have not worn anything else this year and I have been comfortable every time, for me, when my body temperature drops it doesn't matter what boots I have on my feet get cold, its your body clamping down the peripheral blood flow and keeping it for the organs, nothing you can do.  However I do think is very important to dry much out as soon as they are off your feet, mine go directly onto the boot dryer, it keeps them warm and odorless.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I have a pair of the Baffin Apex and absolutely love them. I also have the Arctic Muck boots and they are great if I am active, but ice fishing...they suck. The Baffins are rated to -145* and are easy to remove the liners and dry them out. They are also quite light (maybe about 2/3 heavier than the Muck boot). Their customer service is also top notch. I wear Carhart Arctic bibs and they fit over the top of these boots just fine.
my only issue with the baffins is my mustang floater suit wont zip up around these boots.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2012, 06:59 PM »
my feet get cold in my mucks if there is snow, these are my favorite, been wearing them for years now
http://www.baffin.com/product-p/23550000.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.