Author Topic: Guide Gear boots  (Read 9568 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Guide Gear boots
« on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Sportsmans Guide has these boots for about $70. A lot of name brand boots are close to double the price! Many of you you on here have said that their bibs, parkas, etc. are very good values. How about these boots? How is the sizing on them? If I can save some money, I just might pull the trigger after Christmas! Thanks in advance!! :icefish:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=88570
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline shaftthrower

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Guide Gear boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Don't know about those, but I purchased these about 4-5 years ago when they was selling for $79.99. Very quality boots. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-guide-dry-waterproof-2000-gram-thinsulate-ultra-insulation-sentry-ii-boots-brown.aspx?a=918390  Have you looked at Mickey Mouse boots on ebay? Their warm and dry and probly cheaper?

Offline bassin329

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I love looking through the guide gear catalogs that get sent my way. My only pair of boots I ordered was a let down. Those eye rings, to run the laces through popped off after a couple times of wearing them. I Still wear them and they serve the purpose, but big saving don't always mean great buy.
Respect the land and water you tread on, it's not just yours.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Hmm I'm gonna pay attention to this thread I like those pac boots ill have to check out the reviews thanks for posting !

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:59 PM »
I don't have those boots, but I have purchased a pair of their better hunting boots. The were a bit small for my feet, which run pretty much true to size in boots, and even though they were "Guaranteed" water proof, they were not. I still could wear them, but not with heavy socks, so they went into the summer work boot rotation. They lasted quite well, but the size difference and the leaking was a deal breaker on me buying any more from them. The price was certainly attractive, though!

BIGJim223

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:14 PM »
bought the same exact pair for my son 3 yrs. ago. hes been out in -20 weather w/ me and never froze his feet. just as good a boot as the lacrosses at half the price! only thing is theyre a little bulky like the mickeys but who cares ? as long as your warm. i  recommened them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:40 PM »
bought the same exact pair for my son 3 yrs. ago. hes been out in -20 weather w/ me and never froze his feet. just as good a boot as the lacrosses at half the price! only thing is theyre a little bulky like the mickeys but who cares ? as long as your warm. i  recommened them.
Thanks! I'll see if anyone else has experience with them. I've bought from Sportsman's Guide before and like what I've gotten.Their Customer Service isn't bad either. :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Ice Dog 67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DCB = Delta Bravo
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Don't know about those, but I purchased these about 4-5 years ago when they was selling for $79.99. Very quality boots. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-guide-dry-waterproof-2000-gram-thinsulate-ultra-insulation-sentry-ii-boots-brown.aspx?a=918390  Have you looked at Mickey Mouse boots on ebay? Their warm and dry and probly cheaper?

X2  BEST boots I've ever owned.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I bought my dad the SentryII boots, he's 81 and does not have the best circulation and he wears them icefishing and never gets cold feet.  I have a pair of these from them and I wear them bowhunting and icefishing without getting cold feet.  As with any boot never get them too small and wear good WOOL socks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-guide-dry-2000-gram-thinsulate-ultra-insulation-sentry-boots.aspx?a=552716

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Looks like one of those 2 boots will be on my feet when I can get them! I'm leaning toward the $70 pair. Leaves money for some good wool socks. Anyone else?? :tipup:

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Not to sound negative, but these boots look exactly like the Itasca pac boots they used to sell. They lasted me 1 season and then the whole top seam towards the front toe section started to come unstitched and seperated. They are warm, but once that seam starts to go the warmth escapes and renders the boot useless if you ask me. You are better off getting there rocky waterproofed boots with the 2000 grams of thinsulation. Best boot I've ever owned and they used to sell them for $99 out the door. Not sure of the prices now, but I've been wearing them for 10 yrs and they are still going strong. 

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Not to sound negative, but these boots look exactly like the Itasca pac boots they used to sell. They lasted me 1 season and then the whole top seam towards the front toe section started to come unstitched and seperated. They are warm, but once that seam starts to go the warmth escapes and renders the boot useless if you ask me. You are better off getting there rocky waterproofed boots with the 2000 grams of thinsulation. Best boot I've ever owned and they used to sell them for $99 out the door. Not sure of the prices now, but I've been wearing them for 10 yrs and they are still going strong.

What type of Rocky boot were they ??? What model?

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Sorry for the late reply oldsailor. I misspoke though. They are made by rocky and are 1200 gram not 2000. I just had them out, and they are camouflage and brown brushed leather. Very well built, and heavy lugged soles for traction.   

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I have the Gear Guide 2400 Gram . They are a little more money but I love them
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I picked up these off season couple years ago @ gander CHEAP

Men's LaCrosse® Ultra Insulation Ice King 10 inch Pac Boots

They have them on sportsman guide for $79. Waterproof and extremely soft and warm. Best thing I have bought for ice fishing yet.

35 oz vs 52 guide gear

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Just received another order from Sportsman's....I love their service. Another IS member E-mailed me he saw my "Bunny Fur" hat on a one day sale last weekend...cheaper than my member's price I paid for it. Sent them an E-mail yesterday just saying I wished I would have known that..received an E-mail from them THIS morning....they apolgized and refunded the difference to my credit card already. Said anytime there's a cheaper price, let them know, and they'll refund it. I love the place. How can ya go wrong? Sailor, sending ya an E-mail...got a coupon for ya.... :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Just received another order from Sportsman's....I love their service. Another IS member E-mailed me he saw my "Bunny Fur" hat on a one day sale last weekend...cheaper than my member's price I paid for it. Sent them an E-mail yesterday just saying I wished I would have known that..received an E-mail from them THIS morning....they apolgized and refunded the difference to my credit card already. Said anytime there's a cheaper price, let them know, and they'll refund it. I love the place. How can ya go wrong? Sailor, sending ya an E-mail...got a coupon for ya.... :whistle:

Thanks Reb! I have to wait and see how it goes as far as the holidays go!! Like many others, I'm about tapped out!! I also have bought their stuff and like the customer service!! No ice = no hurry!!

Offline walleyedmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
As always, I am............ walleyed

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I'm about 3 hours away from the Guide and over the last 20 some years have bought lots of products.  This includes boots up the ying yang.  Not only quality price and great prices but also, an Iron Clad Guarentee.  No one else offers that.  The one thing with boots though, I would rather be there to try them on rather than order through the mail and hope.  But like I said, an Iron Clad!!

Offline ME icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Sportsmans Guide has these boots for about $70. A lot of name brand boots are close to double the price! Many of you you on here have said that their bibs, parkas, etc. are very good values. How about these boots? How is the sizing on them? If I can save some money, I just might pull the trigger after Christmas! Thanks in advance!! :icefish:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/insulated-waterproof-pac-boots-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=88570
.                                                                                                                                                                                         I.                                      I just bought the same boots for me and my son a few weeks ago. I ordered our reg shoe sizes and they fit good. They are very well insulated and super warm so far although it hasnt been very cold here in Maine yet. They are bulky which I expected and seem to be built fairly well. I havent been disappointed by them yet. I wouldn't want to walk too far or for too long but we wanted them for ice fishing and snowmobiling and I think they will work well for us.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:16 PM »
I bought my wife and son the 2000 gram camo boots and they say they work great for them.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:31 PM »
The Sportsman's guide has always been a good source and great customer service. I love my LaCross Ice King boots and will probably never need another pair. They are heavy and tough on the legs after a long day on the ice but they sure are warm and comfy.

These days, you are hard pressed to find a decent ice boot as they are all made in China. The ones you show look fine as do the ones from Cabela's. The real test is if they are in fact warm, waterproof and will last a while. My Ice Kings are at least 10 years old and barely broke in because I use them only for ice fishing. I have the coldest feet in the universe and have tried every good boot, money is not an issue, including the mickey's and they don't hold a candle to the LaCross. I would try them and make sure Sportsman's Guide will stand behind them if they are junk. I can't say if the LaCross of today is even close to the ones I have so don't depend on that. Years ago the best pack boots were made by Sorel/Kaufmann but I think they went to junk too. I would not spend a dime on a Rocky boot. Have 4 pairs here and they all went to trash in 2 years of mild use. You could probably find my discussion with great pictures from a couple years ago about them. The rubber soles disintegrated while sitting in my closet and Rocky told me to pound salt.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:40 AM »
I'm about 3 hours away from the Guide and over the last 20 some years have bought lots of products.  This includes boots up the ying yang.  Not only quality price and great prices but also, an Iron Clad Guarentee.  No one else offers that.  The one thing with boots though, I would rather be there to try them on rather than order through the mail and hope.  But like I said, an Iron Clad!!
Long drive from Ohio just to try on boots!! ;D But they have excellent customer service so I'm not worried! Thanks!! :icefish:

Offline hunter991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I just ordered these myself last week, got them in 2 days. They are bulky and big, but they appear to be worth the price. My feet freeze so i am always trying to find warm boots. Looking forware to trying them. I will say that i found lesser boots for alot more money than these during my search. Just because it says "Sorel" doesn't mean it's any warmer. I have spend lots of money on boots in the past only to have them leak or my feel freeze. I figured with these, even if they last 2 seasons, if they are warm they only cost $79. I have cross trainers that cost more.

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:35 AM »
I have been very well satisfied with both pair of my Guide Gear boots, 800 gram and 1200, no leaks and lightweight and quality.  Did have to return one pair for a larger size.  The Guide offers a good selection, so choose wisely.  Good company to deal with.
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2011, 06:08 AM »
I'm a club member from the Sportsman's guide as it's my favorite place to order from. I ordered a $15 rod holder a few days ago and they delivered me a $100 foldable rifle shooting bench.  ??? ....Never ordered that. I guess it was their replacement for the rod holder. Yes, I was honest and called them.

2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:43 AM »
X2, Lacross Pac. You get what you pay for!
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2011, 07:52 AM »
I bought my dad the SentryII boots, he's 81 and does not have the best circulation and he wears them icefishing and never gets cold feet.  I have a pair of these from them and I wear them bowhunting and icefishing without getting cold feet.  As with any boot never get them too small and wear good WOOL socks.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-guide-dry-2000-gram-thinsulate-ultra-insulation-sentry-boots.aspx?a=552716
I bought 2 pairs of these boots a few years ago and love them. Not overly bulky but are lightweight and warm. I use a pair for hunting and the other pair strictly for ice fishing as I studded them.The key is not to buy to small of a size.I went up 1 size on my ice boots to accomodate heavey socks and they work really well/ Great boots for the price.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:34 PM »
My mother-in-law gave me some money for Christmas so now I'll be able to buy my Guide Gear boots! ;D The problem is that we don't look to be getting ice any time soon :( At least when we do  I'll have warm feet!! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! :icefish:

Offline vaderscommandship

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nathan
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I had a pair of guide gear(sportmansguide) version of military mickeys boots. Lasted 3 trips . laces ripped right thru the gussets. My dad had a pair of leather pac boots from them too. They lasted 2 seasons. I used to buy guide gear stuff. not anymore!!!!
Nathan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.