Author Topic: Sweaty feet...PLEASE HELP!!!  (Read 8916 times)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
Sweaty feet...PLEASE HELP!!!
« on: Nov 18, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Okay, I've been striken with a horrible ailment, no doubt the crafty work of genetics...I have incredibly sweaty feet! This question isn't really ice fishing related, but more so in the hunting department. For hunting, I wear the 18" LaCrosse Burly, with 1200 grams of Thinsulate. Well, they good and warm while I first start out but after walking for a while, my feet sweat like crazy! After they're sweaty, my feet begin to feeling like they're swimming in my socks, and my socks start to slide on me, and become unfomfortable. Of course, once I'm sitting my sweaty feet start to freeze. So what's the deal? I hear that a merino wool, or wool blend, is the best for wicking moisture, so that's what I've bought. Well, they can only wick so much! And trust me, my feet can really produce moisture! I've also tried different dry anti-perspirants, and they only work to a certain extent. I've decided to turn to you guys, because it seems like I'm all out of options! Please...HELP!!!

-Zach

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Sweaty feet...PLEASE HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Hey Zach - You could try a vapor barrier sock - it's basically a plastic bag that wears like a sock.  First you put on a polypropylene sock, then your vapor barrier sock (some people do use plastic bread bags), then your insulating sock over that.  It can be darned uncomfortable and slimy inside there, but the few times I have had to do it, my feet have stayed warm.  One word of warning when you take the vapor barrier sock off at the end of the day, your feet are going to freeze!  Along with being real mushy and smelly!!  ;D :D  If you try this, let me know how it works.
Fishercat

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2004, 06:31 PM »
BABY POWDER!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2004, 06:48 PM »
No joke - one of the companies make a no odor anti persperant you could put on your feet.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:57 AM »
I would recommend trying a spray anti-perspirant and a good wicking liner sock under your merino wool socks.

The liner sock should be made of some type of wicking polyester or polypropylene.  Try Wigwam's Gobi liner, Patagonia's Capilene, or some other high quality liner.

Also, I've read in some backpacking literature that it is best to spray your feet with the anti-perspirant every day for about a week or so before you need it.  Supposedly, it takes a few days worth of application before it becomes most effective.  If you use it only on the day that you need it, it won't work as well.

If all else fails, I would try a new boot that was "breathable".  Depending on whether you need the boots to be waterproof, you have different options.  Cabela's sells very warm Pac boots that have a breathable Gore-Tex style membrain.  If waterproof isn't a great concern, there is a company in Minnesota (I think) that makes Native American style mucklucks out of moose hide that are supposed to be extremely warm and VERY breathable, but I don't believe they're waterproof.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll try (some of) your suggestions. I'm not really crazy about uncomfortable feet, so the barrier sock is out. My main point was that I hate all the problems that come with sweaty feet. I'll try the aerosol anti-perspirant, and I'll pick up some liner socks today. The baby powder may also be an option...I carry it with me while hunting to test the wind, but never thought of using it on my feet. Thanks again, I'll see what happens.

Swimmin' in my socks,

-Zach

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2004, 10:11 AM »
I TOO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, MY FEET WOULD SWEAT AND GET COLD. I MUST HAVE TRIED HALF A DOZEN DIFFERENT BOOTS. THE PROBLEM WAS MY SOCKS .MY FEET WOULD SWEAT , GET MY SOCKS WET THEN THEY WOULD GET COLD. THE ANSWER IS DON'T WEAR SOCKS . BAREFEET WORKS FOR ME . THE MOISTURE WICKS AWAY INTO THE  LINER. AND YOUR FEET ARE DRY AND WARM. TRY IT IT WORKS.

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2004, 10:34 AM »
ChenBassHead i had this problem and the cure for me was odor eaters foot powder with Zorbitex(witch is a mixture of Ingredients including arm & hammer baking soda) Sprinkle it on your feet and in your boots and I'm tellin you the feet will stay dry all day.They claim that it absorbs 110% its weight in sweat.I've used it for 2 years now and it really works great,I never have sweaty feet anymore.its a reasonably priced and easy to use solution to sweaty feet.Give it a try!  ;)

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2004, 10:37 AM »
^^^^Sounds like a comercial! :D

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2004, 01:25 AM »
My feet sweat like crazy too, even when wearing regular casual dress shoes, thank god they don't stink though.

I read a tip somewhere a couple years ago and saw a few people reply to your post already, but a good spray anti perspirant will stop your feet from sweating.  I have been doing it the past couple years when I go ice fishing and my feet have always stayed dry.  Other than the time my old boots  went from waterproof to not waterproof.  Small gouge in side created from lazer auger blade allowed a lot of water to seep in, very cold, very wet, miserable day.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

flaggggg

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2004, 08:47 AM »
hey chen l hear you loud and clear had the same problem.get away from the wool !!! in close quarters wool doesn't work well.my boots are 1600 grams and on some days just way too warm but l switched my footwear inside my boot and it works like a charm.1st layer a pair nylons,[your choice kneehigh or chestwaders]2nd layer a good polypropolene sock liner,3rd and last are carhartt socks.most people aren't aware of it but carhartt makes a good sock non-wool and only about $7.50 a pair.they're big and fluffy from the ankle down thinner from the ankle up and the wick moisture tremendously well.we got enough of aerosals and other stuff in enviroment without having to come up with more reasons to use more.this is cheaper more comfortable and it works.just my 2cents.
flaggggg     :tipup:

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2004, 09:39 AM »
The anti-persperant I was refering to is not an aerosol - it comes in a stick form and has no odor. ;)
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2004, 09:49 AM »
Flaggggg- thanks for the tips, I think that sounds like a good plan. I've found that a polypropelene sock, with a thinner wool sock works when it's cold, but on warmer days, like the past few, my feet still sweat. I'll get over to Tractor Supply, and pick up a pair of the carhartt socks. I think I'll try your system, to see how it works for me. Thanks!

LoneWolf- Okay, I know what you're talking about. I think it's the Hunters Specialties Deodorant, right? The stuff that, when you put it under your arms, rips the hair out because it's so hard? hehe I think I have a stick of that laying around somewhere in my hunting room, so I'll give that a try. Thanks!

-Zach

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2004, 06:18 PM »
I wear light sox and bring a coupple pair to change throughout the day. works for ice fishing and work, but not a long day in a tree stand. I just tuff them days out:)
Anthony

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2004, 07:11 AM »
A little controversy on the anti perspirants. Anyone wonder HOW they work? They are aluminium based and go into the skin and paralyze the nerves that cause sweating. Now some scientist suggest that of course the al doesn't stay there but blood cir carrys it around the body and it may do the same to other nerves. A few feel it may cause or contribute to such things as Alzheimer's disease. Perhaps other Neuro diseases. One top neurobiologist feels that Al is highly impilcated in ALZ. (you generally find a lot of Al in the brain of AlZ victums. Others suggest its a finding not the cause. Amyiloyd protein and other things have gotten more interest but this Neuro says what cause the protien tangles. I'll let you decide.

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Polypropylene and 98% Wool Sock.  I too suffer this genetic flaw.  I finally broke down this year and bought 2 pairs of socks for $25.00.  It is a VERY worth while investment.

Basshuntah

« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:37 PM »
baby power works for me bro, i also like the idea suggested about no socks, comando style. ;D

Offline tuckerdg1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Promisedland, Beltzville, Tobyhanna, NE Pa.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Borax works great. Just sprinkle a little in boots. Not only does it obsorb moisture but it generates heat to keep your feet warm. I learned this from an old timer.They all seem to know what they're talking about so I tried it, and by darn it works.
See ya on the ice. Sean Palmerton Pa.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2005, 12:36 AM »
Zach,

Apparently there are a bunch of us with this same genetic "blessing".

I understand the key to comfort is keeping the foot  (and more importantly what it comes into contact with) dry. Wool will stay warm when wet, (unless the cold is wicked in through the moisture faster than your foot's ability to keep warm). But that does not make the wet Wool sock commfortable. A thin Nylon like previously mentioned or, (I think even better Silk sock liner),  can be placed over your feet between your foot and the wool. This wicks the moisture away from the foot and keeps your foot feeling dry. The type of Poly or Wool sock will vary by your own feet, boots, physical activity and air temp.

Good luck,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2005, 08:24 AM »
I have had that problem also of sweatung feet and sitting for hours with freezing feet. I took a whole different angle to cure the problem.
How long are your socks-boots on before you sit down to icefish? When i leave my house to drive 1 or 2 hours to my icefishing spot i put on regular shoes or sneakers and socks. When i get to a lake i take them all of and dry my feet near the heater outlet of my truck and sprinkle my toes with foot powder. Then i put on a new wool blend of socks and my icefishing boots. Now i have perfectly dry feet to start out the day on location. If i have to do a hard walk or a long walk i change the to the boots-socks right where im going to set up my holes.
Works reel good everytime, because now im not sitting still with pools of sweat in my boots.
crappieloo :tipup:

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2005, 04:47 PM »
I have also tried powders,after a bit seems to "clog" up the pores in my gore-tex boots, which in turn made them not so breatheable.
 I have gone as far as to pack my bots in change at my tree (wore rubber muck boots,good traction,not bad to walk in),but in the end, I now just pack in a dry pair of socks.
 I wear the Rocky brand pack boot comes with a internal liner,a shame this liner is the heart of the boot and isnt very sweaty feet friendly.So after long walks the fresh pair of sock s is King snickers. Oh ya,,chen...change`em on the ground not in the stand,,dropped a boot from 20 foot,,lol,,not a fun climb down..lol

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:27 AM »
[ I have the same problem use anti-persperant deodorant and cayenne pepper. Yea the stuff for cooking it really works :D

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Polypropylene and 98% Wool Sock.  I too suffer this genetic flaw.  I finally broke down this year and bought 2 pairs of socks for $25.00.  It is a VERY worth while investment.

i agree with blackdogs, use polypropylene as a base layer with wool as an outer layer :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.