The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: WHERE'S THEM CRAPPIES??  (Read 1828 times)

RESERVOIR MANIAC

WHERE'S THEM CRAPPIES??
« on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:45 AM »
i do real good at locating and catching eyes but where are the crappies hangin out this time of the season? shallow,deep,points,rocks,flats,structure?? whats the best jigs or baits? i've only spotted a couple on aqua-vu....maybe i'm too much of a walleye freak!!!

RESERVOIR MANIAC

Re: WHERE'S THEM CRAPPIES??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2005, 06:06 AM »
oops forgot the important part....what depths are they hanging around mainly? i've seen a few a foot off bottom with aqua-vu but are they normally suspending?

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 01:49 AM »
Down here in southern MN, 95% of craps are gonna be suspending.  The levels can vary a ton, though.  On Independance, we catch them at 20' to 10' under the ice in 50' of water.  Normally, though, they'll be in about 25-35 ft.  Check out spots that have a shallow bay with access to deep water.  Contrary to what most people would think, don't look for steep drops.  Look for a nice, even drop-off.  Evening and night you should be able to get 'em in 12' to 15', usually within 3' of bottom.  On lakes up north, however, most craps will still be fairly close to bottom, 2' - 3', but still in 30' to 45'.  Some lakes they will suspend, but while I was living up there most lakes have fish next to bottom.  Again, look for shallow bays with access to deep water.  Oh yeah, and I've found sandy/muck to muck bottom seems to be best.  Also, another thing to look for is if the bay you are fishing has green weeds.  If you're fishing a lake with 2 good-looking bays, & one has green weeds shallow and the other weeds are dead, you can bet both evening and day they'll be in the "live" bay.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

RESERVOIR MANIAC

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 02:33 AM »
sweet thanks, as i started to read that i got places already in my mind to check out, i know one night i was fishing for walleyes in 25ft of water and my flasher kept going off like crazy between 12 and 17 ft. i only had big jigs with fatty's but i'm thinking all them flashes were crappies...i should go check it out with some crappie minnows or waxies!!

Jiggathon

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2005, 11:36 AM »
there in the lake underneath the ice, silly ::) :D

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2005, 07:35 AM »
just look for structure: small holes, weeds, shrubs, trees, etc.. :o ;D ;D ;D ;D
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.