The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Advice on Winnebago burbot  (Read 1854 times)

Offline mad_max

• IceShanty Rookie
Advice on Winnebago burbot
« on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:05 PM »
I'd like to try burbot fishing in Lake Winnebago this month, and was hoping to get some advice from people who've fished for them consistently and successfully.

The main issue I'm trying to figure out is when to go. Some people tell me that the mid to late February is the best time (pre-spawn when they gather on reefs), while others say that it's best to target the weeks on either side of the first full moon in February, which is very early this year.

What timing has worked best for burbot on Winnebago? From what I've heard, if you miss the spawning window they're more or less scattered randomly and hard to pattern with any consistency.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Advice on Winnebago burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:50 PM »
In my experience the spawn is the only time to consistently catch them, Longpoint reef in van dyne is a great area to find them. I don’t have any comments on moon phase, I just start checking mid February unless I hear something earlier. One great resource is the local spear fisherman. You can take a ride to Wendts tavern that has a dnr weigh station and talk to many good folks who have been staring down a hole for the last two weeks and believe me they all network with oodles of different information a fisherman may find of good use. Water clarity, ice conditions, perch schools, and of course if the pout are in yet. Be careful though as the ice in this area changes very quickly and can be some of the most unpredictable ice on the lake as it is so shallow with rock below the ice. When the temps warm with full sun there is a reflection that melts the ice from both sides. As well as an insane amount of traffic with sturgeon spearing and the battle on bago.

Offline mad_max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:17 PM »
Thanks for the information. I tried fishing that area last year, I think I was a little late (last week in February). About how long does the bite window of pre through post-spawn usually last?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2023, 05:56 PM »
I’m not an expert but from my experience and the reports from friends the best bite is a few days typically. When they initially move in the large females will have 4 or 5 males swirling around them in a pout tornado as they drop their eggs the males milt. That has been a very successful time for me. After the females have dropped their eggs the males patrol the humps and eat anything that may be harassing the fertilized eggs. That’s when the majority of fish caught are the smaller males. I haven’t had the time to get a very accurate time frame of these two faze’s  of the spawn but good catch reports are usually only for a week or so. There are certainly guys with more experience and years dedicated to chasing these creatures that could call bull on my figures this has just been my personal experience. If you don’t live very far away and are determined to hit the best bite I would start scouting/fishing now. Grab a 6 pack, be friendly and talk to some folks on the ice out there. There are a few guys very excited about the spawn every year. Post on lake-link and ask anyone willing to share information on eel pout to d.m. You. I’ve seen guys offer info in the past. All I can say is when you time it up right it is absolutely some of the funnest fishing I have ever experienced. Watching the swarms of males and a female on an underwater camera, having a big pout hit all three spoons under my permanent shack, and the lobster/pout bites drowned in melted butter and chased with a cold beer! Life doesn’t get much better!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.