The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Lansing Hardwater  (Read 62643 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lansing Hardwater
« Reply #360 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:28 PM »
I think there is a for sale section or used to be but unless nationwide shipping is an option posting in the atate you are selling in makes sense so people from all over dont try tonget it
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #361 on: Jan 12, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Did a little searching on iceshanty, found that you need a user account and be a member of the militia to post items in the for sale section. 

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Jan 13, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Wingsfan you giving up already?! Lol
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #363 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Nah..... not giving up. I misspoke, it's not a Yukon, it's actually a Voyager. Just to big to handle by myself any more.

Got to love these temps being in the teen's at night.
Any one been by Morrison or anything around Lansing?

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I might go out and check a couple spots to day on the westside. I’ll let everyone know. My pool has about 2 1/2-3” clear black. But obviously that’s not a great ice update but usually at first ice, whatever is on top of the pool is darn close to what I find on the smaller ponds.
I’m a psycho and will sleep in the parking lot so I can get out on the ice before you.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I'm too busy to go out before Friday night, or Saturday.  I'm thinking Morrison or Tupper.  Parking at Tupper sux, but if I get there early enough Saturday morning it will be fine.  With our global warming and shorter ice fishing season, I'm really not into the local lansing fishing.  Crego, Hawk Island, Interstate, etc.  Total Firearms pit is nice, but they don't want to let you out there until there is like 8" of ice.  I'm going to drive a ways to try and catch something during our new limited ice season.  I'm old.  I remember being able to just go out and drive around on the ice for 4-6 weeks each winter.  Now you can't walk on the ice that much.  I take my kids to Taekwondo and Japanese Jiu Jitsu classes Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, or I'd probably try going out sooner.   My employer owns a very nice small lake.  I can see it from my desk.  But lawyers scared them into putting up no fishing signs all around it.  It makes me so sad..:( 
- Joe

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:32 PM »
I just realized, my join date here is 2006. And I ice fished like 41 years before that.  I'm OAF, and still don't have a clue.:)

- Joe

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #367 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:12 PM »
It's not just the age, Joe, it's dragging all that "must bring" gear.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:29 PM »
It's not just the age, Joe, it's dragging all that "must bring" gear.

So true.  I used to drive a little old rusty car.  I'd have 2 buckets, one for a seat, and one full of gear.  And a 6" Mora auger.  I caught tons of fish.
Now it's Grand Caravan, fish finder, underwater camera, Shappel 3000 shanty with skis, Big Buddy heater, fancy drill auger, on and on.  And I think I catch less fish. 
- Joe

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Any one heading out tomorrow, and braving the cold and snow? Not a fan of fishing in single digits, but may give it try, since I have to work on Sunday. 

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #370 on: Jan 20, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Well....... I passed on fishing yesterday.  As of 7:45 this morning, it's a balmy - 1*. Should be making ice, even with the few inches of snow we got yesterday. Off to work shortly. Good luck to you die hards that make it out today. Let us know how you did.

Offline iceman J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Anyone made it out around Lansing since the cold snap? I'm itching to get out this week and been way to busy with work to go check any lakes for ice thickness lately .  Any info on ice thickness appreciated.       Good luck and tight lines to all and remember to be safe out there even though it's late January it's still early ice lol

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #372 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Going out today to check some spots. I’m sure it’s all good by now. We’ll see. Talk to you guys later tonight

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Going to check out Cregro tommorow if can't get on will check Hawk Island Anybody won't to join
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:08 PM »
My boys hit Ovid today (I know) they found 4 to 5 inches between the launch and the island.
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Anyone want to go out fishing Sunday?  I'm open to anyplace with a rep for decent fish.  Morrison, Jordan, Tupper if I can get parking.  I need to call Total Firearms and see if it is safe there.  The rain could have taken out all the ice around the edge, and it's deep for it's size and freezes over late.  I'm open to other places also.  Just no Crego or  Ovid or Interstate..  You get the idea.  The cold and wind doesn't scare me.
- Joe

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I stopped into Total the other day "Tuesday" and there were 2 fellas fishing directly behind the store, 4 inches the one guy said.
Didn't ask where they gained access but I assumed in was through Total due to how close they were fishing to it.
Been wrong once before though.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #377 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:58 PM »
My only experience with Total was this summer.  I took one of their little boats, and tossed a 3.5 Merc outboard, and a Garmin Striker 4 fish finder on it.  I was seeing groups of decent size fish all over the place, but nothing bit on what I had to offer that day.  From what I've seen, and what I've heard, I think the place has potential.  They charge $5 to park and ice fish from their lot.  It's a strange long narrow lake.  It drops right off from the edge to 25' most places.  I didn't see any weeds or cover, just groups of fish.  It has Crappie, Bluegill, Bass, and maybe a pike in it.
- Joe

Offline usedone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Checked the ice on Crego yesterday just for grins. 6 inches near shore of pier. 2 hubs out, but did not check.
I will try Interstate today. After 20 years, finally found two areas for great gill beds last summer. 7 dozen gills in 9 days. From 6-8 inches. Am going to try near those drop offs.

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #379 on: Jan 26, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I'm headed to Lake Lansing. I've never ice fished it before. Hoping we can find something worth the struggle.
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline Oldreddbeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #380 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Been working overtime as of late so haven’t gotten out much in the Lansing area. Got out over the weekend in the EGR area, bite was slow. Right now I’m in no rush to fish in these temps. But this weekend will be game on! With the warmup, and the “new moon phase” this weekend I think will be a good bite most anywhere. And I would also imagine the ice should be fairly safe most everywhere as well. However, I’d say by Sunday, with the crazy heat wave, the ice could get soft with so much melted snow and possible rain water on top. So as always be careful fellas. Also as far as Lake Lansing goes, I caught my personal best crappie out of there last year 14 3/4 inch, however, I don’t think I’ve ever caught anything besides hammer handle pike and micro perch before and since then. Shoot I don’t even think I’ve even caught a hill out of there and I have a fair amount of hours on that lake. Maybe I’m just unlucky, or maybe it’s just one of those lakes you have to fish regularly to find a good pattern. Lots of fun tulip fishing out there though if you’re just looking for some action. Lots of healthy bass, and always hammer handle pike. The lady lives going there to tip up fish with me.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #381 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Heading to Morrison in the morning.  Hoping to be there before first light. Will be around the point north west of the island. Dark brown camo coat if I'm toughing it out or a clam blazer. Good luck to everyone this weekend. 

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:55 PM »
I briefly considered going to Morrison tomorrow, but I'm guessing soon after first light the parking lot will be full. Being an early bird you'll probably catch the worm! I haven't been there this year but I'd say the ice should be good. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #383 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:12 PM »
I was rabbit hunting last Sunday in Ionia. So I took a quick drive over to Morrison to check it out. Parking lot was full and guessing about 30 shanties out from the launch. Not to worried about ice conditions now.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:34 AM »
On my way to Morrison for my first ice fishing trip. Good luck to everyone that makes it out today.  Will give an update in a few hours. 

Offline FragsFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #385 on: Feb 02, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I’m heading to Morrison early tomorrow AM. I just moved here from Chicago. Where should I park on Morrison? Wingsfan are you heading out tomorrow too?

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #386 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Park at the boat launch on the north side of the lake. I was there at 7:06 this morning, and there were at least a dozen vehicles already there. Fished from 7:45'ish till 4 pm. Mid day bite was super slow. One keeper an hour, maybe. Punched about 20 holes with my hand auger. Tried deeper and shallower didnt mark very much and when I did, they just looked. Got enough for a decent meal between the two of us. I'll have to check with the boss for tomorrow.  Will let you know. Oh yeah..... snow got heavy from the warm up, and started pushing water up through the holes. Getting slushy out there.

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #387 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:54 PM »
My wife and I went the other direction to the Waterloo area. Also slow with a lot of lookers but enough would bite to keep it interesting. After five hours we brought home 20. They mostly just looked at my small tungsten jig with spike or plastic. I generally think if they don't like a small presentation they'll like something bigger even less. But just for the heck of it I tried a clam bomb with three spikes. A big gob of metal and meat. I won't say they hammered it, but it did seem to turn a few more lookers into biters. Close to 10 inches of ice. Surprisingly little snow, and that had turned to slush by the time we came off.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Question for my fellow Lansing fishermen. I tried calling grand river bait and tackle the other day, and the phone number was disconnected.  Does any one know if they are still in business? If they are, does anyone have a good phone number for them? Google gave me the same number I already had.
Thanks. 

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #389 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Question for my fellow Lansing fishermen. I tried calling grand river bait and tackle the other day, and the phone number was disconnected.  Does any one know if they are still in business? If they are, does anyone have a good phone number for them? Google gave me the same number I already had.
Thanks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.